Protein Recovery Drinks

When drugs don't work: training and health tips!
Tjgoodhew

Protein Recovery Drinks

Postby Tjgoodhew » Fri Sep 20, 2013 14:53 pm

I have recently started using powdered recovery drinks after long rides and am having positive and negative effects.

I am using the high 5 recovery summer fruits drink. I cant stand chocolate, banana or vanilla flavored drinks and this was the only one i could find at a reasonable price.

Positives - my legs generally feel better the morning after and i dont ache as much. I also dont like eating straight after a ride but these are much easier to get down me than a recovery meal. I will then usually eat a proper meal maybe 2/3 hours after. I have found this pattern works a lot better and dont feel so drained 5/6 hours later

Negatives - i seem to get a really upset stomach after drinking it. I dont need to go into detail but im not talking just slight stomach cramps. I am currently mixing with milk. Iv never been a huge milk drinker, a very slight drop in my tea is about all i ever have, so im wondering if its the milk my body doesnt like and should i start making the shakes with water. However by doing this arent i then losing one of the main nutritional factors of having a shake in the first place.

Has anyone had a similar experience and what was the solution ? At the moment im thinking of just persisting and hoping my body gets used to it but is this likely to happen ? And could it be the powder itself ? Is there something in that that could be causing the issue
Cannondale Caad8
Canyon Aeroad 8.0

http://www.strava.com/athletes/goodhewt

apreading

Re: Protein Recovery Drinks

Postby apreading » Fri Sep 20, 2013 14:58 pm

The High 5 ones are designed to work with water or milk (except one flavour I think). You could always try with water or try just the milk without the High5 additive - to see which is causing the issue. Either will have protein - I guess together you get more though. I think (but dont know this as a fact) it is likley that the whey protein in the High 5 is a higher concentration than milk so if you had to choose, High5 with water would still give you what you need, whereas milk on its own you might need to up the quantity.

The other thing to consider is what you are doing beforehand on the ride and whether that is something you have proven to work. i.e. is the recovery drink the only new factor? Upset stomach could just as easily be caused by dosing with too much carbs that arent getting burned or shoving down extra gels at the end to get you to the finish.

apreading

Postby apreading » Fri Sep 20, 2013 15:01 pm

Oh - and I dont like chocolate drinks, but prefer the Chocolate High5 to the summer fruit one - which is unusual because summer fruits is always my 'go to' flavour for stuff. Only tried the two of them and For Goodness Shakes super-berry, the choco High5 beat the other two on taste and ease on the palette.

Tjgoodhew

Postby Tjgoodhew » Fri Sep 20, 2013 15:14 pm

Iv used gels and electrolyte drinks for a while now and havent had an issue,

I usually have a Nunn tablet before i set off and then a bottle with powdered gatorade, maybe a couple of high 5 gels and some jelly babies.

Im pretty sure its somthing to do with the shakes - just trying to work out what exactly. I know trial and error is prob the best way forward and i will try next time with water and see what happens
Cannondale Caad8
Canyon Aeroad 8.0

http://www.strava.com/athletes/goodhewt

joycey83

Postby joycey83 » Fri Sep 20, 2013 16:00 pm

Sounds like you may be lactose intolerant - the major sugar found in milk. You can probably tolerate a small amount so having in your tea etc. is fine but nailing 500ml in one go is overload. Unfortunately, your body will not get used to lactose as you don't produce the enzyme to break it down. You can get tested by the doctor or just drink 500ml milk and see if has the same effect!

Ric/RSTSport

Postby Ric/RSTSport » Fri Sep 20, 2013 16:06 pm

yes, it sounds like lactose intolerance. you can buy lactose free milk. aren't quite a large number of people mildly intolerant to milk?
Coach to Michael Freiberg - Track World Champion (Omnium) 2011
Coach to Jeff Jones - 2011 BBAR winner and 12-hour record
Check out our new website www.rstsport.com

joycey83

Postby joycey83 » Fri Sep 20, 2013 16:39 pm

About 1/3 of the worlds population I think but mainly those of Asian or Indian descent.

