Fork question

Sorting out your thrunge brackets, fettling your inter-rositers and even stuff about bike parts.
User avatar
gazjl
Posts: 170
Joined: Fri Mar 13, 2009 06:48 am

Fork question

Postby gazjl » Tue Sep 10, 2013 18:22 pm

Hi all I have some fox 36 van r's non tallas,they are a few years old and have a bit of wear on the stanchions which I can live with! but my main problem is when I do a little drop of even just of a curb or do a little jump they bang out like mad :( I will try explain a little so they compress as I go to jump then as they go airborne they bang as they go back to full length if that makes sense
They do this no matter how much I change the pre-load or rebound the spring is soft for me and I have a firm one on order bit I can't see this causing the problem

There is no play in the forks that I can feel is there damping bushes or something like that which could be at fault ?

I have tried to google but I can't seem to find my answer
Thanks

User avatar
nicklouse
Lives Here
Posts: 80713
Joined: Thu Mar 20, 2003 12:14 pm

Re: Fork question

Postby nicklouse » Tue Sep 10, 2013 18:52 pm

when were they last serviced?
"Do not follow where the path may lead, Go instead where there is no path, and Leave a Trail."
Parktools :?:SheldonBrown

User avatar
gazjl
Posts: 170
Joined: Fri Mar 13, 2009 06:48 am

Re: Fork question

Postby gazjl » Tue Sep 10, 2013 19:05 pm

About 18 month ago and probably done 250 miles since then quite hard mileage though some of it

POAH
Posts: 2736
Joined: Wed Jul 10, 2013 21:18 pm

Re: Fork question

Postby POAH » Tue Sep 10, 2013 21:19 pm

if you adjust the rebound does it slow down - sounds like they are not getting enough rebound damping

User avatar
gazjl
Posts: 170
Joined: Fri Mar 13, 2009 06:48 am

Re: Fork question

Postby gazjl » Tue Sep 10, 2013 21:20 pm

It does a bit but the noise is quite cringe worthy its horrible lol the rebound does work though !!

User avatar
supersonic
Lives Here
Posts: 81829
Joined: Fri Nov 25, 2005 11:50 am

Re: Fork question

Postby supersonic » Tue Sep 10, 2013 22:08 pm

Top out. Check the top out bumpers or springs are intact.

User avatar
gazjl
Posts: 170
Joined: Fri Mar 13, 2009 06:48 am

Re: Fork question

Postby gazjl » Wed Sep 11, 2013 06:59 am

Might sound lame but how do I check that, mine are just early van r coil no air ?
Thanks
Last edited by gazjl on Wed Sep 11, 2013 10:10 am, edited 1 time in total.

User avatar
cooldad
Posts: 28186
Joined: Sat Apr 17, 2010 22:01 pm

Re: Fork question

Postby cooldad » Wed Sep 11, 2013 07:52 am

Air will have a valve to put air in.
I don't do smileys.

There is no secret ingredient - Kung Fu Panda

London Calling on Facebook

Parktools

User avatar
nicklouse
Lives Here
Posts: 80713
Joined: Thu Mar 20, 2003 12:14 pm

Re: Fork question

Postby nicklouse » Wed Sep 11, 2013 08:10 am

gazjl wrote:Might sound lame but how do I check that mine are just early van r coil no air ?
Thanks

open them up and have a look.

Or just send them off of a service and mention the problem.
"Do not follow where the path may lead, Go instead where there is no path, and Leave a Trail."

Parktools :?:SheldonBrown

User avatar
gazjl
Posts: 170
Joined: Fri Mar 13, 2009 06:48 am

Re: Fork question

Postby gazjl » Wed Sep 11, 2013 10:06 am

cooldad wrote:Air will have a valve to put air in.

I know mate hence why I said they were coil with no air ;)

User avatar
gazjl
Posts: 170
Joined: Fri Mar 13, 2009 06:48 am

Re: Fork question

Postby gazjl » Wed Sep 11, 2013 10:09 am

nicklouse wrote:
gazjl wrote:Might sound lame but how do I check that mine are just early van r coil no air ?
Thanks

open them up and have a look.

Or just send them off of a service and mention the problem.


My lbs won't service them because of the wear on the stanchion !!!

That's why I asked because they also said it was quite difficult to sort out and advised me not to tackle it my self as its something to do with a cartridge etc etc

User avatar
cooldad
Posts: 28186
Joined: Sat Apr 17, 2010 22:01 pm

Re: Fork question

Postby cooldad » Wed Sep 11, 2013 10:15 am

gazjl wrote:
cooldad wrote:Air will have a valve to put air in.

I know mate hence why I said they were coil with no air ;)

Yeah, makes sense now you've done a sneaky edit to add a comma.
I don't do smileys.

There is no secret ingredient - Kung Fu Panda

London Calling on Facebook

Parktools

User avatar
cooldad
Posts: 28186
Joined: Sat Apr 17, 2010 22:01 pm

Re: Fork question

Postby cooldad » Wed Sep 11, 2013 10:16 am

gazjl wrote:
nicklouse wrote:
gazjl wrote:Might sound lame but how do I check that mine are just early van r coil no air ?
Thanks

open them up and have a look.

Or just send them off of a service and mention the problem.


My lbs won't service them because of the wear on the stanchion !!!

That's why I asked because they also said it was quite difficult to sort out and advised me not to tackle it my self as its something to do with a cartridge etc etc

Try Loco Tuning, Mojo or TF Tuned.
I don't do smileys.

There is no secret ingredient - Kung Fu Panda

London Calling on Facebook

Parktools

Mac-cos
Posts: 75
Joined: Sat Nov 26, 2011 11:25 am

Re: Fork question

Postby Mac-cos » Wed Sep 11, 2013 10:38 am

Have you looked onthe fox webhelp site, you may find some useful info there for the forks.
http://service.foxracingshox.com/consumers/index.htm

User avatar
gazjl
Posts: 170
Joined: Fri Mar 13, 2009 06:48 am

Re: Fork question

Postby gazjl » Wed Sep 11, 2013 12:15 pm

cooldad wrote:
gazjl wrote:
nicklouse wrote:
gazjl wrote:Might sound lame but how do I check that mine are just early van r coil no air ?
Thanks

open them up and have a look.

Or just send them off of a service and mention the problem.


My lbs won't service them because of the wear on the stanchion !!!

That's why I asked because they also said it was quite difficult to sort out and advised me not to tackle it my self as its something to do with a cartridge etc etc

Try Loco Tuning, Mojo or TF Tuned.

Will do mate thanks and yes I did edit it I sounded silly hence leading to your response my bad I apologise lol

User avatar
Schmako
Posts: 2557
Joined: Wed May 18, 2005 14:39 pm

Re: Fork question

Postby Schmako » Wed Sep 11, 2013 17:42 pm

Not sure if this will help at all but, i recently got my 36 van's serviced/repaired they were rebounding too quickly and clunking a lot, not sure what part the guy that serviced them replaced, but they are like new now, it was Flotech in linlithgow, £12 for the part, £80 for the service, could try them!

User avatar
gazjl
Posts: 170
Joined: Fri Mar 13, 2009 06:48 am

Re: Fork question

Postby gazjl » Wed Sep 11, 2013 18:02 pm

Really helpful thanks mate


Return to “MTB Workshop & Tech”

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: Wilberforce and 3 guests