winstanleys bikes

General bike chat that does not fit elsewhere
johnseasider1

winstanleys bikes

Postby johnseasider1 » Sat Oct 05, 2013 17:06 pm

buyer beware I tried to buy a bike from winstanleys the only thing that went smooth is when they took the money from my account,i did not receive any confirmation e mails but was promised my bike would be dispatched in 24 hours,after 2 days of hearing nothing I contacted them by phone and was told they were busy and my bike might be dispatched that afternoon but I would receive a dispatch e mail with a tracking number so I could track my order and be at home to receive and sign for my bike, no email arrived and the next day there was a card that had been posted earlier in the day from the courier advising me of an attempted delivery,the courier can only be contacted online there was an option to collect the bike myself but the depot was 30 miles away,at this point I lost confidence and asked for a refund from winstanleys but was told this would not happen until they got the bike back despite the fact I never had the bike I my possession and was not legally responsible for it,at this point I still have had no refund and I have had to get trading standards involved to try and recover my money please be carefull when buying online

JSCL

Re: winstanleys bikes

Postby JSCL » Sat Oct 05, 2013 17:53 pm

To be fair, I wouldn't expect a refund until they received the bike back, that's quite obvious. Why didn't you just chase the courier? Seems like you're doing very little to resolve the solution to me.
Follow me on Twitter - http://twitter.com/scalesjason - All posts are my personal view, not that of my employers.

964Cup

Postby 964Cup » Sat Oct 05, 2013 18:12 pm

Is that all one sentence? Don't you need to breathe?

Are you seriously suggesting that you're going to involve trading standards because you happened not to be in when the courier tried to deliver for the first time, and you couldn't be bothered to work out how they manage redelivery? If getting the bike urgently was so important, why not buy it from your LBS's stock? The trade off with buying on the internet is that delivery may take time, and - crucially - you do need to be there when they try to deliver.

dwanes

Postby dwanes » Sat Oct 05, 2013 18:55 pm

Johnseasider you need to get real and stop behaving like a spoilt brat. You are just wasting everyone's time.

cattytown

Postby cattytown » Sat Oct 05, 2013 19:17 pm

First and only post a whinge.

Not receiving an email does not mean it wasn't sent. Emails like that can easily fall foul of SPAM filters.

It sounds like delivery was next day - that's not worth complaining about.

P.
Giant Defy 2
Large bloke getting smaller :-)

silverpigeon

Postby silverpigeon » Sat Oct 05, 2013 20:24 pm

I've spent a fair old bit of money with Winstanleys over the last couple of years and have them to be very helpful. One of my favourite online retailers actually.
Basso Astra
Principia Ellipse SX
Kinesis Racelight 4S
Kinesis Crosslight Pro Disc
Moots Rigormootis

spankwilder

Postby spankwilder » Sat Oct 05, 2013 20:34 pm

Just phone the courier and reschedule the delivery? It's worth noting that buying some bikes isn't like buying a pair of pant's it's a bit more involved - hopefully if you return it, they'll take 28 days to refund you too.

carrock

Postby carrock » Sat Oct 05, 2013 20:46 pm

So buyer beware what?

Beware you might get a bike delivered 3 days after you ordered it?

Beware that you might lose confidence faced with a mammoth 30 mile trek to collect a parcel that YOU ordered that the courier couldn't deliver as YOU weren't in to receive it.

I would say retailer beware that there are people around who order bikes then get trading standards involved to try and get an immediate refund when they change their minds....or when they lose confidence :shock:

What a joke....
Last edited by carrock on Sat Oct 05, 2013 20:50 pm, edited 1 time in total.

SloppySchleckonds

Postby SloppySchleckonds » Sat Oct 05, 2013 20:49 pm

Who the hell buys a new bike this time of year anyway?
I'm sorry you don't believe in miracles

cattytown

Postby cattytown » Sat Oct 05, 2013 21:16 pm

SloppySchleckonds wrote:Who the hell buys a new bike this time of year anyway?

