How long does it take to break in tyres?

General bike chat that does not fit elsewhere
Prhymeate

How long does it take to break in tyres?

Postby Prhymeate » Sun Jun 23, 2013 23:08 pm

I'm off to the Alps on Saturday and currently have 23mm gatorskins. For some reason I keep stumbling across articles and posts about the gatorksins poor grip and at the same time I've been tempted to try 25mm tyres.

I'm thinking of getting some 25mm GP4000S's which will hopefully give me a smoother ride and more grip (ideally with similar puncture prevention) but wondered roughly how long tyres can take to wear in? I don't want to end up flat on my face at the first downhill switchback because of fresh tyres. The gatorskins are the only tyres I've bought and don't really remember having any change in their feel/control.

I know there is not guaranteed answer, but a rough idea would be good so I can figure out if I'll have worn them in enough by next week...or maybe I'm over thinking it all?
Last edited by Prhymeate on Mon Jun 24, 2013 06:47 am, edited 1 time in total.

Sprool

Re: How long does it take to break in tyres?

Postby Sprool » Sun Jun 23, 2013 23:30 pm

I went from Conti Ultra 23's to GP4000s 25's and they felt better from the start. Slightly less pressure giving a smoother ride and feeling a bit more sure-footed over rough surfaces while cornering. No break-in time necessary.

Wily-Quixote

Postby Wily-Quixote » Mon Jun 24, 2013 05:41 am

Tyres need breaking in?

Bobbinogs

Postby Bobbinogs » Mon Jun 24, 2013 06:23 am

GP4000S 's really are great tyres, in all conditions, but there are the obvious trade offs for race tyres (they can cut up easily and are not the world's most durable tyres).

I always 'wash off' new tyres with a soapy sponge and then give them a quick rinse as I find that most manufacturers leave a small waxy glaze on (helps to remove tyres from the moulds, apparently). I then give then a gentle 'once around' with very very light sandpaper. In use, I then find that they only need about 25 miles or so before I can trust them totally. If I want to be doubly sure, then after 25 miles I will swap the f/r so that the front gets its proper share of wear in.

I know it all sounds a bit obsesive but I figure that the time is well spent if it helps that thin strip of rubber keep me upright when tearing down hills at up to 50 mph.

diy

Postby diy » Mon Jun 24, 2013 07:18 am

20 miles should do it, but you have to be careful the first time you lean over as you may have scrubbed the centre in but be on new rubber when you take a corner.

On a motorbike you typically work on the first 50-100 miles as scrub in time, but most motorbike riders will be cautious on tight bends leaning over for the first 250 or so.

mamba80

Postby mamba80 » Mon Jun 24, 2013 08:07 am

The gp4000s i ve used have never needed any sort of break in period, they always feel very grippy out the box - @100psi ish for 23mm and 78kg rider
If you want to be sure though, scrub (scotch brite) them with white vineger, for the track that is what bc reckon and has worked for for any tire we ve used, then just a few laps steady.

Never found them to cut up or wear excessively, a great all round tyre.

Slowbike

Postby Slowbike » Mon Jun 24, 2013 09:05 am

Wily-Quixote wrote:Tyres need breaking in?

Yes ...

To remove the manufacturing residue ... you should always be careful the first few miles ... how many "few" is depends on the type of riding you're doing...

For the OP - If you've not got any problems with your current tyres I'd stick with them. For the simple reason that you know them, know how they feel and they're already run in.
If you'd wanted to change them to different model you should get quite a few miles in before committing yourself to a major ride(s).
The 4000s are good tyres and you should have no problems - but if you do decide to get them (and can put a few miles in before you go) then take your current tyres as backups ... thats what I'd do anyway. :)

racingcondor

Postby racingcondor » Mon Jun 24, 2013 11:41 am

Depends on the brand too.

I've never thought Conti's needed much breaking in so 10-20 miles should do it. Michelins however are covered in a waxy substance and I'd take a bit of care on them for the first 20-30. Never worried about it much though.

OP - Go with the GP4000S, they are a much better better tyre than the Gatorskins and tend to last well even on the UK's roads.

drlodge

Postby drlodge » Mon Jun 24, 2013 11:49 am

Oh yes, just like hifi speakers :D
WyndyMilla Massive Attack | Rourke 953 | Condor Italia 531 Pro | Boardman CX Pro | DT Swiss RR440 Tubeless Wheels
Find me on Strava

Slowbike

Postby Slowbike » Mon Jun 24, 2013 12:32 pm

drlodge wrote:

What - the ones on the bike handlebars ... !

Joelsim

Postby Joelsim » Mon Jun 24, 2013 16:58 pm

Slowbike wrote:
drlodge wrote:

What - the ones on the bike handlebars ... !

http://the-gadgeteer.com/wp-content/uploads/2011/08/foxlv2-bt-speaker.jpg
My men 2016: Kung, Meintjes, MA Lopez, Betancur, A Yates, S Yates, Gaviria, Taaramae. Bonus: Teunissen

www.catsittersw17.co.uk

Prhymeate

Postby Prhymeate » Mon Jun 24, 2013 17:49 pm

Cheers for all the replies guys, much appreciated. Slowbike, maybe you are right and I should stick with my current tyres... I'm just trying to get any advantage I can to help me get up and down the alps!
I'll have a think about it as I should have time to order them and get a few miles on them before I leave. Either way, the GP4000s's are definitely on my list of tyres to try next though.

Return to “Road General”