'Tis nice to be nice

Come and join in the banter: discuss here anything you want, whether bike related or not!
corriebee1

'Tis nice to be nice

Postby corriebee1 » Tue Sep 24, 2013 08:31 am

So on my way in today (through the thickest fog i've ever cycled in) I came across a pannier bag lying on the pavement. I cycled past t and then thought "I've lost stuff before, and never got it back. It sucks" and turned around to go pick it up. Just as well, as it had a bunch of stuff in, including the owners mobile phone

Having had a look through the recently dialled numbers for a "home" or "office" I couldn't find one. Most of the recent numbers were to "Andy Bikeshop". As it was too early for a bike shop to be open, i decided to cycle in with the bag sitting on my bars so that anyone retracing their steps would spot it.

A mile or so in, just as I'm coming off the guided bus-route, a bloke on a foldie shouts across the road "That's my bag!". Turns out the guy owns a bike shop in Cambridge (Claud Butler on Mill Road) and is a fellow Scot. He sure was grateful.

Now. Seeing as I'm skint and he's got a bike shop, Is it cheeky to take my bike in this week for the service that it badly needs, and suggest he do me a very nice deal?!?! :oops:

gabriel959

Re: 'Tis nice to be nice

Postby gabriel959 » Tue Sep 24, 2013 08:46 am

I say you are well within your rights as long as you don't do any RLJ ;)
x-x-x-x-x-x-x-x
Giant SCR 2 - FCN 2
All-City Macho Man Disc - FCN 2
Cannondale SuperSix Ultegra - FCN 2

Veronese68
Lives Here

Postby Veronese68 » Tue Sep 24, 2013 08:53 am

Well done, nice to read that after the usual tales of lunatic drivers and nodders.
Worth a go with the service.

meanredspider

Postby meanredspider » Tue Sep 24, 2013 08:57 am

Good on you.
ROAD < Scott Foil HMX Di2, Volagi Liscio Di2, Jamis Renegade Elite Di2, Cube Reaction Race > ROUGH

wandsworth

Postby wandsworth » Tue Sep 24, 2013 09:13 am

You did the right thing. Well done.

Personally, I would not expect anything in return. I'd be embarrassed to show up and ask for a free service. Up to him if he wants to offer it.
Shut up, knees!

Various Boardmans, a Focus, a Cannondale and an ancient Trek.

rjsterry

Postby rjsterry » Tue Sep 24, 2013 09:21 am

wandsworth wrote:You did the right thing. Well done.

Personally, I would not expect anything in return. I'd be embarrassed to show up and ask for a free service. Up to him if he wants to offer it.

This. I'm sure he'll offer anyway if he's a decent guy, and if he doesn't well, never mind.
1997 Giant Peloton 7200 - FCN 4 (5 if it looks like rain)
1985 Mercian King of Mercia - work in progress (Hah! Who am I kidding?)
1980s BSA 10sp

"Be there, eat sausages, gain ultimate respect"

menthel

Postby menthel » Tue Sep 24, 2013 09:26 am

I would just bask in the glow of the good samaritan act if I were you! ;)
Raynes Park ---> Victoria currently avoiding good old CS7 (I love Tooting!)
Back at it on a purple Condor Fratello Disc. RIP Italia and Scourer! Au revoir 00!

Colinthecop

Postby Colinthecop » Tue Sep 24, 2013 09:31 am

I think the karma related idea of a freebie is a good one. I assume this is an afterthought and he didn't suggest it...?

But there is one obvious flaw in your plan to blag something -

corriebee1 wrote: and is a fellow Scot.

:lol:

shortcuts

Postby shortcuts » Tue Sep 24, 2013 09:35 am

Colinthecop wrote:I think the karma related idea of a freebie is a good one. I assume this is an afterthought and he didn't suggest it...?

But there is one obvious flaw in your plan to blag something -

corriebee1 wrote: and is a fellow Scot.

:lol:

:lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:

junglist_matty

Postby junglist_matty » Tue Sep 24, 2013 09:44 am

Good on you mate! ....If you happen to find half a SMART rear light (the half with the LED's and batteries) on your travels, mine fell off my bike yesterday; got home to find the back casing still mounted to the bike and the lights bit gone!!

davis

Postby davis » Tue Sep 24, 2013 10:31 am

You did the right thing, but I'm not sure doing the simple decent thing deserves a reward.

