Van Nicholas direct

What bike and bike bits should you buy?
AndyK2479

Van Nicholas direct

Postby AndyK2479 » Fri Oct 11, 2013 09:09 am

Hello all,
Has anyone had experience good or bad of ordering a bike from Van Nicholas directly, as opposed to going through a UK dealer?
I'm interested in the Zephyr as my next bike, saw it at the NEC Cycleshow and thought it looked classy, I had been set on an Enigma Echo but the Zephyr in the same build comes in cheaper.

There seems to be quite a few VN owners on here, any thoughts or comments on buying from them.

Cheers.

Rokt

Re: Van Nicholas direct

Postby Rokt » Fri Oct 11, 2013 10:39 am

Sorry I'm no help on ordering direct from Van Nicholas, but I too went to the Cycle Show with the
intention of purchasing a Enigma (I had the cash in my pocket) but after looking at the Van Nicholas
stand I had a change of mind. I think that the Van Nicholas bikes are not only better made, nicer looking but are also cheaper.

The main problem I have with the Enigma's is the "Hand Made in Britain" bit, the two bikes I looked at had frames made in the Far East with Campagnolo & Mavic components, neither made in this country.
Look 675 - Time Skylon - Raleigh Record Ace

SloppySchleckonds

Postby SloppySchleckonds » Fri Oct 11, 2013 11:04 am

Still kicking myself for not getting one from Planet-X last year when they were 50% off.
I'm sorry you don't believe in miracles

pdstsp

Postby pdstsp » Fri Oct 11, 2013 11:54 am

Not ordered a bike direct but have bought a couple of things from them and they were great to deal with - few exchanges of emails and stuff arrived very promptly. Love my VN - its the only specific bequest in my will (don't want it falling into the wrong hands!!)

AndyK2479

Postby AndyK2479 » Fri Oct 11, 2013 14:13 pm

Rokt wrote:Sorry I'm no help on ordering direct from Van Nicholas, but I too went to the Cycle Show with the
intention of purchasing a Enigma (I had the cash in my pocket) but after looking at the Van Nicholas
stand I had a change of mind. I think that the Van Nicholas bikes are not only better made, nicer looking but are also cheaper.

The main problem I have with the Enigma's is the "Hand Made in Britain" bit, the two bikes I looked at had frames made in the Far East with Campagnolo & Mavic components, neither made in this country.

I thought the same, the Zephyr looked a really well finished bike, I kept getting drawn back to it, back to the Echo I went but the VN just stood out for me.
I've test ride an Echo, really liked it but think if I got one I would still regret not going with the Zephyr, unless I try one and the ride quality/fit isn't the same.

VN staff were really good at the NEC, I pointed out that their online bike builder didn't have the option for a Zephyr with DA 9000 50-34 crankset, they thought it did, checked online and saw I was right, apologised and thanked me for pointing it out. Still haven't changed it tho :)

binsted

Postby binsted » Fri Oct 11, 2013 14:48 pm

Recently built up a VN Yukon, the only problem with parts was the ones I ordered direct from VN :( (how does that happen) out of stock apparently which seemed surprising, would have thought they had some sort of regulated stock control.

nicholsonsimon

Postby nicholsonsimon » Fri Oct 11, 2013 18:59 pm

I am currently waiting for a Zephyr frame, and a couple of other bits from Van Nicholas. I ordered it about 4 weeks ago, and it's due to be with me around 1st week in Nov. I guess they must be busy at the minute. I intend to build it up with either Dura ace mechanical or di2, haven't decided yet. Or maybe Ultegra di2 if I can wait until the new group is available. I'm hoping it might have a similar level of comfort to my Cervelo rs..

mattythemod

Postby mattythemod » Sun Oct 13, 2013 11:59 am

I to was in the market for a Van Nic Zepyhr or a Engima and went to the NEC show with a view to see them in the bare metal so to speak and make a purchase descion ..have to say i was very dissapointed with the Zepyhr and the finish was not a patch on the Engimas not to mention i thought the framesets were overpriced ...I also had a look at the Kinessis Gran Fondo 2 which i think the cycling press have over hyped as well , Had to be a engima for me .

enigmajim

Postby enigmajim » Sun Oct 13, 2013 14:32 pm

It's no secret that we import frames from the Far East, nor is it something that we try to hide. We do however also BUILD FRAMES IN THE UK, this is a fact and is what makes us different from almost all of our direct competitors (US manufacturers excluded). At present we have capacity to build 250 frames per year in-house and this is growing every year but we sell well in excess of this number, so the imported frames are still a vital part of our business. Indeed it is the imported frames that have enabled us to invest in our workshop with all profits being used to further our home built capacity. One day we hope to be able to say that all our frames are built in Britain but this is a long term aim that is taking longer to achieve than I had originally hoped, it sure 'aint easy.

Our imported frames are made to our design and tube profile and are finished in our own workshop. They are designed to be the best that they can be and not to be the cheapest, always there will be something that costs less.

A direct comparison of the Echo to the VN Zephyr is not possible. Like all of our frames bar one, the Echo is a double-butted frame while the VN is not as far as I'm aware (I'm not sure if any VN frames are built from double-butted tubing). A better like for like comparison would be with our Eclipse model.

Jim Walker
Enigma

Rokt

Postby Rokt » Sun Oct 13, 2013 19:07 pm

I didn't mean or indeed want to cause any offence with my comments. I just made to comment on what I saw on both your and the Van Nicholas stand at the Cycle Show. I think that the Van Nicholas produce is more visually appealing, as for what the frames are constructed from I could not comment nor could I comment on ride quality between both bikes.

One thing I would like to say though is about your new website, I think it is a mistake to reduce the custom build option on your frames.
Look 675 - Time Skylon - Raleigh Record Ace

enigmajim

Postby enigmajim » Mon Oct 14, 2013 07:33 am

No offence taken, I just wanted to explain that we do build frames in Britain and why we do what we do. As for the custom options, anything is possible customers are not limited to the set specifications shown.

Return to “Road Buying Advice”