Yes
62%
No
38%

Total votes: 21

Buckles

Wheel building: aligning hub label with rim label

Postby Buckles » Thu Oct 17, 2013 12:11 pm

On the first set of wheels I've built in a long time, I forgot to align the hub label with the rim label. Now, the wheel is structurally fine, it's laterally and radially true, and the tension in all spokes is fairly even. But I just can't get over the fact that the wheel doesn't look right. It looks amateurish! I just can't bear to look at it! Should I dismantle and re-lace both wheels or not? Or should I just HTFU and ignore the aesthetic abomination?

MajorMantra

Re: Wheel building: aligning hub label with rim label

Postby MajorMantra » Thu Oct 17, 2013 12:14 pm

Tricky one, I feel your pain. If the wheel had been used for a while then re-lacing might expose spoke marks on the flanges. Probably such an issue if you've only just built it.

Btw if you start your lacing Schraner style with the 2 spokes either side of the valve hole, it's hard to forgot to line things up.

nicklouse
Lives Here

Postby nicklouse » Thu Oct 17, 2013 12:20 pm

Buckles wrote:On the first set of wheels I've built in a long time, I forgot to align the hub label with the rim label. Now, the wheel is structurally fine, it's laterally and radially true, and the tension in all spokes is fairly even. But I just can't get over the fact that the wheel doesn't look right. It looks amateurish! I just can't bear to look at it! Should I dismantle and re-lace both wheels or not? Or should I just HTFU and ignore the aesthetic abomination?

you align the hub logo with the rim logo? I do it so the hub logo and be see through the valve hole and is the correct way up when read from the front of the bike.

unless you use some cheap UK made hubs where the logo is the wrong way round.
"Do not follow where the path may lead, Go instead where there is no path, and Leave a Trail."
Parktools :?:SheldonBrown

MajorMantra

Postby MajorMantra » Thu Oct 17, 2013 12:23 pm

I assumed that was an error and he meant valve hole. Perhaps not?

The Mechanic

Postby The Mechanic » Thu Oct 17, 2013 12:24 pm

+1 ^^
I have only two things to say to that; Bo***cks

GiantMike

Postby GiantMike » Thu Oct 17, 2013 12:28 pm

Buckles wrote:But I just can't get over the fact that the wheel doesn't look right. It looks amateurish! I just can't bear to look at it! Should I dismantle and re-lace both wheels or not? Or should I just HTFU and ignore the aesthetic abomination?

Sounds like you've already decided that your OCD will beat your inherent laziness.
my power improvement experiment blog

Rule number 100: It's your bike and your money and your time; do what you like with it and ignore other peoples' rules. Except this one.

Buckles

Postby Buckles » Thu Oct 17, 2013 12:35 pm

nicklouse wrote: you align the hub logo with the rim logo? I do it so the hub logo and be see through the valve hole and is the correct way up when read from the front of the bike.

unless you use some cheap UK made hubs where the logo is the wrong way round.

I think it looks better, when looking down at the hub from the right hand side of the bike, that the hub logo and rim label are aligned.

MajorMantra

Postby MajorMantra » Thu Oct 17, 2013 12:42 pm

As someone who builds wheels I would always look for the hub logo to line up with the valve hole. If it is otherwise I'd assume it's amateurish anyway so don't bother rebuilding. :)

nicklouse
Lives Here

Postby nicklouse » Thu Oct 17, 2013 12:46 pm

+1^^
"Do not follow where the path may lead, Go instead where there is no path, and Leave a Trail."

Parktools :?:SheldonBrown

Buckles

Postby Buckles » Thu Oct 17, 2013 13:00 pm

Re: lining up the logo with the valves. It seems commonly accepted practice is to have the hub logo visible when looking through the valve hole. However, when a bike is displayed I think it looks better with the valves at the bottom of the wheel, sticking up. In which case the hub logos wouldn't be visible from above the bike! Surely this method is wrong.

