New ASO stage race for Yorkshire

Talk about competitive road cycling in all its forms
Richmond Racer

New ASO stage race for Yorkshire

Postby Richmond Racer » Thu Jan 09, 2014 16:26 pm

Aye oop

'The Tour de France organisers are set to establish a long-term presence on British soil with the founding of a three-day stage race in Yorkshire set to be run in May 2015 on the back of this year's Tour start'

http://www.theguardian.com/sport/2014/j ... ce-success

will get an HC ranking

No wonder Gary Verity learned French :wink:

RichN95

Re: New ASO stage race for Yorkshire

Postby RichN95 » Thu Jan 09, 2014 16:38 pm

That's sounds promising. I think short three day races like that may be the future for cycling rather than the week long ones.
Twitter: @RichN95

MartinGT

Postby MartinGT » Thu Jan 09, 2014 16:49 pm

Great stuff, will this mean the races that got cancelled in East Yorkshire last season due to Police withdrawing from them will go ahead this year?...... :roll:

Richmond Racer

Postby Richmond Racer » Thu Jan 09, 2014 16:51 pm

RichN95 wrote:That's sounds promising. I think short three day races like that may be the future for cycling rather than the week long ones.

You could have a point there

Richmond Racer

Postby Richmond Racer » Thu Jan 09, 2014 16:54 pm

MartinGT wrote:Great stuff, will this mean the races that got cancelled in East Yorkshire last season due to Police withdrawing from them will go ahead this year?...... :roll:

Stop being a killjoy

:( :)

MartinGT

Postby MartinGT » Thu Jan 09, 2014 16:56 pm

Richmond Racer wrote:
MartinGT wrote:Great stuff, will this mean the races that got cancelled in East Yorkshire last season due to Police withdrawing from them will go ahead this year?...... :roll:

Stop being a killjoy

:( :)

:lol:

Its great news, really is. Anything that promotes cycling I am all for. If it gets more people interested great stuff.

But last season I had 4 races in East & North Yorkshire cancelled because of Police pulling out and H&S issues. Frustrating really is, especially when I certain Laura Trott was down for one of them 8)

Kudos to Verity, he seems a top bloke and passionate about this.

johnboy183

Postby johnboy183 » Thu Jan 09, 2014 17:25 pm

Would be great to have the opportunity to see WT teams, riders etc on a regular basis. However it would also be a shame if it was at the expense of some BC events as already suggested. How and where are the domestic riders going to ride to improve their own chances of making it to a bigger stage? And I guess for many, the Premier Calendar races are and will be the pinnacle of their careers.

FJS

Postby FJS » Thu Jan 09, 2014 17:35 pm

Yes, let's abolish the Premier League - it could be at the expense of League Two....

In the long run it will give cycling as a whole more exposure and be good for the domestic BC events too.

Marvellous news, can't wait to see the route

Richmond Racer

Postby Richmond Racer » Thu Jan 09, 2014 17:44 pm

johnboy183 wrote:Would be great to have the opportunity to see WT teams, riders etc on a regular basis. However it would also be a shame if it was at the expense of some BC events as already suggested. How and where are the domestic riders going to ride to improve their own chances of making it to a bigger stage? And I guess for many, the Premier Calendar races are and will be the pinnacle of their careers.

Who's suggesting that?

iainf72

Postby iainf72 » Thu Jan 09, 2014 18:16 pm

RichN95 wrote:That's sounds promising. I think short three day races like that may be the future for cycling rather than the week long ones.

Add one more day and it's the format proposed by the breakaway league, isn't it?

I think it's a good thing - good format, all around a smallish area.
Fckin' Quintana … that creep can roll, man.

johnboy183

Postby johnboy183 » Thu Jan 09, 2014 18:39 pm

Richmond Racer wrote:
johnboy183 wrote:Would be great to have the opportunity to see WT teams, riders etc on a regular basis. However it would also be a shame if it was at the expense of some BC events as already suggested. How and where are the domestic riders going to ride to improve their own chances of making it to a bigger stage? And I guess for many, the Premier Calendar races are and will be the pinnacle of their careers.

Who's suggesting that?

Just my interpretation of an earlier post, plus the reduction with Premier races. I'm not speaking from a position of knowledge, just guessing

RichN95

Postby RichN95 » Thu Jan 09, 2014 19:05 pm

iainf72 wrote:

Add one more day and it's the format proposed by the breakaway league, isn't it?

