Pre Ride Meal - Inspiration required

General bike chat that does not fit elsewhere
Tjgoodhew

Pre Ride Meal - Inspiration required

Postby Tjgoodhew » Mon Oct 07, 2013 15:44 pm

So whenever this topic comes up i see the same sort of things being mentioned - Chicken, pasta, green veg, carbs etc....

But i wondered if anyone has anything a little bit different that they swear by or an interesting spin on the above ingredients.

I think the OH is getting a little bit fed up of chicken rice and green beans every Friday night !!

Im also preparing to attempt my first century on Saturday so any advice on anything extra i should do this week in the build up is appreciated. Im guessing eat normally and drink lots of fluid avoiding alcohol would be more than fine. Iv gone up to 75 miles and can conformabley do 60 so im pretty confident i will be able to do the 100
Cannondale Caad8
Canyon Aeroad 8.0

http://www.strava.com/athletes/goodhewt

hatch87

Re: Pre Ride Meal - Inspiration required

Postby hatch87 » Mon Oct 07, 2013 15:46 pm

Porridge made with full fat milk is the way I start every day now. Use it as an excuse to eat as much as you damn well please all week :D
http://app.strava.com/athletes/686217
Come on! You call this a storm? Blow, you son of a *****! Blow! It's time for a showdown! You and me! I'm right here! Come and get me!

bernithebiker

Postby bernithebiker » Mon Oct 07, 2013 16:11 pm

Big Mac and fries.

And don't forget to go Large.
http://www.cyclespeedtours.com

Bespoke and 5* cycle trips based in Palma, Mallorca.

mpatts

Postby mpatts » Mon Oct 07, 2013 16:15 pm

I tried fish and chips the other day.

I basically think if you get a good mix of protein and carbs, then anything goes.
Insert bike here:

thegreatdivide

Postby thegreatdivide » Mon Oct 07, 2013 16:21 pm

I like a nice winter mash made of carrots, potatoes and either parsnips or sweet spuds (or both), steamed to get them started then chucked on a baking tray with some olive oil and a wee bit of chopped fresh rosemary, roasted then roughly mashed with a dollop of wholegrain mustard thrown in. A hefty portion of that plus a bit of grilled fish or chicken and some purple sprouting broccoli makes a rocking night before meal. Slow release carbs (apart from the standard spuds) and plenty of fibre in there for a bit of pre ride weight loss ;-)
"Crevaison sur les paves..."

simonhead

Postby simonhead » Mon Oct 07, 2013 16:24 pm

Rib eye steak with potato dauphinoise and salad, followed by lemon syllabub with date and walnut flapjack.
Life isnt like a box of chocolates, its like a bag of pic n mix.

Tjgoodhew

Postby Tjgoodhew » Mon Oct 07, 2013 16:35 pm

simonhead wrote:Rib eye steak with potato dauphinoise and salad, followed by lemon syllabub with date and walnut flapjack.

Thats what im talking about !!!!
Cannondale Caad8
Canyon Aeroad 8.0

Imposter

Postby Imposter » Mon Oct 07, 2013 16:43 pm

Whatever you would normally eat - just eat that. Assuming you eat 'normally' at all other times, your regular diet should be fine. For a 100 miler though, eating during the ride is far more critical than what you eat before it.

Tjgoodhew

Postby Tjgoodhew » Mon Oct 07, 2013 16:50 pm

Imposter wrote:Whatever you would normally eat - just eat that. Assuming you eat 'normally' at all other times, your regular diet should be fine. For a 100 miler though, eating during the ride is far more critical than what you eat before it.

For 75 i was fine with a gatorade in one of my bottles, 3 high 5 energy gels and 3/4 of a pack of jelly babies.

Working on the ratios i was going to just take an extra energy gel and that should be enough or am i likely to need more ?
Cannondale Caad8
Canyon Aeroad 8.0

izza

Postby izza » Mon Oct 07, 2013 16:57 pm

mpatts wrote:I tried fish and chips the other day.

I basically think if you get a good mix of protein and carbs, then anything goes.

+ 1 for fish or pie and chips.

However, I also like a chinese takeaway. NOT the Sweet and sour pork balls as all fat but a good salty Kung Po makes me drink lots of fluid the night before and egg fried rice for the protein/carb mix.

Might try a Korma one day but I find spices repeat on me and can't bear the thought of burping my way round 100 miles or risking a Greg Lemond hat trick.

izza

Postby izza » Mon Oct 07, 2013 17:00 pm

Bike Swanky wrote:
I'd bear in mind that the human intestine is certainly efficient, but possibly not as quick as you would like to think :)

It's probably Wednesday and Thursday's food that will be getting processed through your gut on Friday in time for Saturday.

