Obstacles on the Ridgeway

Discuss Off road routes, route conditions and the facilities here.
User avatar
Giraffoto
Posts: 1771
Joined: Thu Aug 25, 2011 07:05 am

Obstacles on the Ridgeway

Postby Giraffoto » Mon Sep 30, 2013 11:35 am

I like to cycle the bits of the Ridgeway either side of Wendover (Tring to Wendover, or around Combe Hill). The last couple of times I've been there I've found several sizeable branches laid right across the track. It's all bridleway, by the way, where the branches are laid. They're not enough of an obstacle to stop a bike, but I do need to slow down to get over them. I'm pretty sure they're put there deliberately. So do you think they might be . . .
Put there by someone who doesn't like bikes, to trip us up?
Put there by other MTBers, to make the trail more interesting?
Nothing to do with bikes, and just someone being a PITA?
Any other ideas?
Specialized Roubaix Elite 2015
On-One Scandal (fully rigid)

RockmonkeySC
Posts: 12916
Joined: Thu Mar 25, 2010 17:40 pm

Re: Obstacles on the Ridgeway

Postby RockmonkeySC » Mon Sep 30, 2013 11:48 am

Are they under trees?

User avatar
JBA
Posts: 729
Joined: Thu Dec 08, 2011 20:02 pm

Re: Obstacles on the Ridgeway

Postby JBA » Mon Sep 30, 2013 16:10 pm

Giraffoto wrote:It's all bridleway, by the way, where the branches are laid.


There's your answer ^^^.

Horse riders creating little jumps.
Specialized Stumpjumper FSR Comp 2011
Charge Filter Mid 2011

User avatar
craker
Posts: 1615
Joined: Wed Nov 07, 2007 21:34 pm

Re: Obstacles on the Ridgeway

Postby craker » Mon Sep 30, 2013 16:32 pm

If it cuts down on the number of twerps in oversized tonka toys (that's 4 x 4s if you didn't get the rant) using them then I'm all for it. Probably is horsey types though.

BigAl
Posts: 3059
Joined: Wed Jun 20, 2007 19:05 pm

Re: Obstacles on the Ridgeway

Postby BigAl » Wed Oct 02, 2013 23:04 pm

I've also seen this on the Ridgeway, though further south (Stokencurch, Watlington). The ones I've seen are bigger than sizeable branches - these are hefty tree trunks, not easily moved.

Always thought it was horsey types. But now I think they're there to obstruct motor & quad bikes which can be a problem on the Ridgeway.

Who has responsibility for the Ridgeway? Is it the relevant county council or some other body?

19ninety
Posts: 2
Joined: Sat Aug 17, 2013 21:47 pm

Re: Obstacles on the Ridgeway

Postby 19ninety » Thu Oct 03, 2013 19:33 pm

I've been getting back into riding this last few weeks. From Didcot upto the Ridgeway by Upton, I havent seen any as yet though where I'm riding is also used by farmers for access.
http://www.nationaltrail.co.uk/ridgeway/faq.asp?PageId=42
Looking forward to riding a bit further on it once I get my stamina back up.

paulneenan76
Posts: 737
Joined: Tue Sep 18, 2012 11:46 am

Re: Obstacles on the Ridgeway

Postby paulneenan76 » Mon Oct 21, 2013 15:00 pm

I've ridden around chinnor, P risborough, Wendover for years and never had an issue. I live near the start at Ivinghoe now and not seen anything there either -mind you, it's a bit more open than most of it.

Out of interest, has anyone attempted to ride the whole ridgeway 88miles or whatever it is? I know there is an Enduro event on it each year but wondered if people have tried it outside of a managed event?

Paul
Family, Friends, Fantastic trails - what else is there

viewtopic.php?f=10017&t=12898838
viewtopic.php?f=10017&t=12897374

User avatar
Pesky Jones
Posts: 2937
Joined: Wed Aug 22, 2012 09:43 am

Re: Obstacles on the Ridgeway

Postby Pesky Jones » Mon Oct 21, 2013 15:05 pm

paulneenan76 wrote:I've ridden around chinnor, P risborough, Wendover for years and never had an issue. I live near the start at Ivinghoe now and not seen anything there either -mind you, it's a bit more open than most of it.

Out of interest, has anyone attempted to ride the whole ridgeway 88miles or whatever it is? I know there is an Enduro event on it each year but wondered if people have tried it outside of a managed event?

