Zonda (Campag freehub) £243.75

Postby mfin » Fri Jan 10, 2014 10:55 am

£243.75 with SALE12 code

http://www.ribblecycles.co.uk/sp/road-t ... ampwhfr505

...just in case anyone is interested, as they are popular wheels

ugo.santalucia

Re: Zonda (Campag freehub) £243.75

Postby ugo.santalucia » Fri Jan 10, 2014 11:01 am

I remember the days when Campagnolo was a serious brand and wasn't prostituting to make a sale... I suppose those days are gone even for prestigious brands, or maybe Campagnolo is no longer a prestigious brand.

Do Rolex retailers slash prices? genuine question... :roll:

rudivoller22

Postby rudivoller22 » Fri Jan 10, 2014 11:02 am

I've got a set of Zondas and they are fantastic in my opinion. That's a great price too.

mfin

Postby mfin » Fri Jan 10, 2014 11:10 am

ugo.santalucia wrote:I remember the days when Campagnolo was a serious brand and wasn't prostituting to make a sale... I suppose those days are gone even for prestigious brands, or maybe Campagnolo is no longer a prestigious brand.

Ah, you stick your old fashioned ways Ugo, I'm sure you could give all the extra money you think you should pay for anything by Campag to charity if you'd like to pay more.

Rolex can do what they like, only certain 'types' of people buy Rolex watches!

ugo.santalucia

Postby ugo.santalucia » Fri Jan 10, 2014 11:16 am

Sorry, I can't help but feeling sad by the way Valentino runs the company. They have gone the route of competing on every slice of the road market... even the cheap buy-to-bin one...
I am not talking about the Zonda, but a brand that takes itself seriously won't allow prices to be slashed. Serious brands don't... even in cycling

I hope you don't mind me going off topic... there isn't much to talk about a voucher anyway...

Rolf F

Postby Rolf F » Fri Jan 10, 2014 11:18 am

ugo.santalucia wrote:I remember the days when Campagnolo was a serious brand and wasn't prostituting to make a sale... I suppose those days are gone even for prestigious brands, or maybe Campagnolo is no longer a prestigious brand.

People don't want serious brands anymore. Once upon a time, Saab made genuinely well made cars. All the quality was underneath and an adequate minority of people appreciated it.

Nowadays people want the sort of quality Audi produce - cheap plastic tat hidden by a very nicely finished veneer. Nothing special, no real quality but it looks posh. Saab went bust. The expensive Breightling clock in a Bentley is exactly the same thing as the clock in a VW Passat aside from the face and hands and both probably cost about 25p to produce. That says a lot about both Breightling and VW.

Campagnolo is now just an alternative to Shimano - it's remaining exclusivity is purely down to Shimanos dominance in the ready built bike market. That's still a degree of exlusivity but a Campag groupset is no longer almost a guarantee that the bike it is on is something a bit better than the norm as once was the case.
Faster than a tent.......

mfin

Postby mfin » Fri Jan 10, 2014 11:19 am

Campag are a business, I'm sure their sales models are based around making money, whether they have that about right within their current setup god knows.

ugo.santalucia

Postby ugo.santalucia » Fri Jan 10, 2014 11:25 am

Rolf F wrote:Campagnolo is now just an alternative to Shimano - it's remaining exclusivity is purely down to Shimanos dominance in the ready built bike market. That's still a degree of exlusivity but a Campag groupset is no longer almost a guarantee that the bike it is on is something a bit better than the norm as once was the case.

I agree with you on every point.
There are however different business models and they do survive. I would have preferred Campagnolo being smaller, more elitarian, taking the route of offering fewer products, appropriately priced and with exceptional quality.
I very rarely buy "on sale" unless what I want is on sale at the time I want it. I prefer to buy stuff with excellent quality and buy less of it. I think there is still a market for it

Rolf F

Postby Rolf F » Fri Jan 10, 2014 11:36 am

ugo.santalucia wrote:
Rolf F wrote:Campagnolo is now just an alternative to Shimano - it's remaining exclusivity is purely down to Shimanos dominance in the ready built bike market. That's still a degree of exlusivity but a Campag groupset is no longer almost a guarantee that the bike it is on is something a bit better than the norm as once was the case.

