Does Shimano plan to produce new single speed brake levers?

What bike and bike bits should you buy?
billysan

Does Shimano plan to produce new single speed brake levers?

Postby billysan » Sun Sep 01, 2013 14:57 pm

Looking for anyone with inside knowledge here, who hopefully can confirm anything.

Shimano currently sell the BL-R600 brake lever, this having the correct cable pull ratio for the older generation brake callipers (BR-7800, BR-6600, BR-5600 etc). These brakes have all now been superseeded with the newer type with a modified cable pull ratio (BR-9000, BR-7900, BR-6800, BR6700, BR5700 etc). All STI levers from 105 up now only work with the new type brakes. They also updated the TT brake lever from BL-TT78 to BL-TT79 to be compatable with the new style callipers, however they dont appear to have an updated single speed drop bar lever to date.

However, the Di2 levers, including BL-6770 could easily be sold without the electrical internals to perform this purpose. They are almost there actually, the Alfine Di2 left hand lever is exactly this:

Does anyone know if Shimano are going to make a matching right hand version, and sell as a pair?

I appreciate this is a limited market, however I cant believe they dont have an alternative for the Sram S900 carbon SS lever. I currently have these, but would swap in an instant for the much nicer shaped shimano hood.

ride_whenever

Re: Does Shimano plan to produce new single speed brake leve

Postby ride_whenever » Sun Sep 01, 2013 16:52 pm

I can't find the parts on madison currently but you should be able to order all the parts of the shifter without the electronics as per this document

Return to “Road Buying Advice”