Orange Hate

Got a general MTB question that doesn't fit anywhere else? Here's the place.
User avatar
Escher303
Posts: 258
Joined: Mon Jan 16, 2012 21:26 pm

Orange Hate

Postby Escher303 » Fri Oct 18, 2013 14:33 pm

When I first got a mountain bike Orange were the dog's danglies and I loved my Clockwork c. 1993. I see comments all the time slating Orange these days. Why is that? Is it just fashionable to slag them off because they are/were so popular or are their bikes really that bad now? When did they stop being good and why? Victims of their own success?

Some people are snooty about Giant, Trek and Specialized but on the whole they make good bikes, is that not the case with Orange anymore?

User avatar
nicklouse
Lives Here
Posts: 80713
Joined: Thu Mar 20, 2003 12:14 pm

Re: Orange Hate

Postby nicklouse » Fri Oct 18, 2013 14:36 pm

generally they are too expensive.

you can get better bikes for less.

their owners keep on going on about how they are so good.
"Do not follow where the path may lead, Go instead where there is no path, and Leave a Trail."
Parktools :?:SheldonBrown

cubedean
Posts: 566
Joined: Sat Jun 16, 2012 15:50 pm

Re: Orange Hate

Postby cubedean » Fri Oct 18, 2013 14:37 pm

I think its more so the owners than the bikes. I would love an orange....but for the money I couldn't justify it.

RockmonkeySC
Posts: 12902
Joined: Thu Mar 25, 2010 17:40 pm

Re: Orange Hate

Postby RockmonkeySC » Fri Oct 18, 2013 14:52 pm

Far too expensive and out dated designs.

Kajjal
Posts: 2655
Joined: Tue Aug 27, 2013 16:37 pm

Re: Orange Hate

Postby Kajjal » Fri Oct 18, 2013 15:11 pm

My 1996 orange c16r is a great XC bike and was the last one you could choose the groupset on. Rode it for many years in the wilds and it performed really well. Only this year I replaced it with a new bike. I have not ridden any recent Orange bikes so it is hard to comment.

Some people see value for money mainly in the spec of bike in at a given price range. By this measure big brand bikes can seem more expensive. A more pragmatic view is to judge a bike by how it rides rather than its spec alone which is how I bought my Carve Comp after a test ride. Other better spec'ed bikes and similar spec'ed bikes in the same price range did not feel as good to me. Also Specialized has a good warranty reputation and dealer network backup.

The key thing is to get the right bike for you ;)

User avatar
prawny
Posts: 4979
Joined: Wed Nov 26, 2008 21:10 pm

Re: Orange Hate

Postby prawny » Fri Oct 18, 2013 15:15 pm

They are the iphone of bikes. You can do better for a lot less money and they have an almost religious following. They are also the default choice for fat rich types.

I'd love one. But I'm neither rich or particularly fat. So I'll make do with my value brands for now, and try one out when I'm 40ish.
Saracen Dirttrax Disc
Saracen Tenet 3 - 2015
Voodoo Bizango - 2014

User avatar
Daz555
Posts: 3931
Joined: Mon Aug 11, 2008 14:59 pm

Re: Orange Hate

Postby Daz555 » Fri Oct 18, 2013 15:22 pm

The bikes are ugly. Owners are a mixed bag.
You only need two tools: WD40 and Duck Tape.
If it doesn't move and should, use the WD40.
If it shouldn't move and does, use the tape.

RockmonkeySC
Posts: 12902
Joined: Thu Mar 25, 2010 17:40 pm

Re: Orange Hate

Postby RockmonkeySC » Fri Oct 18, 2013 15:34 pm

Even compared to Specialized, Giant, Trek etc Orange are poor value.
Their downhill bike is a very outdated design and even though its aluminium it's almost as expensive as a carbon santa cruz v10 and more than a carbon Evil undead and over a grand more than anything similar and thats as a frame only. Full builds are even worse value.