I agree with you on every point.
There are however different business models and they do survive. I would have preferred Campagnolo being smaller, more elitarian, taking the route of offering fewer products, appropriately priced and with exceptional quality.
I very rarely buy "on sale" unless what I want is on sale at the time I want it. I prefer to buy stuff with excellent quality and buy less of it. I think there is still a market for it

I think you are right but I'm not sure that Campagnolo are taking an intriniscally wrong approach in a business sense. Would you chose to deliberately contract your business? I doubt I would - it would take much nerve. I think the model whereby you retain integrity of your product by local manufacture of the high end stuff and perhaps subsidise that by using the Far East for the lower end stuff is not a bad one. I don't think Campagnolo have sold out (yet) eg in the way that Pinarello have by farming everything out. That immediately destroys all interest I have in a manufacturer.

g00se

Postby g00se » Fri Jan 10, 2014 11:42 am

Having a look at their wheel listing - basically all their wheels are heavily discounted at the moment, Shimano and Zipp especially, compared to Campag and Mavic. It might also be a new fact of life as they also control Fulcrum which doesn't have the same cache even though they wheels are basically the same. Fulcrum will get discounted - and can they have that undercutting Campag?

But on the bigger question, I'm sure the marketing changes at Campag are not on a whim of Valentino - even though he's no Tullio.

If they try to live on past glories - they'll go the way of Suntour. With the money Shimano have in product development - and the crossover technology they and SRAM know from MTB - they don't have the guaranteed technical edge any more. Even if you don't like electronic shifting, look at the speed Shimano turned Di2 around to get it out before EPS arrived after it's painstakingly slow development (I'd mention SRAM's hydraulic disks but maybe that was a bit rushed in hindsight) . Now the biggest part of the road market seems to be toys for big boys, Japanese hi-tech kit has as much kudos as Italian craft.

You could argue Campag have to do two things.

1. Innovate - and this has suffered since Tullio died. Fingers crossed they get the people in to sort this out. Where it's worked, they've gone the trusted route of developing through the Peloton - but that takes time. They've failed at the quick, catch-up push to market (MTB, powertorque etc).

2. OEM sales - and they've said this is a main push now. But that needs discounted, bulk order work with the large bike suppliers and a supply chain across Asia - even though they still manufacture in Europe - and they appear to have started getting this sorted in the last year or two.

The OEM stuff and wheels are going to keep Campag alive - not past glories. What they need to do is innovate again.

DiscoBoy

Postby DiscoBoy » Fri Jan 10, 2014 11:53 am

ugo.santalucia wrote:Do Rolex retailers slash prices? genuine question... :roll:

No, they'd lose their contract to deal Rolex.

I can have a conversation about how Rolex sales are a joke, though, if you wish. The words "license to print money" will come up more than once.

I'm glad that no/few bicycle component/ accessory manufacturers have the power that Rolex do.
Red bikes are the fastest.

Rolf F

Postby Rolf F » Fri Jan 10, 2014 11:56 am

g00se wrote:1. Innovate - and this has suffered since Tullio died. Fingers crossed they get the people in to sort this out. Where it's worked, they've gone the trusted route of developing through the Peloton - but that takes time. They've failed at the quick, catch-up push to market (MTB, powertorque etc).

Powertorque is a good case in point; good thing or bad? To me, it is the stuff of Ugos nightmares and I wouldn't really want it on a bike of mine (I had Ribble remove the Powershift levers off my Gran Fondo and swap them for a set of Ultrashift levers on a display bike when I picked it up! (I had told them I expected Ultrashift!) :lol: ). However, before Powertorque there was barely any meaningful mechanical difference across the range aside from the number of gears. There was little practical point in choosing anything other than Veloce or Athena. Now Veloce, Athena and Chorus are all clearly distinct choices. In marketing terms, that seems to make sense (however ,much it irritates me that they no longer make decent 10 speed shifters!).

ALIHISGREAT

Postby ALIHISGREAT » Fri Jan 10, 2014 12:07 pm

ugo.santalucia wrote:Sorry, I can't help but feeling sad by the way Valentino runs the company. They have gone the route of competing on every slice of the road market... even the cheap buy-to-bin one...
I am not talking about the Zonda, but a brand that takes itself seriously won't allow prices to be slashed. Serious brands don't... even in cycling

I hope you don't mind me going off topic... there isn't much to talk about a voucher anyway...

So campag are going to start buying back the unsold old stock from distributors?

