The way to behave

General bike chat that does not fit elsewhere
Phil_D

The way to behave

Postby Phil_D » Fri Oct 04, 2013 11:20 am

The thread titled "bad form old chap" has got me thinking.

I cycle around 100 miles a week and try my best to be polite and sensible.

It occurred to me that although I drive a car, as I have had no training on the bicycle there may be a myriad of things that I am doing that I should not be doing, but I just don't know it... yet.

To stop me getting a smack on the nose, please would you let me know the things you see cyclists doing that I ought not do.

ChrisAOnABike

Re: The way to behave

Postby ChrisAOnABike » Fri Oct 04, 2013 11:25 am

Being faster than me.
Is the gorilla tired yet?

Neal1984

Postby Neal1984 » Fri Oct 04, 2013 11:27 am

Riding two abreast down a narrow country lane on a Sunday afternoon

Life is like riding a bicycle: you don't fall off unless you stop pedaling.

Scott Foil Team Issue HMX Di2
Boardman Team Carbon LTD

bsharp77

Postby bsharp77 » Fri Oct 04, 2013 11:31 am

You drive, you cycle - you know the rules of the road, so you should be fine.
Doesnt mean somebody wont want to smack you - there are bad drivers and bad cyclists a plenty!
I commute every day by bike - my one major annoyance is cyclists running red lights - dangerous and highly stupid.

ju5t1n

Postby ju5t1n » Fri Oct 04, 2013 11:31 am

Wearing mismatched pro jersey and shorts

arran77

Postby arran77 » Fri Oct 04, 2013 11:34 am

ju5t1n wrote:Wearing pro jersey and shorts

FTFY :wink:
"Arran, you are like the Tony Benn of smut. You have never diluted your depravity and always stand by your beliefs. You have my respect sir and your wife my pity" :lol:

seanoconn

Gozzy

Postby Gozzy » Fri Oct 04, 2013 11:37 am

Make sure there's no-one around when you run red lights.

Slowbike

Postby Slowbike » Fri Oct 04, 2013 11:44 am

Neal1984 wrote:Riding two abreast down a narrow country lane on a Sunday afternoon

Why? Surely it depends on the traffic.

You should try not to hold up traffic. But if there's little traffic about then I see no harm in riding two abreast. Just go single file when a vehicle approaches.

diamonddog

Postby diamonddog » Fri Oct 04, 2013 11:49 am

https://www.gov.uk/rules-for-cyclists-5 ... w-59-to-71
Have a look at this if you feel like it. :)

Barteos

Postby Barteos » Fri Oct 04, 2013 13:34 pm

Neal1984 wrote:Riding two abreast down a narrow country lane on a Sunday afternoon

This.

Chris Bass

Postby Chris Bass » Fri Oct 04, 2013 14:02 pm

what i have learned from reading these forums is that whatever you (or anyone els) do (or does), someone else will tell you you are wrong or just not to do it!! and someone will then counter that and say you should or have to do it!

that is of course before it escalates and the nazis get involved!
www.conjunctivitis.com - a site for sore eyes

Wirral_Paul

Postby Wirral_Paul » Fri Oct 04, 2013 14:34 pm

Chris Bass wrote:what i have learned from reading these forums is that whatever you (or anyone els) do (or does), someone else will tell you you are wrong or just not to do it!! and someone will then counter that and say you should or have to do it!

You're wrong - you shouldnt have posted that on here ;) :lol:

Bobbinogs

Postby Bobbinogs » Fri Oct 04, 2013 14:41 pm

Every cyclist should have a opinion on something and not be afraid to share it. Not having the right experience or expertise in an area must not prevent anyone having an opinion about it, in fact in some cases the lack of expertise/experience is a positive advantage.

itsnotarace

Postby itsnotarace » Fri Oct 04, 2013 14:43 pm

At the very least please read the highway code again, and recognise the differences between SHOULD, MUST and MUST NOT

bernithebiker

Postby bernithebiker » Fri Oct 04, 2013 15:02 pm

Don't nick anyone's KOMs, it's considered very bad form and some people get EXTREMELY upset......
http://www.cyclespeedtours.com

Bespoke and 5* cycle trips based in Palma, Mallorca.

Kajjal

Postby Kajjal » Fri Oct 04, 2013 15:20 pm

Especially on blind tight corners, that makes you loads of new friends.

Kajjal

Postby Kajjal » Fri Oct 04, 2013 15:26 pm

itsnotarace wrote:

At the very least please read the highway code again, and recognise the differences between SHOULD, MUST and MUST NOT

Get over yourself ;)

We share the roads with alot of other users and it is in everyones interest we ride safely and with respect to other road users. The worst example I saw was in Wales on a busy A road. Two cyclists rode down the A road two abreast and no one could over take them safely leading to a huge tail back. If tractors can pull over to let traffic past then these pair of idiots certainly can.

adr82

Postby adr82 » Fri Oct 04, 2013 15:29 pm

Kajjal wrote:
itsnotarace wrote:

Get over yourself ;)

We share the roads with alot of other users and it is in everyones interest we ride safely and with respect to other road users. The worst example I saw was in Wales on a busy A road. Two cyclists rode down the A road two abreast and no one could over take them safely leading to a huge tail back. If tractors can pull over to let traffic past then these pair of idiots certainly can.

There's a bit of a difference between telling people they flat out can't ride two abreast down a narrow country lane and advising them that if you want to ride like that then it's generally a good idea to be prepared to pull over or get into single file to let traffic overtake.

NeXXus

Postby NeXXus » Fri Oct 04, 2013 15:34 pm

Kajjal wrote:The worst example I saw was in Wales on a busy A road. Two cyclists rode down the A road two abreast and no one could over take them safely leading to a huge tail back.

Couldn't overtake them because they were riding two-abreast - or couldn't overtake due to traffic in the other direction?. There is a distinct difference there that you neglected to include or elaborate on.

If tractors can pull over to let traffic past then these pair of idiots certainly can.

They can, but often don't in my experience. Again, without having been a witness to your example (perhaps scenario you have concocted) it could be assumed that on a busy road, taking more space on it is one way to deter close passes?

Do you really want cars passing you within the white line with heavy opposing traffic? Frankly, sometimes riding single file is idiotic. But again I wasn't there, on the road or within your head - whichever.
The walls kept tumbling down, in the city that we love.

wandsworth

Postby wandsworth » Fri Oct 04, 2013 16:21 pm

NeXXus wrote:
Kajjal wrote:The worst example I saw was in Wales on a busy A road. Two cyclists rode down the A road two abreast and no one could over take them safely leading to a huge tail back.

Couldn't overtake them because they were riding two-abreast - or couldn't overtake due to traffic in the other direction?. There is a distinct difference there that you neglected to include or elaborate on.

Sorry, but this argument is bonkers. Traffic coming the other way is what it is, it's just there, but two cyclists riding two abreast can choose to ride single file if riding two abreast is holding people up. If they don't they are just being selfish and inconsiderate and making people hate cyclists.
Shut up, knees!

Various Boardmans, a Focus, a Cannondale and an ancient Trek.

Return to “Road General”