Puncture resistant but grippy tyres for road racing

Talk about your races - Time Trials, Road Races or Cyclocross.
Buckles

Puncture resistant but grippy tyres for road racing

Postby Buckles » Sat Dec 14, 2013 23:44 pm

Not going to be racing any time soon due to long term injury, however, when you get two punctures in three seasons it feels a lot worse than it sounds, especially when you're stood at the side of the road after having burnt 75 miles worth of petrol you've left your spare inner tube in the car which is parked at the HQ about 10 miles away and the neutral service car has driven past because they didn't spot you because despite holding your hand up in the air for a few seconds and shouting 'PUNCTURE' you were unable to flag them down and get a spare wheel because your eyes started stinging as soon as you stopped moving. Anyway, so I reckon I've punctured in more than 5% of road races I've ridden. That's way too much. I'm after a tyre I can use on the road, that has plenty of grip on wet or dry road, but I just don't want any more punctures. Don't care about weight or longevity, just grip and puncture resistance. Have searched forums and by the looks of it you can have EITHER a grippy, lightweight tyre with minimal puncture resistance, OR a very puncture resistant tyre with durable tread that's not as grippy as a pure race tyre. Currently using Schwalbe UltremoZX HD for racing and Bontrager Race Lite Hard Case for training. Something with Ultremo-like grip but Bontrager-like punctureproofness would be great. Kindly point me in the right direction.

meursault

Re: Puncture resistant but grippy tyres for road racing

Postby meursault » Sun Dec 15, 2013 00:12 am

Conti 4 season?

Just guessing, as I have never been near to racing in my life.
Superstition sets the whole world in flames; philosophy quenches them.

Voltaire

maryka

Postby maryka » Sun Dec 15, 2013 08:07 am

Don't think there is such a thing.

The very compounds that make tires puncture-resistant also make them fairly slippy imo. Some are really bad (Conti Gatorskins) some not so bad (Conti GP 4000). Utremos and Michelin ProRaces are nice and grippy but they cut up pretty easily.

Personally I ride Pro Race 3 or 4 on all my road bikes, all season, all weather, all purposes. But I religiously check my tires before every ride and pick out all bits of stone, flint, etc. And I don't weigh much and I "ride light", inflating them to 90-100psi. Not sure you have the option that I have, but you can probably be better about checking tires for crap before rides/races. Most people don't do that very well.

owenlars

Postby owenlars » Sun Dec 15, 2013 10:48 am

Have a look through this lot as you are already a Schwalbe user.

http://www.schwalbe.co.uk/road-race/

Buckles

Postby Buckles » Sun Dec 15, 2013 12:39 pm

owenlars wrote:Have a look through this lot as you are already a Schwalbe user.

I have already considered the Ultremo DD, but was looking for recommendations from people who have actually used a particular tyre.

Just remembered I've actually had three punctures; two rear tyre pinch flats after hitting pot holes I could have avoided or absorbed the impact better. The third was in the front which deflated slowly, suggesting glass / flint / thorn, but in that particular race half the field punctured anyway...

MajorMantra

Postby MajorMantra » Sun Dec 15, 2013 12:46 pm

GP4000S seems have a good grip/protection trade-off. They aren't as supple as posh Italian tissue paper tyres but they ride far better than hosepipes like the Gatorskin.

Any tyre will pinch flat though, and if you exclude those 2 instances then haven't you only had one foreign object type puncture? It happens!

thecycleclinic

Postby thecycleclinic » Sun Dec 15, 2013 15:42 pm

Gator skins maybe be hose pipes and the hardshell version which I am currently using are worse but at least they are tough. I have got tired of 4 season being slashed/holed by the crap on the roads in suffolk.

Other upside though 23mm 4000s tyres mounted on 25mm wide rim come up at 26mm and give a ride quality approching that of a vittoria Pave tub. So that is my choice.
http://www.thecycleclinic.co.uk -wheel building and other stuff.

ShockedSoShocked

Postby ShockedSoShocked » Mon Dec 16, 2013 14:10 pm

The Conti GP4000s are pretty good. Rode some nasty crits in the pissing rain and never had an issue. Only puncture I've gotten on the was a huge cut in the tyre. Don't know what I'd ran over but I don't think any other tyre would have survived anyway.
"A cyclist has nothing to lose but his chain"

PTP Runner Up 2015

okgo

Postby okgo » Mon Dec 16, 2013 15:43 pm

GP4000S for me.