I recently bought some Fulcrum wheels... I wouldn't have been able to afford the 2014 version with an 11speed shimano freehub but I got the 2013 10 speed version at a significant discount. What's wrong with that?

g00se

Postby g00se » Fri Jan 10, 2014 12:09 pm

Rolf F wrote:
g00se wrote:1. Innovate - and this has suffered since Tullio died. Fingers crossed they get the people in to sort this out. Where it's worked, they've gone the trusted route of developing through the Peloton - but that takes time. They've failed at the quick, catch-up push to market (MTB, powertorque etc).

Powertorque is a good case in point; good thing or bad? To me, it is the stuff of Ugos nightmares and I wouldn't really want it on a bike of mine (I had Ribble remove the Powershift levers off my Gran Fondo and swap them for a set of Ultrashift levers on a display bike when I picked it up! (I had told them I expected Ultrashift!) :lol: ). However, before Powertorque there was barely any meaningful mechanical difference across the range aside from the number of gears. There was little practical point in choosing anything other than Veloce or Athena. Now Veloce, Athena and Chorus are all clearly distinct choices. In marketing terms, that seems to make sense (however ,much it irritates me that they no longer make decent 10 speed shifters!).

Agreed. They had to get rid of Xenon and Mirage - that was their first attempt at OEM but was still using the old shape tooling. So they 'dumbed down' Veloce, Centaur and Athena to spread the remaining range of products.

A lot of this also relates to patents - for which Shimano hold shed-loads and Campag didn't want to license. I think that's the reason for the bearings on the spindles and not in the cups. And that's another reason why small scale artisan groupset manufacturers would suffer in the modern component world - being swamped by patent litigation.

(As an aside, you can get an insight into future development but searching patent filing on google. How much do you want to wager Campag will come out with chainrings incorporating asymmetric, offset mounting plates - and extended crank spiders - to increase stiffness and improve front shifting under load?)

ugo.santalucia

Postby ugo.santalucia » Fri Jan 10, 2014 12:11 pm

ALIHISGREAT wrote:
So campag are going to start buying back the unsold old stock from distributors?

I recently bought some Fulcrum wheels... I wouldn't have been able to afford the 2014 version with an 11speed shimano freehub but I got the 2013 10 speed version at a significant discount. What's wrong with that?

It's not just the unsold stock that gets slashed...
Another example is Campagnolo clothing... I have bought the odd piece, hoping for decent quality and yes, it was half price when I needed it... but it is garbage... really, the quality of their shorts, bibs and jackets matches that of Aldi. I won't buy Campagnolo clothing again and certainly contributes to the rather low opinion I now have of anything that comes from Vicenza (including the poor quality power/ultra shifters).

I understand that in a big market small players get chewed up, but I still disagree with their choice of going for every single slice of the market

ugo.santalucia

Postby ugo.santalucia » Fri Jan 10, 2014 12:13 pm

g00se wrote:(As an aside, you can get an insight into future development but searching patent filing on google. How much do you want to wager Campag will come out with chainrings incorporating asymmetric, offset mounting plates - and extended crank spiders - to increase stiffness and improve front shifting under load?)

In other words, real world problems... :lol:

SloppySchleckonds

Postby SloppySchleckonds » Fri Jan 10, 2014 12:36 pm

ugo.santalucia wrote:even the cheap buy-to-bin one...

They want a slice of Shimano & Mavics market
I'm sorry you don't believe in miracles

rudivoller22

Postby rudivoller22 » Fri Jan 10, 2014 14:22 pm

ugo.santalucia wrote:
ALIHISGREAT wrote:

It's not just the unsold stock that gets slashed...
Another example is Campagnolo clothing... I have bought the odd piece, hoping for decent quality and yes, it was half price when I needed it... but it is garbage... really, the quality of their shorts, bibs and jackets matches that of Aldi. I won't buy Campagnolo clothing again and certainly contributes to the rather low opinion I now have of anything that comes from Vicenza (including the poor quality power/ultra shifters).

I understand that in a big market small players get chewed up, but I still disagree with their choice of going for every single slice of the market

Completely agree. I bought a couple of pairs of their bibs expecting them to be good and they are utter garbage. Aldi ones are actually better. That can't be right.

nickynoodles

Postby nickynoodles » Fri Jan 10, 2014 15:23 pm

Flasher

Postby Flasher » Fri Jan 10, 2014 15:41 pm

What does the price that Ribble sell the wheels for have anything to do with Campagnolo?

Return to “Road Buying Advice”