The Big Doping Thread!

Talk about competitive road cycling in all its forms
morstar

The Big Doping Thread!

Postby morstar » Fri Oct 04, 2013 20:39 pm

Just a thought. With the success of having just one big LA thread (which still refuses to die), is it possible/desirable to have just one doping thread?
Just think it may help threads about racing to remain focused on the racing and those who want to talk doping to speak with like minded folk.
I enjoy both topics but think they need some segregation.

Crankbrother

Re: The Big Doping Thread!

Postby Crankbrother » Fri Oct 04, 2013 20:57 pm

Slow day in the stirs it much threads?

deejay

Postby deejay » Thu Dec 05, 2013 17:02 pm

Di Luca banned for life by CONI December 5, 16:39

EPO positive ends Italian's career

The anti-doping tribunal of the Italian Olympic Committee has given Danilo Di Luca a lifetime ban from the sport following his positive doping test for EPO ahead of this year's Giro d'Italia, CONI announced today.

Di Luca was also fined €35,000 and must pay €850 for the costs of the proceedings, as well as the costs of the lab analysis, which is 3,150 CHF.

The 37-year-old Italian was brought into the Vini Fantini squad in February of this year. He tested positive for EPO in an out-of-competition control taken on April 29, but the news of the result did not break until the third week of the Giro d'Italia. His teammate Mauro Santambrogio also tested positive for EPO in a sample taken on stage 1 the race.

http://www.cyclingnews.com/news/di-luca ... fe-by-coni

Richmond Racer

Postby Richmond Racer » Thu Dec 05, 2013 17:10 pm

Byeeee Killer, and good riddance

ddraver

Postby ddraver » Thu Dec 05, 2013 17:15 pm

It's a good idea but the Clinic Worker Bees rarely have any respect for such requests - you ll notice that whiteboytrash is denying that he's talking about doping at all...i think is this is the fourth incarnation of this idea this year unfortunately.
We're in danger of confusing passion with incompetence
- @ddraver
- Blog-http://davekio.wordpress.com/

Richmond Racer

Postby Richmond Racer » Thu Dec 05, 2013 18:52 pm

madasahattersley wrote:A €35,000 euro fine? Just enough for him to still be able to live comfortably for the rest of his life without having to work again, I guess :evil:

Perhaps the law gives little room for larger fines, dont know. But he's out of sport for life now, and that'll do for me.

ThomThom

Postby ThomThom » Thu Dec 05, 2013 20:51 pm

We can soon have a thread that combines all the threads that combines doping related discussions..

rayjay

Postby rayjay » Thu Dec 05, 2013 21:58 pm

But he still feels the need to dope.

Is he just a leftover from the past or does he feel that nothing has changed and it's still the only way to compete?

It's interesting that his team mate got busted as well.

Suspicions aroused that it could be more widespread.

We have heard all comments about how clean cycling now is AL [after lance] but I am not so sure.

Joelsim

Postby Joelsim » Thu Dec 05, 2013 23:27 pm

rayjay wrote:But he still feels the need to dope.

Is he just a leftover from the past or does he feel that nothing has changed and it's still the only way to compete?

It's interesting that his team mate got busted as well.

Suspicions aroused that it could be more widespread.

We have heard all comments about how clean cycling now is AL [after lance] but I am not so sure.

Couldn't agree more. Cleaner perhaps.
My men 2016: Kung, Meintjes, MA Lopez, Betancur, A Yates, S Yates, Gaviria, Taaramae. Bonus: Teunissen

www.catsittersw17.co.uk

deejay

Postby deejay » Fri Dec 06, 2013 12:13 pm

Joelsim wrote:
rayjay wrote:We have heard all comments about how clean cycling now is but I am not so sure.

Couldn't agree more. Cleaner perhaps.
I would agree also, after seeing the Vuelta this year.

No tA Doctor

Postby No tA Doctor » Fri Dec 06, 2013 15:00 pm

ThomThom wrote:We can soon have a thread that combines all the threads that combines doping related discussions..

I was going to post the same "can we have a thread for all posts about combining all posts about doping into one thread?"

But I wasn't sure where to post it.

Now I think we might need a thread for all posts about combining all posts about combining all posts about doping into one thread.
“Road racing was over and the UCI had banned my riding positions on the track, so it was like ‘Jings, crivvens, help ma Boab, what do I do now? I know, I’ll go away and be depressed for 10 years’.”

@DrHeadgear

Steve Abraham's attempt at the year record

ddraver

Postby ddraver » Fri Dec 13, 2013 16:18 pm

News: Volta a Portugal winner Alex Marque tests positive: Alex Marque's contract with Movistar void

http://bit.ly/1dwWv9m

Danny Pate ‏@TheDPate 3m
Good work @alexmarque ! It's guys like you that make me love this sport.

