charity XC event.(fork upgrade)

Sorting out your thrunge brackets, fettling your inter-rositers and even stuff about bike parts.
User avatar
fredblob
Posts: 208
Joined: Wed Aug 28, 2013 21:48 pm

charity XC event.(fork upgrade)

Postby fredblob » Sun Sep 01, 2013 00:42 am

so ive apllied/registered interest do a local charity XC/cross country event on 13th October

http://www.stedmundswheel.org.uk/newride.html

just wondering if it was worth me considering a possible upgrade to my current forks before entering im not mega competitive but i would like to win or least finish in the top 5.

currently forks are

SR SUNTOUR XCR-LO, COIL, 100MM, LOCKOUT, 1-1/8"

jus wondering what people would recommend and how easy they are to fit if any upgrade is needed thanks or advice.
cannondale trail SL 4
IN SPACE NO ONE CAN HEAR YOU SCREAM.......

User avatar
WindyG
Posts: 1071
Joined: Sun Aug 19, 2012 18:30 pm

Re: charity XC event.(fork upgrade)

Postby WindyG » Sun Sep 01, 2013 06:41 am

You do realise it's just a charity ride not a race? Where you finish doesn't matter, I wouldn't bother upgrading just for that event.

raldat
Posts: 227
Joined: Mon Sep 10, 2012 08:34 am

Re: charity XC event.(fork upgrade)

Postby raldat » Sun Sep 01, 2013 06:56 am

I would not bother upgrading.

On another topic, glad to note they state that all of the proceeds go to charity. A 'mate' of mine once set up a company to run charity bike rides. All good and noble except that down in the colonies at least (Australia), he only needed to donate 4% of gross revenue to charity to market it as a charity event, and that was tax deductible. I always felt that was a little wrong...

User avatar
fredblob
Posts: 208
Joined: Wed Aug 28, 2013 21:48 pm

Re: charity XC event.(fork upgrade)

Postby fredblob » Sun Sep 01, 2013 08:36 am

raldat wrote:I would not bother upgrading.

On another topic, glad to note they state that all of the proceeds go to charity. A 'mate' of mine once set up a company to run charity bike rides. All good and noble except that down in the colonies at least (Australia), he only needed to donate 4% of gross revenue to charity to market it as a charity event, and that was tax deductible. I always felt that was a little wrong...


sounds a little wrong should donate atleast 50% sounds as your mate was doing it to make quick money rather then help a charity out not very good of him :( .

@windyG oops my bad guess its pretty hard to win some thing with no positions :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:

ill guess ill save my money for a drink or two after the event then : :P


thanks for the advice
cannondale trail SL 4
IN SPACE NO ONE CAN HEAR YOU SCREAM.......

User avatar
njee20
Posts: 9490
Joined: Mon Nov 26, 2007 20:06 pm

Re: charity XC event.(fork upgrade)

Postby njee20 » Sun Sep 01, 2013 09:28 am

Or donate some of it to charity...

Even if it was a race you wouldn't lose because of your forks!

User avatar
YeehaaMcgee
Posts: 5955
Joined: Sun Feb 26, 2012 13:30 pm

Re: charity XC event.(fork upgrade)

Postby YeehaaMcgee » Sun Sep 01, 2013 13:04 pm

fredblob wrote:im not mega competitive but i would like to win or least finish in the top 5.

er...

That's like when someone starts a sentence with "now, I'm no racist, but..."

User avatar
fredblob
Posts: 208
Joined: Wed Aug 28, 2013 21:48 pm

Re: charity XC event.(fork upgrade)

Postby fredblob » Mon Sep 02, 2013 14:16 pm

YeehaaMcgee wrote:
fredblob wrote:im not mega competitive but i would like to win or least finish in the top 5.

er...

That's like when someone starts a sentence with "now, I'm no racist, but..."


ive started many a sentence like that the key is to be very careful with what you say after that :D
cannondale trail SL 4
IN SPACE NO ONE CAN HEAR YOU SCREAM.......

User avatar
fredblob
Posts: 208
Joined: Wed Aug 28, 2013 21:48 pm

Re: charity XC event.(fork upgrade)

Postby fredblob » Mon Sep 02, 2013 14:17 pm

njee20 wrote:Or donate some of it to charity...

Even if it was a race you wouldn't lose because of your forks!


yeah but always good to have better forks jus incase.
cannondale trail SL 4
IN SPACE NO ONE CAN HEAR YOU SCREAM.......

User avatar
YeehaaMcgee
Posts: 5955
Joined: Sun Feb 26, 2012 13:30 pm

Re: charity XC event.(fork upgrade)

Postby YeehaaMcgee » Mon Sep 02, 2013 14:35 pm

fredblob wrote:
YeehaaMcgee wrote:
fredblob wrote:im not mega competitive but i would like to win or least finish in the top 5.

er...

That's like when someone starts a sentence with "now, I'm no racist, but..."


ive started many a sentence like that the key is to be very careful with what you say after that :D

You mean, like...
"Now, I'm not a racist, but I do prefer the taste of white chocolate"? :lol:

User avatar
cooldad
Posts: 28171
Joined: Sat Apr 17, 2010 22:01 pm

Re: charity XC event.(fork upgrade)

Postby cooldad » Mon Sep 02, 2013 15:06 pm

Or brown sugar.
I don't do smileys.

There is no secret ingredient - Kung Fu Panda

London Calling on Facebook

Parktools

POAH
Posts: 2724
Joined: Wed Jul 10, 2013 21:18 pm

Re: charity XC event.(fork upgrade)

Postby POAH » Tue Sep 03, 2013 08:03 am

buy new forks if you want

User avatar
Russyh
Posts: 1311
Joined: Sat Mar 31, 2012 22:02 pm

Re: charity XC event.(fork upgrade)

Postby Russyh » Tue Sep 03, 2013 10:37 am

I agree, sounds to me like you are looking for an excuse to upgrade. Just do it. I am fairly sure it will make next to no difference in your overal speed, but it will make you feel better.

User avatar
fredblob
Posts: 208
Joined: Wed Aug 28, 2013 21:48 pm

Re: charity XC event.(fork upgrade)

Postby fredblob » Tue Sep 03, 2013 10:47 am

Russyh wrote:I agree, sounds to me like you are looking for an excuse to upgrade. Just do it. I am fairly sure it will make next to no difference in your overal speed, but it will make you feel better.


probably true thou im a bit skint atm
cannondale trail SL 4
IN SPACE NO ONE CAN HEAR YOU SCREAM.......

User avatar
Russyh
Posts: 1311
Joined: Sat Mar 31, 2012 22:02 pm

Re: charity XC event.(fork upgrade)

Postby Russyh » Tue Sep 03, 2013 12:16 pm

with the greatest respect, if you are skint then looking for a replacement fork should be the last thing you should be doing. Just enjoy your bike for what it is and when you find yourself a little flush, upgrade your fork then. Change for changes sake is fine if you have the wedge, change for neccesity is fine if you dont.


Return to “MTB Workshop & Tech”

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 1 guest