What to do for winter?

General bike chat that does not fit elsewhere
retrobike007

What to do for winter?

Postby retrobike007 » Fri Sep 20, 2013 11:59 am

I have a decision to make, what do you think should do, currently on a limited budget due to holiday coming up, getting close to xmas when we get back etc

-Keep using my Trek 5.5, set it up as a winter bike, mudguards, lights, cheap wheels (already got), and tough tyres, and buy a new bike in the spring
-Set my MTB up on slicks and road gears and do my best to keep up/commute
-buy a cheap/second hand hack that can be set up for the winter and moth balled during the summer,

rhext

Re: What to do for winter?

Postby rhext » Fri Sep 20, 2013 12:26 pm

Winter's hard on bikes (road salt eats metal, especially steel). So if when you say 'buy a new bike in the spring', you're intending that to be your new best bike then there seems to be little reason not to carry on using your Trek. As long as it's a hardtail, the MTB/slick thing works too...but again the winter will take its toll on the bike, so if it's a nice one and you want to keep it nice you need to bear that in mind. Particular issue with MTB is that salt will get into the suspension and there's no way of stopping it. And once it's in there it starts to corrode whatever it touches.

Bottom line is that if you've got nice bikes, you want them to stay nice, and you can't wash and dry them every couple of days then the hack is a good option. If you're about to consign one bike to 'second best' status anyway then perhaps it doesn't matter if some bits of it get a bit corroded and you should save your money towards a better bike in spring.

Pituophis

Postby Pituophis » Fri Sep 20, 2013 12:40 pm

As this is my first winter as a "slightly more serious" cyclist, I've just put my pre upgrade wheels back on, and will be fitting mudguards shortly, as the cheapest option.

If you're anything like me, you will have loads of "upgraded" nearly new bits lying around anyway!
If we then casually buy a few bit here and there over winter, we'll only need splash out for a nice new "summer" frame and then, as if by magic, 2 bikes :lol: .
That's my plan.

retrobike007

Postby retrobike007 » Fri Sep 20, 2013 12:41 pm

rhext wrote:Winter's hard on bikes (road salt eats metal, especially steel). So if when you say 'buy a new bike in the spring', you're intending that to be your new best bike then there seems to be little reason not to carry on using your Trek. As long as it's a hardtail, the MTB/slick thing works too...but again the winter will take its toll on the bike, so if it's a nice one and you want to keep it nice you need to bear that in mind. Particular issue with MTB is that salt will get into the suspension and there's no way of stopping it. And once it's in there it starts to corrode whatever it touches.

Bottom line is that if you've got nice bikes, you want them to stay nice, and you can't wash and dry them every couple of days then the hack is a good option. If you're about to consign one bike to 'second best' status anyway then perhaps it doesn't matter if some bits of it get a bit corroded and you should save your money towards a better bike in spring.

MTB is a hardtail and yes the new bike will the new "Best bike" :D

w00dster

Postby w00dster » Fri Sep 20, 2013 13:32 pm

Hey Retrobike,
Very similar dilemma to yourself. My plan is to keep my Domane to the spring, ride it on weekends for my long rides but to commute and for shorter rides on my MTB. In the spring I'll upgrade my Domane to something else. My plan is to save as much as possible between now and March/April.
I've had the MTB for a good few years and am pretty good for cleaning my bikes, so far I've had no corrosion issues to worry about. That said, the MTB I see as being disposable, sub £500 bike. It's done everything I wanted it to do, if I get through another winter with it it's a bonus. Have been out on the MTB this week, it's not great to do the commute on, but I guess it's good training.

goonz

Postby goonz » Fri Sep 20, 2013 14:41 pm

Buy a cheap singlespeed and train those legs during winter.
Scott Speedster S20 Roadie for Speed
Specialized Hardrock MTB for Lumps
Specialized Langster SS for Ease
Cinelli Mash Bolt Fixed for Pain
n+1 is well and truly on track
Strava http://app.strava.com/athletes/1608875

trek_dan

Postby trek_dan » Fri Sep 20, 2013 14:55 pm

I built a cheap single speed with old bits for last winter as only had 1 road bike, kept the knobblies on the mountain bike for when I had to commute in snow or ice.

retrobike007

Postby retrobike007 » Sun Sep 22, 2013 19:13 pm

goonz wrote:Buy a cheap singlespeed and train those legs during winter.

I have a fixie that I never ride, so that could be swapped to a single I suppose.

Simon Masterson

Postby Simon Masterson » Sun Sep 22, 2013 20:13 pm

This is the subject of a lot of silly scaremongering. In truth if you want your bike to look like a living room ornament that never gets ridden, you're best to treat it that way, but otherwise you'll be fine. Unless your bike is a real summer machine with posh carbon wheels and featherweight tubs, and a groupset with very expensive consumables (though ironically they will probably be more durable), it will be fine with a set of mudguards, and some tough tyres that grip well in the wet (not that this is limited to any one season in Britain). Just remember to keep it clean and lubricated.

Return to “Road General”