Someone who gets a good discount?
Giant Defy 2

MountainMonster

Postby MountainMonster » Sat Oct 05, 2013 22:08 pm

Judging by his post and the level of grammar he shows, I would fathom a guess and say the he is a pleasant chap to deal with on the phone.

Russyh

Postby Russyh » Sun Oct 06, 2013 07:05 am

I bet you even emailed them saying you were going to bad mouth then on Internet forums as well! Jesus, I don't see what the problem is. If you want A1 service don't be such a cheap skate and buy from your local bike shop instead of an online retailer who is probably doing a deal. Even then have a little more tolerance to things going wrong.

Oh and welcome to the forum!! Please feel free to moan about wiggle as we'll if you like. Douche!

Davdandy

Postby Davdandy » Sun Oct 06, 2013 08:09 am

30 miles away,wow,that's like half way across the globe isn't it?
Cannondale CAAD 8 105
Rockrider 8.1

cattytown

Postby cattytown » Sun Oct 06, 2013 08:20 am

30 miles could be awkward of you can't fit a boxed bike into your car. I'd get them to redeliver, and I have a nice big estate car. Contacting them to arrange delivery is no tremendous hardship - I prefer online rearrangement anyway as I can do that at my convenience instead of just during their office hours. You can normally also pick your choice of day for delivery.

Paul.
Giant Defy 2

Russyh

Postby Russyh » Sun Oct 06, 2013 08:41 am

cattytown wrote:30 miles could be awkward of you can't fit a boxed bike into your car. I'd get them to redeliver, and I have a nice big estate car. Contacting them to arrange delivery is no tremendous hardship - I prefer online rearrangement anyway as I can do that at my convenience instead of just during their office hours. You can normally also pick your choice of day for delivery.

Paul.

But if it were that easy , the OP would have nothing to moan to trading standards about. Or for that matter to join BR!

I think he is just bitter at the world, since wiggle failed to deliver 'The moon on a stick he ordered'
Last edited by Russyh on Sun Oct 06, 2013 09:21 am, edited 1 time in total.

mustgettaller

Postby mustgettaller » Sun Oct 06, 2013 08:58 am

johnseasider1 wrote:buyer beware I tried to buy a bike from winstanleys the only thing that went smooth is when they took the money from my account,i did not receive any confirmation e mails but was promised my bike would be dispatched in 24 hours,after 2 days of hearing nothing I contacted them by phone and was told they were busy and my bike might be dispatched that afternoon but I would receive a dispatch e mail with a tracking number so I could track my order and be at home to receive and sign for my bike, no email arrived and the next day there was a card that had been posted earlier in the day from the courier advising me of an attempted delivery,the courier can only be contacted online there was an option to collect the bike myself but the depot was 30 miles away,at this point I lost confidence and asked for a refund from winstanleys but was told this would not happen until they got the bike back despite the fact I never had the bike I my possession and was not legally responsible for it,at this point I still have had no refund and I have had to get trading standards involved to try and recover my money please be carefull when buying online

I think you need to make more use of these

and get a life.

simonhead

Postby simonhead » Sun Oct 06, 2013 09:26 am

Life isnt like a box of chocolates, its like a bag of pic n mix.

diamonddog

Postby diamonddog » Sun Oct 06, 2013 13:50 pm

^^ This

claddo

Postby claddo » Sun Oct 06, 2013 17:34 pm

Its clear that Johnseasider has rubbed you all up the wrong way - and perhaps not without cause! - but I think it is worth saying that some legitimate caution should be used before choosing to buy at Winstanley's.

We can all have mixed experiences; but its not without foundation that Winstanleys has more than its fair share of horror stories. A quick browse on trustpilot, reviewcenter or even bikeradar commuting board sites should be enough to know there are better places to spend your money.

I've bought a few times from them and its never been easy or pleasant. I understand that their prices, especially on last season bikes, can be difficult to resist though.

Return to “Road General”