Selle Italia Max Flite

General bike chat that does not fit elsewhere
Elfed

Selle Italia Max Flite

Postby Elfed » Mon Aug 19, 2013 10:59 am

Has anybody here not got on with this saddle and if not what did you find as a better alternative?

I've tried the saddle level and with various degrees of forward tilt but still get pain in my sit bones after about 20 miles.
I've tried chamois cream but no change, infact I'd say the cream highlights the problem even more.
I've got Endura fs260 pro bib shorts which should be ok, and there doesn't seem to be a difference to the other three pairs which didn't cost as much.

I'm 102kg and 6'6" so I'm a bit bigger than usual plus there's probably more saddle to bar drop than the usual.

I know saddles are a very personal thing but I'm curious if somebody else has experienced this and what else did they try and what was successful. .

drlodge

Re: Selle Italia Max Flite

Postby drlodge » Mon Aug 19, 2013 11:15 am

Are you referring to the Max Flite Gel Flow model...?

I've had some experience with this saddle, its not at all bad compared to some others...

First off, I have an older version Flite Gel Flow on the Condor, so when I ordered the Rourke, I specified the same. The Rourke came with a newer version Flite Gel Flow that is no longer available. However it gave problems in that the rails were not secure so I actually ended up with Max Flite Gel Flow for a while as a replacement. Comfort wise its about the same, a little wider perhaps but I didn't notice much aching in my sit bones. Long story short, I replaced these saddles for a Selle SMP Lite 209 which is great, BUT on long rides (50 miles +) I do still get some aching on my sit bones but nothing a little stretch now and again won't resolve. I'm 75 kg.

At your weight of 100kg+ I'm not surprised you get aching on the sit bones. To some extent more cycling will delay the onset and harden you up. Saddles are a very personal thing and I can only suggest you try some other saddles if you can, to see if they make an improvement. However I wouldn't hold out too much hope for the "silver bullet", as you are always going to have a fair bit of weight concentrated over a small area of your butt.
WyndyMilla Massive Attack | Rourke 953 | Condor Italia 531 Pro | Boardman CX Pro | DT Swiss RR440 Tubeless Wheels
Find me on Strava

Elfed

Postby Elfed » Mon Aug 19, 2013 12:02 pm

Hi, thanks for the quick reply.

Yes, it's the same saddle as in your picture, which according to a lot of reviews is supposed to be very comfy.
I've ridden about 1400 miles on this saddle so not a case of waiting for it to break in, and yes being 102kg doesn't help but really I've not much more weight to lose or I'll be way too thin.

One thing I've been doing is running the saddle with a slight tilt down to alieviate numbness, maybe I try it perfectly level again?

Funnily enough these problems are far worse since using the chamois cream and better shorts, which makes no sense.

drlodge

Postby drlodge » Mon Aug 19, 2013 12:41 pm

I run my saddles with the very slightest bit of down tilt. I would try running it level or damn near level and go from there.

Not sure about the use of higher quality shorts making things worse. Some have tried 2 pairs of padded shorts - may be try that and see how you get on?
WyndyMilla Massive Attack | Rourke 953 | Condor Italia 531 Pro | Boardman CX Pro | DT Swiss RR440 Tubeless Wheels
Find me on Strava

Elfed

Postby Elfed » Mon Aug 19, 2013 18:47 pm

I'll set the saddle so it's running parallel to floor and try it on a ride tomorrow night.

If I end up having to wear two pairs of cycling shorts then something definitely needs to change :lol:

Many thanks

Return to “Road General”