Rubino Pro - lacking in grip?

What bike and bike bits should you buy?
proto

Rubino Pro - lacking in grip?

Postby proto » Sun Dec 01, 2013 09:52 am

Needing some winter/commuter tyres I bought a pair of these tyres, 25mm folding, treaded, not slick, but first impressions are they ars very poor in terms of grip. Initially had them at 120psi and it felt like I was riding on marbles. Dropped the pressure mid ride, guessing to 100 or so, and they seemed better, but on a climb yesterday my back wheel was slipping when out of the saddle, something I've never experienced with other tyres (I usually use GP4000S @120psi).

Is it just me? Anyone else have much experience of Rubino Pros?

Nairnster

Re: Rubino Pro - lacking in grip?

Postby Nairnster » Sun Dec 01, 2013 09:58 am

Never had any issues with them and have always been normal go to tyre.

I have just bought some 23mm gp 4000 and can't use then as they don't fit without rubbing. Can I ask you how you find the Rubino measure up in size compared to the 4000s?

Were you stomping a big gear?

bobinski

Postby bobinski » Sun Dec 01, 2013 10:16 am

Running my rubino pros for about 2 years and found them to be fast and durable, about 3500 miles out of them so far. Never had a problem with grip when its wet BUT a mix of wet and leaves will someotimes result in wheel slip going up hill. I tend to deal with this by staying sat in the saddle. I am not sure rubino pros are worse in such conditions than any other tyre. I recall having to apply the same technique when running Ultremos-difference is the flimsy sidewalls(ime) were not durable enough.

brownbosh

Postby brownbosh » Sun Dec 01, 2013 12:45 pm

If i'm skint I buy rubino pro 3's. Excellent tyre for the money and a good compromise of durability and grip. As you rightly stated pressure has a huge influence. Possibility you have had an awesome increase in gun power since last climbing in the wet???

ugo.santalucia

Postby ugo.santalucia » Sun Dec 01, 2013 14:49 pm

Rubber with good grip in the cold is expensive and generally is not used in cheap moulds like Rubino and the likes. Vittoria Pave' have a grippier compound for the cold, but it wears quicker, of course

Bozman

Postby Bozman » Sun Dec 01, 2013 14:53 pm

I used them for a lot of last winter and never really had an issue, I do find that Vittoria tyres need scrubbing in though and if you don't they're mare in the wet.

elderone

Postby elderone » Sun Dec 01, 2013 15:36 pm

I run these all year on my training/winter bikes and not had an issue. For the price they are a very good all rounder.
Dulce et decorum est Pro patria mori

GGBiker

Postby GGBiker » Sun Dec 01, 2013 16:53 pm

It's a scrubbing in issue, had the same last winter for 200 miles then they were great. Some people recommend a rub down with sandpaper to break them in

rickeverett

Postby rickeverett » Sun Dec 01, 2013 19:56 pm

I went to gp4000's after lots of slips with Rubino Pros. They also loose corner grip badly too. Like you said, I had issues with hill climbs and slipping.. Especially if the road was damp.

Had two sets of these tyres too and both were the same.

Not only did they have poor grip unless the road is Italian style dry, they also cracked up quickly IMO.

So yeah for me the gp4000s have been a eye opener and are doing really well in the damp. Have had no slips in the wet and crap.

Bozman

Postby Bozman » Sun Dec 01, 2013 21:19 pm

The only place that I had an issue was with wheel spin on steep climbs.
I use them on my turbo now and they just don't wear out, there's an endless fine spray of rubber behind the wheel but they're still fine where others would have failed hours ago. Hard compound?

proto

Postby proto » Mon Dec 02, 2013 13:58 pm

Thanks all.

Hoping it is in a scrubbing in issue, but I'm not convinced. I'd used Rubinos only once before, eight years or so ago, and they too suffered from cracking, thought it was just circumstance (bike used to live outside) so didn't take a lot of notice, but maybe it's a feature of them. Maybe they are just harder than everything else I've been using. I'll keep going with them for a while and see how I get on.