Mad_Malx

Postby Mad_Malx » Fri Sep 20, 2013 16:53 pm

joycey83 wrote:About 1/3 of the worlds population I think but mainly those of Asian or Indian descent.

Lot higher I think - also most indigenous (north and south) americans (although they arrived via asia) and those of african descent. Wiki (not my source for the other bits) says Sicilians too.
Anyone not descended from (early bronze age) dairy farmers really.

peteco

Postby peteco » Fri Sep 20, 2013 21:01 pm

I think SIS Rego recovery drink is made with soy protein - this may suit you better.

Pete

FatTed

Postby FatTed » Sat Sep 21, 2013 01:10 am

Are protein shakes a good idea after a training session?

Mad_Malx

Postby Mad_Malx » Sat Sep 21, 2013 09:37 am

FatTed wrote:Are protein shakes a good idea after a training session?

This study looks at recovery and repeated exercise:
http://www.jissn.com/content/9/1/5

Not looked at it in detail, and not but it says short term (2 hour) recovery and repeat performance better, mainly through helping maintain glycogen levels. Probably most relevant to guys doing several rides over a day. It refers to other studies that look at muscle soreness also.

Mad_Malx

Postby Mad_Malx » Sat Sep 21, 2013 09:49 am

^The most common finding is that it is the extra calories rather than something magic about protein though, and studies with calorie-matched drinks (+ or - protein) show little benefit in short-term recovery.

FatTed

Postby FatTed » Sat Sep 21, 2013 22:53 pm

I think after a hard workout a protein shake may help recovery next day. The Firefly definitely does!
http://www.fireflyrecovery.com/the-fire ... he-firefly (especially if you get them for free)

Mad_Malx

Postby Mad_Malx » Sun Sep 22, 2013 07:23 am

FatTed wrote:I think after a hard workout a protein shake may help recovery next day. The Firefly definitely does!
http://www.fireflyrecovery.com/the-fire ... he-firefly (especially if you get them for free)

The only thing this device has in common with protein drinks is that belief is an important part of its effectiveness. The 'evidence' cited for its efficacy as a sports aid is thin, to put it mildly. For example; from one of the references: 'Substantial benefits were observed in self-assessed energy levels (effect size [ES] 0.86), and enthusiasm (ES 0.80) '

FatTed

Postby FatTed » Sun Sep 22, 2013 08:54 am

Give it a try, wont harm you might help you.

apreading

Postby apreading » Sun Sep 22, 2013 09:42 am

At £25 a go it might hurt your wallet though...!

phreak

Postby phreak » Sun Sep 22, 2013 11:23 am

Doesn't this depend mainly on how often you train? I suspect that if you have 24/48 hours in between sessions then you have plenty of time for a regular diet to replenish your muscles. I believe the importance of getting the right food in that window just after training is only really there if you train very frequently.

ut_och_cykla

Postby ut_och_cykla » Tue Sep 24, 2013 07:57 am

Could be lactose intolerance - easy to check - make your drink without milk a few times or use lactose free milk! Could also be intolerance/allergy to soy protein (which is found in some protein drinks - sometimes just as a trace from previous production runs). Something my daughter has suffered from. She tolerates milk well but is oversensitive to soy. She now uses a pure, filtered casien based protein drink which suits her particular needs well. And some people just dont deal with a large dump of protein into the guts - sip it over a 15 min period?

mpatts

Postby mpatts » Tue Sep 24, 2013 08:16 am

I have a glass of chocolate milk - seems to have the same affect (possibly placebo) as protein shakes, for me anyway (I've tried both).
Insert bike here:

gary.hounsome

Postby gary.hounsome » Tue Sep 24, 2013 21:31 pm

Chocolate, nesquick! Also used branded recovery shakes, and if I'm honest found both to work as good as each other (having tried both over a week after two weeks not using anything)

Return to “Training, Fitness and Health”