I rode a race in which literally 70% of the field punctured (a race that involved some off road!) and I was fine on them. The only flat I've had in two seasons of racing most weekends is through a pinch flat.
Blog on my first and now second season of proper riding/racing - www.firstseasonracing.com

Tom Dean

Postby Tom Dean » Mon Dec 16, 2013 21:17 pm

The extra strength of GP4Seasons far is well worth the minimal extra weight compared to 4000S's IMO. They don't feel quite as good but who is buying Contis for the feel?

But,
Buckles wrote:Just remembered I've actually had three punctures; two rear tyre pinch flats after hitting pot holes I could have avoided or absorbed the impact better. The third was in the front which deflated slowly, suggesting glass / flint / thorn, but in that particular race half the field punctured anyway...
...it doesn't sound like you actually have a problem with your tyres.

Buckles

Postby Buckles » Mon Dec 16, 2013 21:42 pm

I know, rational thought says it's just down to chance

But it is a serious pain in the behind when it happens. The possibility of it happening again is always in the back of my mind... I'd feel a lot less worry if I had a tyre I knew was less likely to puncture
Signatures. Pointless additions to otherwise perfectly fine message boards.

sub55

Postby sub55 » Mon Dec 16, 2013 23:00 pm

TUBS
constantly reavalueating the situation and altering the perceived parameters accordingly

DeVlaeminck

Postby DeVlaeminck » Tue Dec 17, 2013 09:56 am

Always ridden ProRace or Vittoria OpenCorsa CX and never punctured in a race but using them elsewhere the ProRace are definitely more puncture resistant but obviously as a race tyre they aren't going to be the toughest.

If you want to go further then 4 seasons are meant to be good, I know a first cat who swore by these, riding longer races he argued punctures were more likely and as he was having to travel further to races like you he didn't want to DNF due to a puncture. I think there is an endurance version of the ProRace that might do a similar job - it's a replacement for the Michelin Krylion which I found to be pretty tough as a sort of fast summer training tyre.
sign for Mickleover Sports FC U14 girls

racingcondor

Postby racingcondor » Tue Dec 17, 2013 13:01 pm

GP4000S or Pro4 should be more than enough to survive road racing.

Since you seem to have problems pinch flatting though you might want to look a 25mm on the rear with just enough pressure in it that you stop pinch flats (or 10psi more in your current tyres).

It's also worth asking yourself if you spend a lot of the time racing in the gutter, if you do you'll raise your chance of hitting a pothole and it's more likely that you'll pick up sharp things from the side of the road. There is some truth in people saying 'tyres don't punchture, people do', what you need to do is find the tyre that's durable enough for how you ride.

Buckles

Postby Buckles » Tue Dec 17, 2013 14:15 pm

Indeed, I always try to stay to the right now and have never had a puncture when doing so
Signatures. Pointless additions to otherwise perfectly fine message boards.

ju5t1n

Postby ju5t1n » Tue Dec 17, 2013 17:12 pm

For the last few years I've used Vittoria CX, Michelin Pro Race and Conti GP 4000s and found the Vittorias give the nicest ride, the Pro Race have the best grip and the GP4000s last the longest.

But I was reading in a US cycling mag about the new Spesh 2014 S-Works Turbo 24mm – the reviewer was raving about them so I'm going to ggive them ago.

http://www.slowtwitch.com/Products/Thin ... _3982.html

Has anyone here tried them?

oldhairylegs

Postby oldhairylegs » Tue Dec 17, 2013 18:31 pm

okgo wrote:GP4000S for me.

I rode a race in which literally 70% of the field punctured (a race that involved some off road!) and I was fine on them. The only flat I've had in two seasons of racing most weekends is through a pinch flat.

^This.

GP4000S give an excellent combination of good grip (esp in the wet), pretty low rolling resistance and decent puncture protection.

Bet that race was the Surrey League thrash round Parham Park in August?
Great course for a race, but when it's wet, it sure is a massive puncture fest!

ALIHISGREAT

Postby ALIHISGREAT » Tue Dec 17, 2013 18:42 pm

I use GP4000s most of the year....

okgo

Postby okgo » Tue Dec 17, 2013 20:16 pm

Yes it was parham park :)
Blog on my first and now second season of proper riding/racing - www.firstseasonracing.com

DiscoBoy

Postby DiscoBoy » Wed Dec 18, 2013 20:07 pm

Buckles wrote:
owenlars wrote:Have a look through this lot as you are already a Schwalbe user.

I have already considered the Ultremo DD, but was looking for recommendations from people who have actually used a particular tyre.

Just remembered I've actually had three punctures; two rear tyre pinch flats after hitting pot holes I could have avoided or absorbed the impact better. The third was in the front which deflated slowly, suggesting glass / flint / thorn, but in that particular race half the field punctured anyway...

Tubular a or latex tyres. Job jobbed.
Red bikes are the fastest.

Return to “Amateur Race”