There are no significant facts about human beings

The place for more serious off topic questions, light hearted banter and friendly chat.
meursault

There are no significant facts about human beings

Postby meursault » Wed Oct 09, 2013 16:07 pm

http://blog.practicalethics.ox.ac.uk/2013/10/there-are-no-significant-facts-about-human-beings/

I am (and always have been) confused. Not to worry, this seems the natural order of things. As well as general discussion about the text, I have a question you may be able to help me with:

I love the Eastern, Buddhist philosophies. Let's say they are correct for the sake of argument, whatever 'correct' means. Our suffering is linked to attachment and all reality is the eternal void. Would my path of study towards this enlightenment be cold and inhuman?
Superstition sets the whole world in flames; philosophy quenches them.

Voltaire

Ballysmate

Re: There are no significant facts about human beings

Postby Ballysmate » Wed Oct 09, 2013 16:21 pm

:?: :?

sungod

Postby sungod » Wed Oct 09, 2013 17:00 pm

no
my bike - faster than god's and twice as shiny

Mikey23

Postby Mikey23 » Wed Oct 09, 2013 17:44 pm

Is that the philosophical perspective known as nihilism?

Not summat I would subscribe to as i find it rather bleak and empty. I think a couple of vodkas and a bit of research is required before a response...

daviesee

Postby daviesee » Wed Oct 09, 2013 17:47 pm

Probably more like a couple of minutes research and a bottle of vodka. :wink:
None of the above should be taken seriously, and certainly not personally.

Mikey23

Postby Mikey23 » Thu Oct 10, 2013 07:36 am

Ok, read the article again and the responses. I'm not entirely sure whether the author has anything meaningful to say or is having a laugh. Either way, this is light years away from my own view of the world so I don't intend to waste any more of my time on it

@ms.. I'm afraid I don't have anything constructive to say here either... Thanks for sharing

team47b

Postby team47b » Thu Oct 10, 2013 08:10 am

There is a danger of falling into the reductionist camp via subjectivism as in quantum mechanics.

You are a part of a whole you cannot be the observer and the observed so you cannot take a path to enlightenment as this would be selective.

You can only achieve oneness, when you stop thinking of 'human' as a separate part.

The journey via cake stop is a metaphorical step in the right direction :D

(The real T47b is back!)
my isetta is a 300cc bike

meursault

Postby meursault » Thu Oct 10, 2013 17:42 pm

team47b wrote:There is a danger of falling into the reductionist camp via subjectivism as in quantum mechanics.

You are a part of a whole you cannot be the observer and the observed so you cannot take a path to enlightenment as this would be selective.

You can only achieve oneness, when you stop thinking of 'human' as a separate part.

(The real T47b is back!)

Are you saying, according to quantum theory you can't be the observer and the observed? If not, why can't I look at myself? How does this prevent me from selecting a path?

Voltaire

meursault

Postby meursault » Thu Oct 10, 2013 17:43 pm

Mikey23 wrote:Ok, read the article again and the responses. I'm not entirely sure whether the author has anything meaningful to say or is having a laugh. Either way, this is light years away from my own view of the world so I don't intend to waste any more of my time on it

@ms.. I'm afraid I don't have anything constructive to say here either... Thanks for sharing

I find it interesting in a bigger picture kind of way. If there is nothing significant about humans, what is the point in anything?

Voltaire

team47b

Postby team47b » Thu Oct 10, 2013 18:43 pm

meursault wrote:
team47b wrote:There is a danger of falling into the reductionist camp via subjectivism as in quantum mechanics.

(The real T47b is back!)

Are you saying, according to quantum theory you can't be the observer and the observed? If not, why can't I look at myself? How does this prevent me from selecting a path?

I just meant that enlightenment is the path, it's not at the end of a particular path, as in Tao, the way. You cant look for a 'place' you are already in.

Ballysmate

Postby Ballysmate » Thu Oct 10, 2013 18:50 pm

team47b wrote:
meursault wrote:

(The real T47b is back!)

I just meant that enlightenment is the path, it's not at the end of a particular path, as in Tao, the way. You cant look for a 'place' you are already in.

Way out. man! Way out.

meursault

Postby meursault » Thu Oct 10, 2013 18:59 pm

team47b wrote:
meursault wrote:

(The real T47b is back!)

I think I see, but don't quite agree. You are not born enlightened, it is a journey, a path.

Voltaire

Mikey23

Postby Mikey23 » Thu Oct 10, 2013 19:23 pm

@t47b... I bet you copied that ...

team47b

Postby team47b » Thu Oct 10, 2013 22:19 pm

@mikey, no I didn't copy that out of a big book, it is my belief.

Did I at any time pi55 on your belief?

Can we get this in the 'it's all kicking off thread' if we try?

I think we could...

Mikey23

Postby Mikey23 » Fri Oct 11, 2013 06:33 am

Ooh yes, unfortunately working today.... Should have put a smiley on my post btw!

Giraffoto

Postby Giraffoto » Fri Oct 11, 2013 06:55 am

Either read the Book of Ecclesiastes or keep the bong and the PC in different rooms.
Specialized Roubaix Elite 2015
On-One Scandal (fully rigid)

Mikey23

Postby Mikey23 » Fri Oct 11, 2013 07:14 am

Indeed... Everything is meaningless under the sun

Mikey23

Postby Mikey23 » Fri Oct 11, 2013 07:30 am

@t47b... Once again apologies. Was only being flippant. You might have pi$$ed on my beliefs! I know some do, but I take it all in good humour. Anyway, Ecclesiastes is the writings of an old man approaching death and reflecting that much of his life was not centred on God and therefore is purposeless and meaningless. Which pretty much reflects my own life!

BelgianBeerGeek

Postby BelgianBeerGeek » Fri Oct 11, 2013 07:50 am

Hmm...reading the article, this looks like yet another tedious discourse on epistemology, aka the search for facts.
<strokes beard pensively>
Reminds of the ancient Greek bloke (can't remember his name) who was held to be something of a sage. When asked this sort of question he would have a ponder and conclude that he was merely a human being and it was simply too large a question for one person to tackle. So he wouldn't bother and call for another amphora of wine.

Anyway, this is the internet, since when have facts been important?

team47b

Postby team47b » Fri Oct 11, 2013 07:58 am

Mikey23 wrote:@t47b... Once again apologies. Was only being flippant. You might have pi$$ed on my beliefs! I know some do, but I take it all in good humour.

no need to apologise, I am not offended, I was being flippant, pretending indignation, trying to wind you up so that we could start a 'it's all kicking off thread' :D

Maybe next time...

:D

Return to “The Cake Stop”