Good lad Danny...
We're in danger of confusing passion with incompetence
- @ddraver
- Blog-http://davekio.wordpress.com/

frenchfighter

Postby frenchfighter » Fri Dec 13, 2013 16:42 pm

Alex Marque issued a statement on his Facebook today saying that he possessed a TUE (Therapeutic Use Exemption) for the use of betamethasone. The UCI, the anti-doping inspector and his team were aware he had taken the product.

"Betamethasone is a product which is allowed but not during races," he said. "Just before the Tour of Portugal, the most important race on the calendar in Portugal, my participation was in serious danger because of problems with my right knee. I received oral treatment with betamethasone and physiotherapy but to no avail. I had the product injected in my knee twice. My team and the UCI knew about this.

"When I was tested I also told the doping inspector of the product. There was no concealment from my part but I didn't go public with it because I didn't want to alert my rivals in the race. I consider the presence of the substance in my body sufficiently declared and have now received treatment for the knee with regards to the new season. The use of betamethasone was prescripted. I had no intent to deceive."

Sounds fine to me. And even then, the product isnt exactly performance enhancing.
Contador is the Greatest

Stillnox

Postby Stillnox » Fri Dec 13, 2013 16:59 pm

frenchfighter wrote:Sounds fine to me. And even then, the product isnt exactly performance enhancing.
You are right, corticosteroids are not performance enhancing products.

:idea:

rayjay

Postby rayjay » Fri Dec 13, 2013 17:42 pm

So it's only reason for being used is genuine or a masking agent.

It seems a bit harsh, from what has been said it was declared and you would have thought the UCI would have said something if it was banned at the time and told them not to use it.

Blazing Saddles

Postby Blazing Saddles » Fri Dec 13, 2013 17:54 pm

Well, probably unlike anybody else here, I saw every stage.
Pretty much the same in ever edition I've watched.
Always crazy racing from some Portuguese team or other.
Usually triggers the odd positive or several.
"Science is a tool for cheaters". An anonymous French PE teacher.

Richmond Racer

Postby Richmond Racer » Sat Dec 14, 2013 10:58 am

frenchfighter wrote:Alex Marque issued a statement on his Facebook today saying that he possessed a TUE (Therapeutic Use Exemption) for the use of betamethasone. The UCI, the anti-doping inspector and his team were aware he had taken the product.

"Betamethasone is a product which is allowed but not during races," he said. "Just before the Tour of Portugal, the most important race on the calendar in Portugal, my participation was in serious danger because of problems with my right knee. I received oral treatment with betamethasone and physiotherapy but to no avail. I had the product injected in my knee twice. My team and the UCI knew about this.

"When I was tested I also told the doping inspector of the product. There was no concealment from my part but I didn't go public with it because I didn't want to alert my rivals in the race. I consider the presence of the substance in my body sufficiently declared and have now received treatment for the knee with regards to the new season. The use of betamethasone was prescripted. I had no intent to deceive."

Sounds fine to me. And even then, the product isnt exactly performance enhancing.

FF, Kenny Pryde's been on the cortisone thing for a while now - written some blogs and an article for a recent CycleSport. He's just posted this blog - have a read, might change your view? At the least it explains why it's performance-enhancing - and banned by the UCI during, and now 8 days before, racing:

http://www.biscuittinmedia.com/alejandr ... ugal-2013/

Stillnox

Postby Stillnox » Sat Dec 14, 2013 14:08 pm

Richmond Racer wrote:FF, Kenny Pryde's been on the cortisone thing for a while now - written some blogs and an article for a recent CycleSport. He's just posted this blog - have a read, might change your view? At the least it explains why it's performance-enhancing - and banned by the UCI during, and now 8 days before, racing:

http://www.biscuittinmedia.com/alejandr ... ugal-2013/

Read it yesterday, that is indeed a good piece, everyone should read that one, also the side effects of synacthen and that crap, scary stuff. Good thing cyclists are allowed to use that during training :roll:

frenchfighter

Postby frenchfighter » Sat Dec 14, 2013 22:02 pm

Tks will give it a read later RR even if I dont like Pryde!
Contador is the Greatest

frenchfighter

Postby frenchfighter » Sat Dec 14, 2013 23:11 pm

Good article, reasonably written and does educate you on the matter. From what I can gather though its 'performance enhancing' aspect is that you can train harder than the next rider? Other than that what does it actually do? Training with one of those oxygen masks seems to be more beneficial to me yet that isnt banned. Im not quite sure how it can turn an E rider into an A rider? Which is what many legit forms of doping do.
Contador is the Greatest

Return to “Pro Race”