Triple to compact

Ask for advice or share your fettling tips
Markwb79

Triple to compact

Postby Markwb79 » Wed Jul 10, 2013 14:41 pm

sorry I didnt use the search....

What needs changing to go from Ultegra triple to a compact?

Just the crank, or levers too?
Scott Addict 2011
Giant TCR 2012

martinperry

Re: Triple to compact

Postby martinperry » Wed Jul 10, 2013 14:54 pm

Bottom bracket as well (shorter shaft)
Think shifters are OK since self limiting, but dont quote me on that

keef66

Postby keef66 » Wed Jul 10, 2013 15:56 pm

If it's a Hollowtech 2 type crank then the BB is the same; the spindle is integral to the drive side crank / spider.

Crankset, front mech, and possibly the left hand shifter.

Gozzy

Postby Gozzy » Wed Jul 10, 2013 17:36 pm

Shifters are fine.
You should set it up so that the big ring up shift moves to the big ring. Middle position goes to the inner ring.
The low limit screw on inner ring stops the chain going inwards when you inevitably accidently release down to what would be the granny ring and you'll be safely releasing cable tension if you move to the unused granny ring shift position.

If you set it up so that the big ring shift position is unused, you'll find yourself trying to snap the cable if you accidently shift to the unused gear.

This is the 3rd thread I've offered that advice to in the last week. Is is triple dumping season?

Markwb79

Postby Markwb79 » Wed Jul 10, 2013 20:21 pm

Gozzy wrote:Shifters are fine.
You should set it up so that the big ring up shift moves to the big ring. Middle position goes to the inner ring.
The low limit screw on inner ring stops the chain going inwards when you inevitably accidently release down to what would be the granny ring and you'll be safely releasing cable tension if you move to the unused granny ring shift position.

If you set it up so that the big ring shift position is unused, you'll find yourself trying to snap the cable if you accidently shift to the unused gear.

This is the 3rd thread I've offered that advice to in the last week. Is is triple dumping season?

Now l'etape is over, maybe you are right!

If you know of anyone wanting to go the other way. sure some sort of swap might be possible
Scott Addict 2011
Giant TCR 2012

Return to “Workshop”