Why do you use a winter bike?

General bike chat that does not fit elsewhere
Bozman

Why do you use a winter bike?

Postby Bozman » Sat Sep 21, 2013 20:01 pm

So that you don't go down the road and shaft your pride and glory.
Plenty of folk out on winter bikes today, but even after stripping mine and swapping the chain and cassette I went out on it due to this Indian summer, 50 damp miles later I was down the road with a snapped rear hanger, shafted derailleur and R/H shifter, ripped bibs and I was left battered and bruised.
It's purely a moan and a meaningless post but the roads were greasy and I should've used my noggin, the wife picks me up and says "it's material at least you're ok", we all go there but it p1sses you off that you've shafted your bike.

Bozman

Re: Why do you use a winter bike?

Postby Bozman » Sun Sep 22, 2013 07:08 am

madasahattersley wrote:Better not to crash anyway, even on a winter bike! How did this happen?

Turning right on to road, I scrubbed plenty of speed off(20mph ish) and took a wide line because I know how tight the junction is, the front end went and I slid across the road and ended up on the grass verge.
That's my third slide and they've all been on the right(expensive) side.

smidsy

Postby smidsy » Sun Sep 22, 2013 07:15 am

You are riding to quick/leaning too much for the given conditions - simple as.
Yellow is the new Black.

Bozman

Postby Bozman » Sun Sep 22, 2013 08:00 am

smidsy wrote:You are riding to quick/leaning too much for the given conditions - simple as.

It's a fine line.

You might know the very turn, from Alkmonton down Long Lane and I turned in to Longford village, I've ridden down that road hundreds of times on my way home and in far worse conditions, sh1t happens but it just pees me off that it had to happen on that day, plus the derailleur and shifter were as good as new(500miles).

robbo2011

Postby robbo2011 » Sun Sep 22, 2013 11:03 am

So which bike did you crash, the winter or the summer? it isn't clear (to me) from your post.

Also, what tyres are you using? sounds as if they are not great in the wet if this is your third off..

Bozman

Postby Bozman » Sun Sep 22, 2013 11:52 am

robbo2011 wrote:So which bike did you crash, the winter or the summer? it isn't clear (to me) from your post.

Also, what tyres are you using? sounds as if they are not great in the wet if this is your third off..

Summer bike, I took it out for one last blast even though I'd serviced it and moth balled it.

Tyres, 1st off, conti 4000s....a few years ago. 2nd, Vittoria open corsa which were brand new and not scrubbed in(my fault, lesson learnt). 3rd, Vittoria open corsa.
I've ridden Vittoria on and off all year round in worse conditions without an issue. I think that it was purely down to a greasy road surface at a junction.

robbo2011

Postby robbo2011 » Sun Sep 22, 2013 12:03 pm

Hmm, all good tyres. Like you say likely just greasy road surfaces, very hard to predict.

Bad news about the summer bike. At least you are OK though.

Return to “Road General”