POAH
Posts: 2722
Joined: Wed Jul 10, 2013 21:18 pm

Re: Orange Hate

Postby POAH » Fri Oct 18, 2013 16:23 pm

overpriced fashion accessories for the middle aged man

just like other consumer items people pay for a name.

I've had two orange bikes - a C16R and an X2. at the time I wanted the orange because it was a local shop, wasn't too bad value and had cult appeal. I could also spec the full groupset which you couldn't on other makes.

no way I would buy one now at their prices.

Orange are not the only overprices bike out there though.
Last edited by POAH on Fri Oct 18, 2013 16:24 pm, edited 1 time in total.

User avatar
Pesky Jones
Posts: 2937
Joined: Wed Aug 22, 2012 09:43 am

Re: Orange Hate

Postby Pesky Jones » Fri Oct 18, 2013 16:23 pm

RockmonkeySC wrote:Their downhill bike is a very outdated design.


Everything else you say I agree with, but it does get me when people say this. It annoys me because, a) if it isn't broken - don't fix it, and b) People do, and don't tell me they don't, believe that gazillion pivot suspension systems are better, simply because they've been told they are? Can you tell me why multiple pivots and bar linkages or whatever are better then a single pivot? In practical terms as well, not in treks/giant/spesh words

POAH
Posts: 2722
Joined: Wed Jul 10, 2013 21:18 pm

Re: Orange Hate

Postby POAH » Fri Oct 18, 2013 16:25 pm

Pesky Jones wrote:
RockmonkeySC wrote:Their downhill bike is a very outdated design.


Everything else you say I agree with, but it does get me when people say this. It annoys me because, a) if it isn't broken - don't fix it, and b) People do, and don't tell me they don't, believe that gazillion pivot suspension systems are better, simply because they've been told they are? Can you tell me why multiple pivots and bar linkages or whatever are better then a single pivot? In practical terms as well, not in treks/giant/spesh words



I don't get the outdated design comment either since the horst link is old too lol

they all have their pros and cons, no one system is best.

ilovedirt
Posts: 5664
Joined: Thu Mar 16, 2006 22:02 pm

Re: Orange Hate

Postby ilovedirt » Fri Oct 18, 2013 16:58 pm

Pesky Jones wrote:
RockmonkeySC wrote:Their downhill bike is a very outdated design.


Everything else you say I agree with, but it does get me when people say this. It annoys me because, a) if it isn't broken - don't fix it, and b) People do, and don't tell me they don't, believe that gazillion pivot suspension systems are better, simply because they've been told they are? Can you tell me why multiple pivots and bar linkages or whatever are better then a single pivot? In practical terms as well, not in treks/giant/spesh words

Yeah, the design isn't outdated if it still works and rides well, which reportedly it did. However the amount they were charging for it given that there are very few complicated bits on it (and the fact that it took them forever to develop it when all they did was move the pivot a bit) was ridiculous. It's been discontinued now anyway.

I think the alpine 160 represents much better value, I really fancy one. It might 'only' be a single pivot, but if it rides well then what's the issue? Ppt he geometry looks spot on and it would make a good workhorse bike if it doesn't crack, given that there's only one pivot to maintain.
Saracen Ariel 151

B'Twin Triban 5

User avatar
Mojo_666
Posts: 840
Joined: Wed May 25, 2011 15:05 pm

Re: Orange Hate

Postby Mojo_666 » Fri Oct 18, 2013 18:15 pm

I really like them TBH, I have never owned one and probably won't because they are shoot value for money but I do like them, I want a crush right now but won't buy one.

adamfo
Posts: 755
Joined: Tue Dec 18, 2012 22:38 pm

Re: Orange Hate

Postby adamfo » Fri Oct 18, 2013 18:25 pm

I've been riding road bikes all my life but only really became interested in MTB designs last year. Had a look at the various company websites and must admit I dismissed Orange within minutes without ever having seen one, ridden one or looked at the price list !

Ended up buying one of these. Cheaper, better component spec. refined Horst linkage and with some interesting engineering. The top tube for example, which has no welds on the upper rear stay and is a complex hydroformed shape.