Anyone care to recommend tyre pressures? Not too bothered about comfort, more concerned with avoiding the p***ture fairy and staying upright.

trek_dan

Postby trek_dan » Mon Dec 02, 2013 14:02 pm

There is a good app on the Vittoria website where you put in your weight, tyre type and it'll tell you a recommended pressure. Always a good starting point. Never had an issue with my Rubino's for the record, always found them good enough, I've got the cheap £7.99 Rubino 2's on my winter bike and they have been fine.

BigMat

Postby BigMat » Mon Dec 02, 2013 14:07 pm

I find Vittoria tyres pretty poor for grip particularly in wet. Only run Diamante, Rubino and Rubino Pro though, so can't comment on the Corsas, Paves etc.

Rubino are particularly bad, I regularly lost the front end last winter, managed it a couple of times coasting along in a straight line. The Rubino Pros seem better but don't inspire massive confidence - good enough for commuting / training though and the price / durability makes up for it. Just back off a little bit more in corners and you should be fine. 120PSI is on the high side I reckon (whatever Vittoria recommend). I tend to run mine at around 100PSI, higher than that and they became really skittish in the wet. I'm 83kg at the moment so pretty heavy for a cyclist and have had no issues with punctures at that pressure (apart from when I smacked a pothole at 35mph in the dark, but that would have taken out most wheels!).

cheers drive

Postby cheers drive » Mon Dec 02, 2013 18:07 pm

I've put some 28 Rubino pros on my winter a few weeks back and have lost the back end a few times when cornering on damp roads. 90psi at the back 80psi at front. I had no issues with my krylion carbons before but couldn't find their replacements the pro 4 endurance in 28c.
I think I'll stick with them for now as it's flat around here but if I was descending often I'd get shot.

andy_wrx

Postby andy_wrx » Thu Dec 05, 2013 13:35 pm

I love Rubino Pros.

I had some of the highly-regarded Conti GP4Seasons and thought they were cr*p, dreadful wet-weather grip and wooden, punctured easily, difficullt to get on and off

Replaced them with Rubinos

I've even used the mega-cheap Zafiros happily - althought the wire-beaded Zafiros in red were better-gripping than the folding Zafiro Pros in blue

Rolf F

Postby Rolf F » Thu Dec 05, 2013 15:51 pm

I've just started using Rubino Pro Slicks after I got fed up of unravelling bits of carcasse cord from my Durano S tyres. I have to admit I suspect that they do not grip as well as the Duranos and I've done a fair distance on them already. I have a feeling I won't be getting another pair but I'll give them a bit more time - I'd rather have bits of string coming off the carcasse and good grip than the alternative!

I'm light and run them at 100psi when I've remembered to keep them topped up which maybe too high but I've had at least 3 pinch punctures off them already so reluctant to reduce pressure further.
Faster than a tent.......

gabriel959

Postby gabriel959 » Thu Dec 05, 2013 16:34 pm

The Rubino Pro's haven't got amazing levels of grip in the wet but there is an easy solution, get the Rubino Pro Tech version. They grip really well in the wet and are really worth the extra.
x-x-x-x-x-x-x-x
Giant SCR 2 - FCN 2
All-City Macho Man Disc - FCN 2
Cannondale SuperSix Ultegra - FCN 2

DeVlaeminck

Postby DeVlaeminck » Thu Dec 05, 2013 17:37 pm

They may well have changed the compound since but Rubino Pro Slicks are the only tyre I've binned because I thought they were dangerous rather than worn out. Going back a few years but they would slide out very easily to the extent I even stopped a couple of times just to check I didn't have a slow puncture and soft tyre.
sign for Mickleover Sports FC U14 girls

rickeverett

Postby rickeverett » Thu Dec 05, 2013 17:43 pm

My Rubino Pros were the 2012/13 version with white stripes. Crap in the wet, uncomfortable too.

Changed to 4000s and they glide over rough roads and are miles better in grip and rolling. It was a very noticeable upgrade compared to a lot of things.

PeteMadoc

Postby PeteMadoc » Thu Dec 05, 2013 18:17 pm

I've switched to rubino pros this winter, I was under the impression that they are a staple big mileage commuter tyre.

I have to say the grip is shocking. Not leaning in too much going round corners I can easily make the back wheel slide out. I'll be looking for something else next.

Return to “Road Buying Advice”