Paul


I did it about three weeks ago. It was good. Tailwind the whole way and no rain :D

singletracksurfer
Posts: 41
Joined: Wed Apr 01, 2009 17:13 pm

Re: Obstacles on the Ridgeway

Postby singletracksurfer » Tue Nov 05, 2013 16:40 pm

walkers/local residents are sometimes responsible for the smaller stuff and I've known farmers to drag tree trunks to block paths - sometimes to stop motor vehicles, sometimes to annoy cyclists. The Ridgeway has its own department to look after it (I believe) - should be a contact on the National Trail website.

BigAl
Posts: 3059
Joined: Wed Jun 20, 2007 19:05 pm

Re: Obstacles on the Ridgeway

Postby BigAl » Sun Nov 10, 2013 00:53 am

Planning to do the full Ridgeway next year with my boys, hopefully with an overnight camp

Lowride
Posts: 178
Joined: Thu Jun 24, 2004 21:56 pm

Re: Obstacles on the Ridgeway

Postby Lowride » Thu Nov 21, 2013 23:31 pm

I'd put money on it being walkers, you know the type, retired with nothing better to do. Can't imagine horse riders going to the effort of getting of the horse to lay some branches down.

In one of my local woods there was a big problem with motor crossers and quads a few years back until the police started turning up on crossers too. The local yocals went through a stage of putting little branches down across the tracks, I could get over most of them on a MTB so I imagine a 125cc crosser would have no problem at all.

These pensioner types are stronger then they look, one of my mates caught one putting some logs across a trail and gave him a telling off lol.

Oxygen thieves!

paulneenan76
Posts: 737
Joined: Tue Sep 18, 2012 11:46 am

Re: Obstacles on the Ridgeway

Postby paulneenan76 » Tue May 20, 2014 22:07 pm

BigAl wrote:Planning to do the full Ridgeway next year with my boys, hopefully with an overnight camp


Finally, it looks like a group of us are going for it from Avebury to the Beacon in September - have you planned yours yet?
Family, Friends, Fantastic trails - what else is there

viewtopic.php?f=10017&t=12898838
viewtopic.php?f=10017&t=12897374

paulneenan76
Posts: 737
Joined: Tue Sep 18, 2012 11:46 am

Re: Obstacles on the Ridgeway

Postby paulneenan76 » Tue May 20, 2014 22:10 pm

Pesky Jones wrote:
paulneenan76 wrote:I've ridden around chinnor, P risborough, Wendover for years and never had an issue. I live near the start at Ivinghoe now and not seen anything there either -mind you, it's a bit more open than most of it.

Out of interest, has anyone attempted to ride the whole ridgeway 88miles or whatever it is? I know there is an Enduro event on it each year but wondered if people have tried it outside of a managed event?

Paul


I did it about three weeks ago. It was good. Tailwind the whole way and no rain :D


Looks like we are on to do this, at long last, in September - did you do this one way or there and back again? Did you b&b, camp or do it all in one day?

Old thread but could do with a few pointers.

Paul
Family, Friends, Fantastic trails - what else is there

viewtopic.php?f=10017&t=12898838
viewtopic.php?f=10017&t=12897374

BigAl
Posts: 3059
Joined: Wed Jun 20, 2007 19:05 pm

Re: Obstacles on the Ridgeway

Postby BigAl » Tue May 20, 2014 22:13 pm

paulneenan76 wrote:
BigAl wrote:Planning to do the full Ridgeway next year with my boys, hopefully with an overnight camp


Finally, it looks like a group of us are going for it from Avebury to the Beacon in September - have you planned yours yet?


No I haven't. Too many other things getting in the way, general lack of time etc. You doing it in a day (too much for my lads) or stopping halfway?

paulneenan76
Posts: 737
Joined: Tue Sep 18, 2012 11:46 am

Re: Obstacles on the Ridgeway

Postby paulneenan76 » Wed May 21, 2014 12:23 pm

Stopping half-way or as far as we can get toward the Beacon - Bike friendly B&B is preferable. We'll have two experienced road riders that are inexperienced off-road over distance so one day is unrealistic I'd say.
Family, Friends, Fantastic trails - what else is there

viewtopic.php?f=10017&t=12898838
viewtopic.php?f=10017&t=12897374


Return to “Routes”

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 0 guests