Image

Will Orange go the same way as TVR ? They don't seem to export much. Dangerous to be to reliant on one market and perhaps niche appeal.
Last edited by adamfo on Fri Oct 18, 2013 19:05 pm, edited 2 times in total.

RockmonkeySC
Posts: 12902
Joined: Thu Mar 25, 2010 17:40 pm

Re: Orange Hate

Postby RockmonkeySC » Fri Oct 18, 2013 18:33 pm

Pesky Jones wrote:
RockmonkeySC wrote:Their downhill bike is a very outdated design.


Everything else you say I agree with, but it does get me when people say this. It annoys me because, a) if it isn't broken - don't fix it, and b) People do, and don't tell me they don't, believe that gazillion pivot suspension systems are better, simply because they've been told they are? Can you tell me why multiple pivots and bar linkages or whatever are better then a single pivot? In practical terms as well, not in treks/giant/spesh words


Nothing wrong with single pivots. My Nukeproof has a single pivot and it's the best bike I have ever ridden. The problems with Orange's rear suspension are that it pedals really badly and the pedal feedback is terrible, first time I tried a 322 I couldn't believe that a modern £5000 bike would kick back through the cranks like that.
There must have been something wrong because Orange have stopped making dh bikes now.

User avatar
stubs
Posts: 5051
Joined: Sat Jan 27, 2007 19:55 pm

Re: Orange Hate

Postby stubs » Fri Oct 18, 2013 19:28 pm

Nothing wrong with the hardtails I would happily have one but the F/S bikes again nothing wrong with them they just look grim and some of the welding jeez it must have been done by a blind man on a trampoline.
Fig rolls: proof that god loves cyclists and that she wants us to do another lap

User avatar
Kowalski675
Posts: 4464
Joined: Sun Apr 28, 2013 17:28 pm

Re: Orange Hate

Postby Kowalski675 » Fri Oct 18, 2013 19:41 pm

nicklouse wrote:their owners keep on going on about how they are so good.


Probably trying to convince themselves...

RockmonkeySC
Posts: 12902
Joined: Thu Mar 25, 2010 17:40 pm

Re: Orange Hate

Postby RockmonkeySC » Fri Oct 18, 2013 20:07 pm

stubs wrote:Nothing wrong with the hardtails I would happily have one but the F/S bikes again nothing wrong with them they just look grim and some of the welding jeez it must have been done by a blind man on a trampoline.


Their factory uses the same welders and presses I used as an apprentice sheet metal fabricator. Its not high tech kit.

Davie mac
Posts: 37
Joined: Thu Jul 01, 2010 09:54 am

Re: Orange Hate

Postby Davie mac » Fri Oct 18, 2013 21:55 pm

I love the orange patriot don't know why anybody would slate it,i work hard and don't spending a bit more for a bike that pleases me and meets my needs,think it may be a jealousy type thing cause most people have got big bills ect and have had to scrape the money up for their kona,live and let live :lol:

Northwind
Posts: 15194
Joined: Sat Sep 06, 2008 18:53 pm

Re: Orange Hate

Postby Northwind » Fri Oct 18, 2013 23:04 pm

It's not the bikes, it's the owners. They're all *****, every last one of them.

And the price. Mine cost me under £500 used and at that price, the build quality's acceptable but it'd have been £2300 frame. £2300! For something welded by the work experience kid then painted in the dark. It rides well but despite the frame being the 4th version of a design they'd been making for the best part of a decade it still has glaring flaws- wheel fouls the frame at full travel, shock fouls the frame at some of the adjustment points, the suspension goes falling rate in the bottom end of the travel, and the headset gussets are too thin so they all bend without exception. Mine is a bit unusual in that it's still got the same number of welds it left the factory with. (you can usually tell the repair welds on an Orange, they'll be the tidy ones)

Still, I likes it. For £500.
Uncompromising extremist


Return to “MTB General”

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 1 guest