Besides, why the hell aren't you servicing it yourself? It's only making sure the bits that move can do so easily, and the bits that shouldn't move don't!
Sometimes parts break. Sometimes you crash. Sometimes it’s your fault.

corriebee1

Postby corriebee1 » Tue Sep 24, 2013 10:41 am

davis wrote:You did the right thing, but I'm not sure doing the simple decent thing deserves a reward.

Besides, why the hell aren't you servicing it yourself? It's only making sure the bits that move can do so easily, and the bits that shouldn't move don't!

You're right. And i didn't pick the bag up expecting anything. Meeting a bike shop owner is/was a bonus.

If i'm honest about servicing, it terrifies me. Aside from changing a tyre and cleaning the chain the bike maintenance thing is a complete mystery to me. I would like to go on a decent course at some point or spend some quality time with youtube but i think that having quite a nice bike and no clue means i'm scared i'll fool it up and destroy the bike if i have a go!

wandsworth

Postby wandsworth » Tue Sep 24, 2013 10:51 am

Give it a go and if you mess it up take it to the LBS to fix. That's what I did when I got into a world of pain trying to adjust a front mech.
Shut up, knees!

Various Boardmans, a Focus, a Cannondale and an ancient Trek.

Slowbike

Postby Slowbike » Tue Sep 24, 2013 10:54 am

junglist_matty wrote:Good on you mate! ....If you happen to find half a SMART rear light (the half with the LED's and batteries) on your travels, mine fell off my bike yesterday; got home to find the back casing still mounted to the bike and the lights bit gone!!

The light wanted to be legal and stopped at the red light ... ;)

Slowbike

Postby Slowbike » Tue Sep 24, 2013 10:58 am

If you take it in - just ask for a service - don't expect to receive any freebies or discounts.

davis

Postby davis » Tue Sep 24, 2013 11:15 am

corriebee1 wrote:
davis wrote:You did the right thing, but I'm not sure doing the simple decent thing deserves a reward.

You're right. And i didn't pick the bag up expecting anything. Meeting a bike shop owner is/was a bonus.

If i'm honest about servicing, it terrifies me. Aside from changing a tyre and cleaning the chain the bike maintenance thing is a complete mystery to me. I would like to go on a decent course at some point or spend some quality time with youtube but i think that having quite a nice bike and no clue means i'm scared i'll fool it up and destroy the bike if i have a go!

Seriously, it's springs, levers, cables, screws and gears. There are knacks to things (like wrapping elastic bands round the brake blocks when you're toeing them in!) but if you look at an individual bit, such as the rear shifter, it's simply a cable which pulls in opposition to a spring to move a cage to a different place. It's not magicks!
Sometimes parts break. Sometimes you crash. Sometimes it’s your fault.

shortcuts

Postby shortcuts » Tue Sep 24, 2013 11:58 am

davis wrote:
corriebee1 wrote:

Seriously, it's springs, levers, cables, screws and gears. There are knacks to things (like wrapping elastic bands round the brake blocks when you're toeing them in!) but if you look at an individual bit, such as the rear shifter, it's simply a cable which pulls in opposition to a spring to move a cage to a different place. It's not magicks!

It is :shock:

iPete

Postby iPete » Tue Sep 24, 2013 12:33 pm

I seem to have a calling in life for returning iPhones! Never asked for anything in return.

On the flip side, after I came off my bike and left the scene another cyclist found my iPhone in the road and I got it back. Although probably not worth stealing after a few cars had gone over it :lol:

merkin

Postby merkin » Tue Sep 24, 2013 18:14 pm

On another forum there is a thread from a bloke who owns a bike shop saying about how he caught someone trying to steal his pannier.

kamiokande

Postby kamiokande » Tue Sep 24, 2013 21:21 pm

merkin wrote:On another forum there is a thread from a bloke who owns a bike shop saying about how he caught someone trying to steal his pannier.

And a few days later the would-be thief came into his bike shop and demanded a free service. The cheek on some people!

Return to “Commuting Chat”