Shock Help

Discuss the eternal "Which fork/bike/tyres should I buy?" questions.
morleyman200

Shock Help

Postby morleyman200 » Tue Aug 20, 2013 18:51 pm

Hello all

My brother is having a problem with his shock and bushings. Over time his bike has started to produce some play, When you lift the seat the play is apparent.
He has a X-fusion O2 RC shock, the shock its self is fine, compression and rebound damping all working well.
The problem lies with the bushings and the eyelets. The eyelet in the top has elongated, rather than circular it is now oval in the vertical direction.
Took the shock to a steel fabricator to see if he could make me some bushings for it, but he said i'd be pissing money away, as the problem lies in the shock its self. He checked the eyelets and confirmed they are oblong.

Have any of you come across this situation before?

Any ideas what to do?

Thanks Tom

POAH

Re: Shock Help

Postby POAH » Tue Aug 20, 2013 18:56 pm

sounds like its been ridden a lot with movement in the bushes so its been elongated. probably need to get a new cap and mounting hardware.

cooldad

Postby cooldad » Tue Aug 20, 2013 19:06 pm

Could only have happened if he wore right through the bushings - are you sure?
I don't do smileys.

There is no secret ingredient - Kung Fu Panda

London Calling on Facebook

Parktools

morleyman200

Postby morleyman200 » Tue Aug 20, 2013 19:23 pm

positive, the bushing are still intact, just worn on the insides where they sit into the shock eyelet, there is no play laterally, just play vertically which supports the fact the eyelet has been elongated

benpinnick

Postby benpinnick » Tue Aug 20, 2013 19:29 pm

What bike is it on? I cannot see how you could elongate the bush housing. There's just not enough force pulling the shock.
A Flock of Birds
+ some other bikes.

morleyman200

Postby morleyman200 » Tue Aug 20, 2013 20:16 pm

Merida One Twenty TFS 400D

http://www.merida-bikes.com/de_de/bike/ ... +TFS+400-D

Ive had the eyelet measured in the vertical and the horizontal and the vertical is longer than the horizontal, hence why it has elongated, im just telling you what i have found from measurements

trooperk

Postby trooperk » Tue Aug 20, 2013 20:23 pm

picture will help.
Specialized-The clitoris of bikes.

YeehaaMcgee

Postby YeehaaMcgee » Tue Aug 20, 2013 20:34 pm

benpinnick wrote:I cannot see how you could elongate the bush housing. There's just not enough force pulling the shock.

Doesn't have to be pulling the shock. If the rear shock was always bottoming out due to chronically low air pressure/spring rate, then the suspension linkage would be crushing it, potentially elongating the eyelets inwards by hammering away at the shock body.

morleyman200

Postby morleyman200 » Tue Aug 20, 2013 20:36 pm

shock pressure was never that low, always maintained sag, but my brother does like to throw his bike about, more so than the average person

I would upload a photo, but you cant see the extent of the damage from a photo, so thought it was pretty pointless,

benpinnick

Postby benpinnick » Tue Aug 20, 2013 20:48 pm

Just to clarify, and please be patient as I know hundreds of riders over two decades of running shocks and Ive never heard of one issue like this, is the bushing (not the aluminium top hats) still round, or has that ovalised too? To Yeehaa's point did your brother suffer from a lot of bottoming out? Is he prone to hucking off cliffs and the like?
A Flock of Birds
+ some other bikes.

morleyman200

Postby morleyman200 » Thu Aug 22, 2013 11:31 am

I didn't get the bushings measured, but I will do that tonight, but they look circular by eye.
The shock eyelet has become elongated and it's noticeable by eye, will measure again tonight to see actual measurements.

My brother does throw his bike around a lot, but likes a firm feeling, so the shock doesn't go to the point of bottoming out.

Like you all I am confused as I wouldn't expect the shock part to fail.

If there are any more details needed, I will do my best to get them accross

Thanks your help
Tom

YeehaaMcgee

Postby YeehaaMcgee » Thu Aug 22, 2013 11:56 am

Pictures would help clarify. If it's noticeable by eye, then it's noticeable by an electronic eye.

Pesky Jones

Postby Pesky Jones » Thu Aug 22, 2013 12:22 pm

YeehaaMcgee wrote:Pictures would help clarify. If it's noticeable by eye, then it's noticeable by an electronic eye.

Er, I dont know if that's right; the angle you take the photo of the hole will determine whether the hole appears circular of ovaled. You'd have to be pretty accurate

YeehaaMcgee

Postby YeehaaMcgee » Thu Aug 22, 2013 13:07 pm

Pesky Jones wrote:
YeehaaMcgee wrote:Pictures would help clarify. If it's noticeable by eye, then it's noticeable by an electronic eye.

Er, I dont know if that's right

Yes, it is.

Pesky Jones

Postby Pesky Jones » Thu Aug 22, 2013 13:25 pm

It's not surprising that you have taken that part of my comment in the quote to reply to - given your nature, but would you care to explain why what I said is wrong?

YeehaaMcgee

Postby YeehaaMcgee » Thu Aug 22, 2013 13:35 pm

Because, if you can see it by eye, then a camera can see it.
Cameras aren't magic. Apart from that, I just can't explain it, since I cannot even to begin to fathom why you'd insist otherwise.

Pesky Jones

Postby Pesky Jones » Thu Aug 22, 2013 13:57 pm

YeehaaMcgee wrote:Because, if you can see it by eye, then a camera can see it.
Ok, so are you saying that this ;
The angle you take the photo of the hole will determine whether the hole appears circular of ovaled

isn't true?

YeehaaMcgee wrote:Apart from that, I just can't explain it, since I cannot even to begin to fathom why you'd insist otherwise.

Because you are infamous for saying "Just saying it does isn't enough", pot, kettle, black springs to mind

YeehaaMcgee

Postby YeehaaMcgee » Thu Aug 22, 2013 14:22 pm

What the hell are you on about?
Yeah, you could take a picture with a ******* fisheye lens and distort it to hell as well. But even then we'd still have a better understanding of what exactly is being talked about.
I'm lost for words. Just... Wha... What the hell is the matter with you?

Pesky Jones

Postby Pesky Jones » Thu Aug 22, 2013 14:25 pm

YeehaaMcgee wrote:What the hell are you on about?
Yeah, you could take a picture with a ******* fisheye lens and distort it to hell as well. But even then we'd still have a better understanding of what exactly is being talked about.

Oh so you've realised your mistake and are now trying to make it look like it was obvious to you before. Atleast your not going to continue arguing a retarded argument for the sake of it.

YeehaaMcgee

Postby YeehaaMcgee » Thu Aug 22, 2013 15:29 pm

Pesky Jones wrote:
YeehaaMcgee wrote:What the hell are you on about?

Oh so you've realised your mistake and are now trying to make it look like it was obvious to you before. Atleast your not going to continue arguing a retarded argument for the sake of it.

What bloody mistake? You're the only mistake here.
All I said was that a photo would help us figure out what's going on.

Return to “MTB Buying Advice”