Secure garden shed

Ask for advice or share your fettling tips
User avatar
canoas
Posts: 249
Joined: Wed Apr 29, 2009 19:25 pm

Secure garden shed

Postby canoas » Sun Oct 13, 2013 21:58 pm

Moving house, am looking at Asguard or Secure wooden shed possibly with a rectangle hole on the floor to concrete base & install ground anchor.

Has anyone used Asguard, are there more safer (gather they are?) than a secure wooden garden shed (they don't have ground anchors and are expensive)

Will install a alarm as well!

May leave my best bike inside, but wife will start moaning.........
Colnago C59 2011 with Super Record
Tommasini Rapido 2006 with Campagnolo Mirage/Centaur
Ridley X-Fire 2010 with Shimano Ultegra
hunting 1970's/1980's complete Campagnolo Tool set/box 8)

diamonddog
Posts: 2238
Joined: Tue Jun 18, 2013 10:48 am

Re: Secure garden shed

Postby diamonddog » Mon Oct 14, 2013 06:35 am

Leave 'em both inside, she will moan even more if you spend a lot of money on a shed and it still gets nicked. :)

User avatar
jermas
Posts: 286
Joined: Tue May 20, 2008 16:37 pm

Re: Secure garden shed

Postby jermas » Mon Oct 14, 2013 08:36 am

Instead of using a ground anchor (about £50-£60 ), I used a large gate eyebolt- 22mm thick steel, galvanised, and only £4 from a farming/hardwear shop.

IC.
Posts: 881
Joined: Tue Dec 20, 2011 14:35 pm

Re: Secure garden shed

Postby IC. » Mon Oct 14, 2013 09:57 am

I'd buy an Asguard if I had the money! They even do an insurance approved version for a bit more £. Think about where you will put it, you'll need a perfectly flat space to get it level. You also need to bolt them to concrete to stop people just lifting them away.

Whatever you decide upon, learn from my mistake and think about the roof

http://www.bikeradar.com/forums/viewtopic.php?f=40013&t=12898610&hilit=shed+roof

If you do use a ground anchor, think about which chain and lock you will use through it. No point having a ground anchor if you are going to use string to secure your bike to it. Expensive does not always mean better, talk to a locksmith. D Locks can be jacked open, cables cut through etc

Alarms are good, mains powered motion sensor is better.

Maybe have a look at whether the Police in your area run a SmartWater scheme.

Get it insured too, but look closely at policy wording as many have a special excess for wooden sheds
2015 Cervelo R3 DI2 - black & white
2015 CAAD8 105 - very green

The departed:

Boardman CX Team - sold
Cannondale Synapse - broken
Cube Streamer - stolen
Boardman Road Comp - stolen

User avatar
canoas
Posts: 249
Joined: Wed Apr 29, 2009 19:25 pm

Re: Secure garden shed

Postby canoas » Wed Oct 16, 2013 22:21 pm

IC. wrote:I'd buy an Asguard if I had the money! They even do an insurance approved version for a bit more £. Think about where you will put it, you'll need a perfectly flat space to get it level. You also need to bolt them to concrete to stop people just lifting them away.

Whatever you decide upon, learn from my mistake and think about the roof

http://www.bikeradar.com/forums/viewtopic.php?f=40013&t=12898610&hilit=shed+roof

If you do use a ground anchor, think about which chain and lock you will use through it. No point having a ground anchor if you are going to use string to secure your bike to it. Expensive does not always mean better, talk to a locksmith. D Locks can be jacked open, cables cut through etc

Alarms are good, mains powered motion sensor is better.

Maybe have a look at whether the Police in your area run a SmartWater scheme.

Get it insured too, but look closely at policy wording as many have a special excess for wooden sheds


I'm prepared to spend £1k+ on a Asguard shed installed on a flat concrete service which I already have. However, they they say Locksmith approved, should that mean "cannot be unlocked by a good thief". That's my concern. Can the key lock be hacked! Asguard would be useless in this instance unless you have a anchor as well inside.

As for the roof removal url, that is amazing. Ground anchor with a heavy duty motorcycle approved lock would've stopped them I'm guessing.
Colnago C59 2011 with Super Record
Tommasini Rapido 2006 with Campagnolo Mirage/Centaur
Ridley X-Fire 2010 with Shimano Ultegra
hunting 1970's/1980's complete Campagnolo Tool set/box 8)

User avatar
smidsy
Posts: 5256
Joined: Tue Jan 17, 2012 20:52 pm

Re: Secure garden shed

Postby smidsy » Thu Oct 17, 2013 06:46 am

Nothing, but nothing stops the really determined and well prepared scum bag.

All we can do is make taking our own personal possessions as difficult as possible and hope they move on to someone less prepared.

Get the Asguard AND the ground anchor AND the alarm AND a great big fook off dog to sleep in there. Also geese are great detterants :-)
Yellow is the new Black.

User avatar
Bar Shaker
Posts: 2268
Joined: Mon May 10, 2010 10:29 am

Re: Secure garden shed

Postby Bar Shaker » Fri Oct 18, 2013 10:16 am

These guys are pretty good and I have bought stuff from them in the past.

http://www.pjbsecurity.co.uk/

They do 'Sold Secure' products which meet insurance company requirements and prices include next day delivery.

Remember that sheds are very prone to condensation and your bike will be permanently damp in spring and autumn conditions.
Boardman Elite SLR 9.2S
Boardman FS Pro

User avatar
canoas
Posts: 249
Joined: Wed Apr 29, 2009 19:25 pm

Re: Secure garden shed

Postby canoas » Fri Oct 18, 2013 21:58 pm

smidsy wrote:Nothing, but nothing stops the really determined and well prepared scum bag.

All we can do is make taking our own personal possessions as difficult as possible and hope they move on to someone less prepared.

Get the Asguard AND the ground anchor AND the alarm AND a great big fook off dog to sleep in there. Also geese are great detterants :-)


ok, Asguard = yes, Alarm = yes, dog = no, geese = no.......I guess I'm 50% covered. Maybe a big badger would do the trick.
Colnago C59 2011 with Super Record
Tommasini Rapido 2006 with Campagnolo Mirage/Centaur
Ridley X-Fire 2010 with Shimano Ultegra
hunting 1970's/1980's complete Campagnolo Tool set/box 8)

User avatar
canoas
Posts: 249
Joined: Wed Apr 29, 2009 19:25 pm

Re: Secure garden shed

Postby canoas » Fri Oct 18, 2013 22:00 pm

Bar Shaker wrote:These guys are pretty good and I have bought stuff from them in the past.

http://www.pjbsecurity.co.uk/

They do 'Sold Secure' products which meet insurance company requirements and prices include next day delivery.

Remember that sheds are very prone to condensation and your bike will be permanently damp in spring and autumn conditions.


Asguard provide condensation protection through gills on the sides, but certainly best bike will be staying in doors most of the time. Good site, thanks.
Colnago C59 2011 with Super Record
Tommasini Rapido 2006 with Campagnolo Mirage/Centaur
Ridley X-Fire 2010 with Shimano Ultegra
hunting 1970's/1980's complete Campagnolo Tool set/box 8)


Return to “Workshop”

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 1 guest