MajorMantra

Postby MajorMantra » Thu Oct 17, 2013 13:03 pm

Years of tradition couldn't be wrong, could they? ;)

Slowbike

Postby Slowbike » Thu Oct 17, 2013 13:13 pm

If it's a label peel the label off and place it in the right place?

or ...

drill a new valve hole ...

you ppl are so amateurish! ;)

RRSODL

Postby RRSODL » Thu Oct 17, 2013 13:34 pm

Buckles wrote:On the first set of wheels I've built in a long time, I forgot to align the hub label with the rim label. Now, the wheel is structurally fine, it's laterally and radially true, and the tension in all spokes is fairly even. But I just can't get over the fact that the wheel doesn't look right. It looks amateurish! I just can't bear to look at it! Should I dismantle and re-lace both wheels or not? Or should I just HTFU and ignore the aesthetic abomination?

This reminds me something similar that happened to me with my first wheel. I counted three holes from the label but when the wheel was completed I found the label and valve hole did not align 100%. After people said it made no difference I left it like that.... for a while. It got to the point I couldn't take it any more so I re-built it after a month and this time the 4th hole was spot on :D

I'd say you have to do it for own your sanity although it makes absolutely no difference to the wheel.

smidsy

Postby smidsy » Thu Oct 17, 2013 13:47 pm

The fact that you are asking the question means you already know that it has to be done. In fact I will be surprised if you have not starting the strip down of said wheel by the time you read this.
Yellow is the new Black.

Buckles

Postby Buckles » Thu Oct 17, 2013 14:19 pm

RRSODL wrote:
This reminds me something similar that happened to me with my first wheel. I counted three holes from the label but when the wheel was completed I found the label and valve hole did not align 100%. After people said it made no difference I left it like that.... for a while. It got to the point I couldn't take it any more so I re-built it after a month and this time the 4th hole was spot on :D

I'd say you have to do it for own your sanity although it makes absolutely no difference to the wheel.

The total number of spokes and the number of crosses will determine how many holes to count from the label. There must be a table for reference on the web somewhere?

Obviously easy to work out for radially-spoked wheels ;-)

MajorMantra

Postby MajorMantra » Thu Oct 17, 2013 14:24 pm

Rather than counting either side of the logo, I always put both thumbs on the flange exposing a symmetrical number of holes either side of the logo, if that makes sense. That way I can be sure it will be centred.

3x is 8 holes with your starting spokes at positions 1 and 8. 2x is 6h, 1x 4h, radial 2h (obviously).

There is of course no wrong method, as long as the end result is a logo aligned with a valve hole. :D

ugo.santalucia

Postby ugo.santalucia » Thu Oct 17, 2013 14:51 pm

I normally try to align the logo with the valve hole, but I am aware is a complete waste of time and I have seen wheels made by the most reputable builders in the country where the logo was random... so don't waste your time over such a triviality... unless you have got nothing better to do... which is probably the answer, really... :wink:

smidsy

Postby smidsy » Thu Oct 17, 2013 15:02 pm

I am shocked and appalled at your frankly shoddy attitude ugo :-)
Yellow is the new Black.

ugo.santalucia

Postby ugo.santalucia » Thu Oct 17, 2013 15:06 pm

smidsy wrote:I am shocked and appalled at your frankly shoddy attitude ugo :-)

BTW, I was wrong about the seatpost collar, I think you need a 29.8 one and not a 28.6, but check it, always best

smidsy

Postby smidsy » Thu Oct 17, 2013 15:11 pm

ugo.santalucia wrote:
smidsy wrote:I am shocked and appalled at your frankly shoddy attitude ugo :-)

BTW, I was wrong about the seatpost collar, I think you need a 29.8 one and not a 28.6, but check it, always best

Noted, thanks ugo.

Probably going to strip the frame and have it 'obviously steel' 8)
Yellow is the new Black.

Return to “Road General”