More or less. They just seem to have contracted two of the days into one. They realised that there's really no need for a sprint stage to be more than 100km - two hours is enough (and better for TV).

Rick Chasey
Lives Here

Postby Rick Chasey » Thu Jan 09, 2014 19:38 pm

3 days is an odd length to me.

What's the point? It's not knackering enough for recovery to play a factor and for it to tell a lot of stories, nor does it have the immediacy of a one day race.

What do you guys find promising about 3 days? (honest question - not rhetorical).

Richmond Racer

Postby Richmond Racer » Thu Jan 09, 2014 19:49 pm

Rick Chasey wrote:3 days is an odd length to me.

What's the point? It's not knackering enough for recovery to play a factor and for it to tell a lot of stories, nor does it have the immediacy of a one day race.

What do you guys find promising about 3 days? (honest question - not rhetorical).

Nothing like as costly as a week-long race - so potentially more sustainable from a commercial POV
Tighter format - not a huge fan of week-long stage races with 4 x sprint stages
Easier to slot into the race calendar and for teams to accommodate in their race programmes

gpreeves

Postby gpreeves » Thu Jan 09, 2014 19:55 pm

I'd be hoping for the initial TT to shake the order up, to be followed by 3 stages that are all raced "properly."

Ideally this would miss out the dull, flat stages that you tend to get in week long races. I think they're important in GTs but races like P-N or Romandie often just seem to be a warm up for one or two key stages. Why not just have the key stages without the extra cost/hassle of more boring stages?

Blazing Saddles

Postby Blazing Saddles » Thu Jan 09, 2014 20:05 pm

By 'eck, "The Race to the Drizzle"?
Last edited by Blazing Saddles on Thu Jan 09, 2014 20:05 pm, edited 1 time in total.
"Science is a tool for cheaters". An anonymous French PE teacher.

RichN95

Postby RichN95 » Thu Jan 09, 2014 20:05 pm

1. It strips the flab off stage races - and there's a lot of flab on a lot of them. Most World Tour week long races boil down one mountain and one TT (as far as GC in concerned). Far too much of it doesn't matter. And as far as recovery is concerned - I don't think they are struggling on one week races. Plenty of riders do far harder training blocks.

2. Money. If it's centred on a single location then overheads are greatly reduced. It also becomes a weekend event - a sportif can run in conjunction with it. A central location will also allow for opportunties for sponsors. Maybe women's racing too

3. TV. It's hard to get engrossed in a race when most of it takes place when you are work.

4. As they are short races they can more easily be dropped into the calendar and can be accomodated more easily by big name riders.

I'd have a format like this.

Friday
Short time trial (length depends on difficulty of subsequent races)
Early evening sprinters stage. 20 laps of a 5km course. 6pm-8pm (or whenever light permits)

Saturday
Classics type stage

Sunday
Climbers stage

Edit: I see to have said what Richmond Racer said, but with ten times as many words.

RichN95

Postby RichN95 » Thu Jan 09, 2014 20:08 pm

Blazing Saddles wrote:By 'eck, "The Race to the Drizzle"?

The Race away from the Sun

Rick Chasey
Lives Here

Postby Rick Chasey » Thu Jan 09, 2014 20:51 pm

Richmond Racer wrote:

Nothing like as costly as a week-long race - so potentially more sustainable from a commercial POV
Tighter format - not a huge fan of week-long stage races with 4 x sprint stages
Easier to slot into the race calendar and for teams to accommodate in their race programmes

Pfft. So practical.

AndyRAC

Postby AndyRAC » Thu Jan 09, 2014 22:17 pm

As already said, this could be a precursor to the future. 3 day races over a Friday - Sunday. And run it from a central 'host town'. Sounds similar to what happened to World Championship Rallying 15+ years ago. Instead of going all over the country during midweek, etc Base it in a smaller area, over a weekend.

Whether it can work for cycling is another matter.

I take it the ASO feel snubbed by not winning the Tour of Britain organisers role; and this could be a suitable 'substitute'?
" He's flown down the Mountain like a missile...."
" He's literally burning up the Tarmac...."

Giant TCX 2
Focus Marex AX Apex
Cannondale Synapse Carbon 105 Disc

Return to “Pro Race”