deep mark on carbon frame

General bike chat that does not fit elsewhere
gubber12345
Posts: 419
Joined: Mon Nov 19, 2012 20:00 pm

deep mark on carbon frame

Postby gubber12345 » Tue Aug 20, 2013 18:49 pm

hi all

need to pick your brains about a mark I got on the diagonal tube on my carbon frame.i did a charity cycle a few weeks back which didn't finish at the start point so the bikes were packed into a van and brought home that way.although they were put in carefully enough something has rubbed the gear cable against my frame and rubbed the lacquer and paint off right down to the carbon.any ideas as to the best way of fixing this.i was thinking of painting it in the same colour and then spraying some lacquer over it again or is this the wrong thing to do.

any help or tips would be well appreciated.

PS..
sorry I don't have a pic.
cannondale supersix

User avatar
trooperk
Posts: 191
Joined: Mon May 17, 2010 18:42 pm

Re: deep mark on carbon frame

Postby trooperk » Tue Aug 20, 2013 20:28 pm

Sounds OK, just do that then, but if you not sure take it to a bike shop you trust for second opinion.
Specialized-The clitoris of bikes.

gubber12345
Posts: 419
Joined: Mon Nov 19, 2012 20:00 pm

Re: deep mark on carbon frame

Postby gubber12345 » Thu Aug 22, 2013 18:53 pm

trooperk wrote:Sounds OK, just do that then, but if you not sure take it to a bike shop you trust for second opinion.

:idea: :wink:
cannondale supersix

Dmak
Posts: 418
Joined: Mon Sep 06, 2010 21:16 pm

Re: deep mark on carbon frame

Postby Dmak » Thu Aug 22, 2013 19:00 pm

Sounds to me as though the damage has been caused by general use. There should frame protecting transparent stickers on the frame where each cable makes contact with the frame. My LBS neglected to put them on my bike, tossers. I didn't even know they were needed until I realised the cables had worn through the paint completely.

I could be talking rubbish of course

TakeTurns
Posts: 998
Joined: Sun Sep 09, 2012 11:31 am

Re: deep mark on carbon frame

Postby TakeTurns » Thu Aug 22, 2013 19:16 pm

I thought this was going to end in "Should I sue the charity ride organisers" - what a relief!

gubber12345
Posts: 419
Joined: Mon Nov 19, 2012 20:00 pm

Re: deep mark on carbon frame

Postby gubber12345 » Thu Aug 22, 2013 19:52 pm

TakeTurns wrote:I thought this was going to end in "Should I sue the charity ride organisers" - what a relief!

:lol: :lol: :lol: na na nothing that vicious mate
cannondale supersix

gubber12345
Posts: 419
Joined: Mon Nov 19, 2012 20:00 pm

Re: deep mark on carbon frame

Postby gubber12345 » Thu Aug 22, 2013 19:54 pm

Dmak wrote:Sounds to me as though the damage has been caused by general use. There should frame protecting transparent stickers on the frame where each cable makes contact with the frame. My LBS neglected to put them on my bike, tossers. I didn't even know they were needed until I realised the cables had worn through the paint completely.

I could be talking rubbish of course

nope the mark was caused by something rubbing against it.i wash and clean my bike after every ride so I know it wasn't there before the charity run.
cannondale supersix


Return to “Road General”

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: Andcp, Dowtcha, Hooch1987, hugo15, xscreamsuk and 8 guests