Identification Required Please...

General bike chat that does not fit elsewhere
VmanF3

Identification Required Please...

Postby VmanF3 » Thu Jan 02, 2014 23:51 pm

Firstly, may I apologise for the shocking picture, I work on a ship - space is tight! Another apology for the vehicle in the picture not conforming to 'The Rules'.

I'm trying to identify this bike I purchased in Barcelona - it's around 2000/2001. It has AluSL on the top tube, with Pro World Racing Series along the top. Carbon Lapierre forks, Campag gears, (Daytona) Campag Brakes and Shimano Ultegra Crank. ITM Bars, Ritchie Stem, Mavic Cosmos wheels. Any ideas or thoughts? It looks remarkably like the FDJeux team bikes (apart from a few graphics) from 2003. It has a sticker about conforming with some rules 2001. I would really appreciate some help, as it's a cracker of a bike to ride and I'm really pleased with it, but would just like to know more about it.

Thanks in advance...
Big Red, Blue, Pete, Bill & Doug

Iamnot Wiggins

Re: Identification Required Please...

Postby Iamnot Wiggins » Fri Jan 03, 2014 09:39 am

LaPierre AluSL by any chance?

Ben6899

Postby Ben6899 » Fri Jan 03, 2014 10:23 am

Easiest University Challenge picture round... EVER!
Ben

Bikes: Starley JKS R1 | Gios Megalite | Dolan Preffisio | Giant Bowery '76
Islington CC: http://www.islington.cc

Kingstonian

Postby Kingstonian » Fri Jan 03, 2014 13:54 pm

At least we know you will have nice shiny teeth, with that tube of Colgate in the background......

VmanF3

Postby VmanF3 » Fri Jan 03, 2014 14:02 pm

I realize that's probably the name of it, but with pish poor internet connection I cannot research anything about it. I was wondering if anyone had any info on them? Decent machine, price point? I assume this is a bit of a mishmash of parts now....is it worth bringing home with me, or are they two a penny and should I just leave it at the airport and spend the excess baggage charge on a something else!

I do appreciate the help...

Ben6899

Postby Ben6899 » Fri Jan 03, 2014 14:05 pm

How does it ride?
Ben

Bikes: Starley JKS R1 | Gios Megalite | Dolan Preffisio | Giant Bowery '76
Islington CC: http://www.islington.cc

VmanF3

Postby VmanF3 » Fri Jan 03, 2014 14:18 pm

Ben6899 wrote:How does it ride?

Rides ok, just seems a great little bike that would be good to keep as a spare. Climbs ok, pretty light. Feels like a short wheel base, but I've nothing to compare it to on here. Brakes are the opposite way round to what I'm used to as well.

I bought it for 300 euros and it will cost me about 150 dollars to pay the extra back.

Curious to it's original point in the brand at the time - bog standard or was it fair to middlin'?

It has a reasonable name on it for Brand Whorage, but in reality is it worth just buying a cheapo BTWin from Decathlon for 400 quid rather than give myself the hassle of striping it down to ship home with me...

VmanF3

Postby VmanF3 » Thu Mar 13, 2014 19:48 pm

Shameless 'bump' but since I've been back in the uk, I still cannot find much about these bikes - I found a couple for sale in France, with limited information. Even had a very vague reply from Lapierre, which didn't shed much light on things...

So, one last time before I let this run off into the mists of time....

I know it's an Alu-Sl. Just don't know much more. I'm assuming it's a bit of a 'Frankenbike' now.....

Looking forward to getting back onboard to ride the wee beasty again!

Anyone?

VmanF3

Postby VmanF3 » Thu Mar 13, 2014 19:55 pm

Apologies for the pedals....they'll be the first thing to go when I get back....

ddraver

Postby ddraver » Fri Mar 14, 2014 10:57 am

I'm really rather struggling to understand what you want to know to be honest...
We're in danger of confusing passion with incompetence
- @ddraver
- Blog-http://davekio.wordpress.com/

rayjay

Postby rayjay » Fri Mar 14, 2014 13:03 pm

2003 Baden Cooke's bike, [scandium]...could not find anything that looks like your bike, i.e. same paint job.

VmanF3

Postby VmanF3 » Fri Mar 14, 2014 13:33 pm

ddraver wrote:I'm really rather struggling to understand what you want to know to be honest...

Original place in product range/ original spec / original cost reviews even! Just a bit more than I already do know. The photo of the FDJ bike above is also the only other one(bar one for sale in France) that I've seen.

MountainMonster

Postby MountainMonster » Fri Mar 14, 2014 13:41 pm

If you bought it cheap and enjoy the bike, keep it. If you don't enjoy it, ditch it. Who cares what its value is?

ddraver

Postby ddraver » Fri Mar 14, 2014 13:53 pm

i think you re best bet may be to find out at what level Campag Daytona was specced. Not sure anything else will tell you much, plus as you say it looks like its been used adn upgraded quite a bit
- @ddraver

VmanF3

Postby VmanF3 » Fri Mar 14, 2014 15:23 pm

MountainMonster wrote:If you bought it cheap and enjoy the bike, keep it. If you don't enjoy it, ditch it. Who cares what its value is?

I take your point, I'm just curious though.

triboy222

Postby triboy222 » Fri Mar 14, 2014 15:29 pm

Looks a bit like the Scott aluminium scandium bikes that one team used about that time. AFD was it?

VmanF3

Postby VmanF3 » Fri Mar 14, 2014 15:51 pm

definitely LaPierre, and the precursor to the FDJ bikes from 2003, same frame essentially with different graphics. One of the reasons I'm curious about it, is that if that's the case (which Lapierre confirmed in their very vague email), then it must have been a pretty reasonable bike in its day, especially if TDF teams were using them.

I could not believe Lapierre could not supply details from the frame number from only 13 years ago!

ddraver

Postby ddraver » Fri Mar 14, 2014 17:04 pm

In fairness to LaPierre almost no one else is interested in this stuff...I'm still not really sure why you are. if you ve been had, what can you do about it?
- @ddraver

VmanF3

Postby VmanF3 » Fri Mar 14, 2014 17:38 pm

ddraver wrote:In fairness to LaPierre almost no one else is interested in this stuff...I'm still not really sure why you are. if you ve been had, what can you do about it?

Are you on drugs? I'm just interested to find out a bit more about a bike I own - wtf is wrong with that? I have never thought I've been had?! Curiosity, that's it! Apologies if you don't give a sh1t about things you own. Jesus - this is a cycling forum isn't it?

What a curious response.

ugo.santalucia

Postby ugo.santalucia » Fri Mar 14, 2014 17:46 pm

VmanF3 wrote:
ddraver wrote:In fairness to LaPierre almost no one else is interested in this stuff...I'm still not really sure why you are. if you ve been had, what can you do about it?

Are you on drugs? I'm just interested to find out a bit more about a bike I own - wtf is wrong with that? I have never thought I've been had?! Curiosity, that's it! Apologies if you don't give a sh1t about things you own. Jesus - this is a cycling forum isn't it?

What a curious response.

I would send you a warning for your langauge, but to be honest your answer is fair enough... :wink:

Let's remember for the future huh?

Return to “Road General”