So if you want to go out on the lash straight after a Saturday sportive, start drinking beers on Thursday night? :wink: :wink: :wink:

simonhead

Postby simonhead » Mon Oct 07, 2013 17:02 pm

izza wrote:
mpatts wrote:I tried fish and chips the other day.

+ 1 for fish or pie and chips.

However, I also like a chinese takeaway. NOT the Sweet and sour pork balls as all fat but a good salty Kung Po makes me drink lots of fluid the night before and egg fried rice for the protein/carb mix.

Might try a Korma one day but I find spices repeat on me and can't bear the thought of burping my way round 100 miles or risking a Greg Lemond hat trick.

Korma is really not spicy, if you are unsure just get tandoori chicken and raita
Life isnt like a box of chocolates, its like a bag of pic n mix.

kwi

Postby kwi » Mon Oct 07, 2013 17:37 pm

izza wrote:Might try a Korma one day but I find spices repeat on me and can't bear the thought of burping my way round 100 miles or risking a Greg Lemond hat trick.

I had a Chilli (A proper mans one with plenty of heat.) one night for my tea then went out for a late night ride, yup, it came up after lots of repeating. Spicy foods for days I'm eating after my ride from then on.

jotko

Postby jotko » Mon Oct 07, 2013 22:51 pm

I usually go for big pasta dish the night before a big ride - pasta. cream, white wine, bacon , mushrooms etc.

Had a massive takeaway curry the night before my first century ride - worked a treat for me but at the time I was not sure it was a good idea!

dsoutar

Postby dsoutar » Tue Oct 08, 2013 06:24 am

Except for big european sportives (Marmotte or Maratona) I've rarely done a ride that warranted a massive carbo load the night before although I did do an unplanned 240km one day and I definitely wished I'd had one then.

Anything up to 150km, 3 small bits of toast (Marmite / Jam / Peanut butter) for breakfast and I take a banana or two and maybe some malt loaf and an energy gel for emergencies.

964Cup

Postby 964Cup » Tue Oct 08, 2013 21:59 pm

"Carbo-loading" is mostly nonsense. Done right, it takes days and isn't much fun. Just eat well (i.e. a reasonable but not gut-stretching quantity of relatively bland protein and carbs) and get plenty of sleep. A 100 for me is four gels, one energy bar (Clif bar, normally) and a banana, plus fluids in keeping with the temperature. Have a light breakfast well beforehand (say yoghurt and muesli, or porridge, plus a banana).

Bobbinogs

Postby Bobbinogs » Wed Oct 09, 2013 14:41 pm

When I started riding the longer rides I fretted about carb loading and what to eat in the few days before a ride, etc. Then one night before a big ride I thought "sod it" and had a big fat curry and a shedload of rather nice IPA and found that I was ok on the ride, in fact I rode very well (for me). Since then, I just make sure I eat enough of what I feel like on the day before a big ride but nothing more 'scientific' than that. If I want a few beers then I will have them too.

I find the day of the ride is important though. I eat a decent breakfast and refuel throughout the ride (mixture of carb drinks, normal drinks, normal food and the odd gel).

CiB

Postby CiB » Wed Oct 09, 2013 15:29 pm

Bobbinogs wrote:When I started riding the longer rides I fretted about carb loading and what to eat in the few days before a ride, etc. Then one night before a big ride I thought "sod it" and had a big fat curry and a shedload of rather nice IPA and found that I was ok on the ride, in fact I rode very well (for me). Since then, I just make sure I eat enough of what I feel like on the day before a big ride but nothing more 'scientific' than that. If I want a few beers then I will have them too.

I find the day of the ride is important though. I eat a decent breakfast and refuel throughout the ride (mixture of carb drinks, normal drinks, normal food and the odd gel).

Good lad. I think we all agreed a week or two ago that a bottle of red is ok too, the night before not in your water bottles.

You can over-think this food malarkey. You need enough carbs proteins & fluids to keep you going for 6 or 7 hours, and that's it. I find a decent breakfast + a bit to top up at about 70 miles is enough, but the best way is to go out and do it. You'll probably pass a shop at some point - the chance of bonking in the middle of nowhere is slim, and if you do it's your own fault. :)

pinkteapot

Postby pinkteapot » Thu Oct 10, 2013 08:20 am

Large pizza from Dominos. Coincedentally, it's the same number of calories as I burn on a 60 mile ride...

EDIT: Just noticed the comments above about takeaway... I also did an awesome ride the morning after a large Dominos. :oops: I've stopped doing my party trick of monching through a whole large pizza by myself now though - after realising that it took a 60 mile ride to burn it off. :shock:

phreak

Postby phreak » Thu Oct 10, 2013 15:34 pm

I've got the book Go Faster Food and it has some super recipes for both pre and post rides. You're pretty sure to find something tasty in there.

Return to “Road General”