de Gendt & General Musings

Talk about competitive road cycling in all its forms
Bo Duke

de Gendt & General Musings

Postby Bo Duke » Wed Oct 02, 2013 02:52 am

It's sad to see that Thomas de Gendt who came 3rd in last years Giro will likely not find a ride for next season. He missed the 2012 Tour getting married and had limited success since (no pun intended!). I think it's more a sad reflection of how cycling has been affected by the global economy with the loss of Euskaltel, Vacansoleil, Sojasun and now questions being asked about Saxo Bank.

Tough times and I hope the riders are able to both pick up remaining places and/or adapt to civvy street without too great a shock.

It's worth observing that events seem to follow little logic in life and I wouldn't be surprised that someone has noticed that a lot of talent, management and backroom staff and equipment are currently available 'on the cheap' and we might still see a new team rise from the ashes along the lines of a speculative Sr Alonso style entry. Fingers crossed.
'Performance analysis and Froome not being clean was a media driven story. I haven’t heard one guy in the peloton say a negative thing about Froome, and I haven’t heard a single person in the peloton suggest Froome isn’t clean.' TSP

Richmond Racer

Re: de Gendt & General Musings

Postby Richmond Racer » Wed Oct 02, 2013 08:15 am

Problem is that new ProTour teams need to get all their paperwork into the UCI by 1 Oct...so it looks like there'll be just 17 ProTour teams next season

IAM are now planning on stepping up in 2015 I think?

With Drapac moving up to ProConti, they've just announced some signings including Jonathan Cantwell.

Yellow Peril

Postby Yellow Peril » Wed Oct 02, 2013 12:11 pm

Very sad indeed but as we know cycling hasn't helped itself over the last 20 years in relation to drug scandals etc. Now a new gerneration of cyclists will suffer due to a lack of teams

rubertoe

Postby rubertoe » Wed Oct 02, 2013 12:17 pm

T de Gendt is pricing himself out of the market. He wants World Tour Wages with out world tour results and has nothing to offer interms of Points and is living off an attacking style, a win on the stelvio and thrird in the Giro a few years ago.

Its is a sad situation though...
"If you always do what you've always done, you'll always get what you've always got."

PX Kaffenback 2 = Work Horse
B-Twin Alur 700 = Sundays and Hills

RichN95

Postby RichN95 » Wed Oct 02, 2013 12:42 pm

rubertoe wrote:T de Gendt is pricing himself out of the market. He wants World Tour Wages with out world tour results and has nothing to offer interms of Points and is living off an attacking style, a win on the stelvio and thrird in the Giro a few years ago.

His performance in the Giro was only last year. Those points are still live.
Twitter: @RichN95

SpecialGuestStar

Postby SpecialGuestStar » Wed Oct 02, 2013 13:48 pm

would seem mutually beneficial
http://fr.teameuropcar.com/cyclisme/le- ... tory.shtml

They need at least one more rider. I think he would go well with Rolland

r0bh

Postby r0bh » Wed Oct 02, 2013 16:18 pm

RichN95 wrote:
rubertoe wrote:T de Gendt is pricing himself out of the market. He wants World Tour Wages with out world tour results and has nothing to offer interms of Points and is living off an attacking style, a win on the stelvio and thrird in the Giro a few years ago.

His performance in the Giro was only last year. Those points are still live.

He's right y'know, points are counted from last two years:

http://www.uci.ch/Modules/BUILTIN/getObject.asp?MenuId=&ObjTypeCode=FILE&type=FILE&id=ODYwOTU&LangId=1

The fact remains though that De Gendt has had a bit of a stinker this year.

stanislav

Postby stanislav » Wed Oct 02, 2013 17:15 pm

De Gendt is an in and out performer,He clearly has ability but has more bad days than good so I can see why teams aren't queing up to sign him.On high wages he represents a gamble.
PTP winner 2015.

squired

Postby squired » Wed Oct 02, 2013 18:03 pm

Lets face it, there are a bunch of positives/negatives that we aren't going to know about. Does he fit well into a team? Is he willing to ride for team mates when asked to? Does he train hard? Is he easy going or disruptive?

Maybe it is all about wages and lack of points, or maybe other teams just don't see him as someone that would fit in for any of a number of reasons. I wouldn't mind betting that he is looking to be a team leader, while some teams might see him as more of a super domestique that can also get results, with a leader role in certain races.

Rick Chasey
Lives Here

Postby Rick Chasey » Thu Oct 03, 2013 07:19 am

He'll get a team.

blim

Postby blim » Thu Oct 03, 2013 09:23 am

De Gendt might, but will the rest of these guys?

http://www.nieuwsblad.be/SportWereld/cnt/DMF20131002_00771828
kop van de wedstrijd

Richmond Racer

Postby Richmond Racer » Thu Oct 03, 2013 09:32 am

blim wrote:De Gendt might, but will the rest of these guys?

http://www.nieuwsblad.be/SportWereld/cnt/DMF20131002_00771828

That's sobering...

FJS

Postby FJS » Sat Oct 05, 2013 06:16 am

De Gendt loses 80% of his salary at OPQS compared to Vacansoleil, according to Het Nieuwsblad

No tA Doctor

Postby No tA Doctor » Sat Oct 05, 2013 09:55 am

Hasn't the points system been reformed already, so that only the top few riders on a team count?
“Road racing was over and the UCI had banned my riding positions on the track, so it was like ‘Jings, crivvens, help ma Boab, what do I do now? I know, I’ll go away and be depressed for 10 years’.”

@DrHeadgear

Steve Abraham's attempt at the year record

gpreeves

Postby gpreeves » Sat Oct 05, 2013 10:13 am

It's already been mentioned in the Horner contract thread, but isn't the talk of de Gendt's points moot?

There's no competition for WT Licences this year so there's little to be gained in signing a rider based on his current points haul, sensible instead to sign whichever rider you think will win most races/gain the most points for next year or the year after that.

Captain Fagor

Postby Captain Fagor » Sat Oct 05, 2013 11:59 am

Rick Chasey wrote:He'll get a team.

I really hope you're right. Sausageboy's performance from the top of the Mortirolo to the Stelvio was supreme!

Return to “Pro Race”