Commonwealth Games 2014

Talk about competitive road cycling in all its forms
stonflo

Commonwealth Games 2014

Postby stonflo » Fri Jan 17, 2014 16:02 pm

Can anyone tell me which day/date in July/August the road races are?
Mike

Fat Cat

Re: Commonwealth Games 2014

Postby Fat Cat » Fri Jan 17, 2014 16:09 pm

Both on Sunday 3rd August

see attached link http://downloads.glasgow2014.com/sites/ ... hedule.pdf

RichN95

Postby RichN95 » Fri Jan 17, 2014 16:11 pm

Time trial on July 31st (Thursday), Road Races on August 3rd (Sunday).

Detailed schedule here: http://downloads.glasgow2014.com/sites/ ... gGuide.pdf
Twitter: @RichN95

stonflo

Postby stonflo » Sat Jan 18, 2014 09:24 am

Thanks for the replies however we will be on our way to Edinburgh with a motor home so it looks like trying to catch it on tv.
Mike

Yellow Peril

Postby Yellow Peril » Sat Jan 18, 2014 15:31 pm

Can't wait for this. Really looking forward to watching the local countries do well

RichN95

Postby RichN95 » Sat Jan 18, 2014 18:00 pm

There was a poster on this forum, ozzyosbourn206, who a few months ago said, in the Amateur race forum, that he had a chance of going to the Commonwealths for Guernsey. Any updates ozzy?
Twitter: @RichN95

Pross

Postby Pross » Sat Jan 18, 2014 21:47 pm

RichN95 wrote:There was a poster on this forum, ozzyosbourn206, who a few months ago said, in the Amateur race forum, that he had a chance of going to the Commonwealths for Guernsey. Any updates ozzy?

He posted again recently, seems hopeful of a place but was asking whether to go if he had a chance. The resounding answer seems to be 'yes'.

No tA Doctor

Postby No tA Doctor » Sat Jan 18, 2014 21:49 pm

Pross wrote:
RichN95 wrote:There was a poster on this forum, ozzyosbourn206, who a few months ago said, in the Amateur race forum, that he had a chance of going to the Commonwealths for Guernsey. Any updates ozzy?

He posted again recently, seems hopeful of a place but was asking whether to go if he had a chance. The resounding answer seems to be 'yes'.

It has to be a yes. Sure you'll probably get dropped real quick, but you'll be able to say you've raced against some top names.
“Road racing was over and the UCI had banned my riding positions on the track, so it was like ‘Jings, crivvens, help ma Boab, what do I do now? I know, I’ll go away and be depressed for 10 years’.”

@DrHeadgear

Steve Abraham's attempt at the year record

ozzzyosborn206

Postby ozzzyosborn206 » Sun Jan 19, 2014 15:21 pm

No tA Doctor wrote:
Pross wrote:

It has to be a yes. Sure you'll probably get dropped real quick, but you'll be able to say you've raced against some top names.

Our Commonwealth Games committee has set out a qualification criteria, so far 4 guys have qualified Tobyn Horton(rides for Madison Genesis this year) James McLaughlin (riding for French DN1 team Guidon Chalettois) and Mike Serafin and James Roe who are predominately MTBers but will do RR too. I have half qualified for RR and 2/3 qualified for TT. I have until May i think to fully qualify, if i don't manage it i can appeal to still be selected and both Tobyn and James have said they will put in a good word for me if needs be but I think they the outcome of that relies more on the overall size of the Guernsey team.

No tA Doctor

Postby No tA Doctor » Sun Jan 19, 2014 15:48 pm

ozzzyosborn206 wrote:
No tA Doctor wrote:
Pross wrote:

Our Commonwealth Games committee has set out a qualification criteria, so far 4 guys have qualified Tobyn Horton(rides for Madison Genesis this year) James McLaughlin (riding for French DN1 team Guidon Chalettois) and Mike Serafin and James Roe who are predominately MTBers but will do RR too. I have half qualified for RR and 2/3 qualified for TT. I have until May i think to fully qualify, if i don't manage it i can appeal to still be selected and both Tobyn and James have said they will put in a good word for me if needs be but I think they the outcome of that relies more on the overall size of the Guernsey team.

Good luck, and keep us posted!
“Road racing was over and the UCI had banned my riding positions on the track, so it was like ‘Jings, crivvens, help ma Boab, what do I do now? I know, I’ll go away and be depressed for 10 years’.”

@DrHeadgear

Steve Abraham's attempt at the year record

Yellow Peril

Postby Yellow Peril » Sun Jan 19, 2014 19:18 pm

No tA Doctor wrote:
ozzzyosborn206 wrote:
No tA Doctor wrote:
Pross wrote:

Good luck, and keep us posted!

Absolutely. Looking forward to catching up with any BR forumites at the Commie Games

disgruntledgoat

Postby disgruntledgoat » Mon Jan 20, 2014 09:13 am

Lamentably, I won't be there as I'm quitting my job on the organising committee.

Did I mention I'm moving to Belgium? Did I? :P :wink:
"In many ways, my story was that of a raging, Christ-like figure who hauled himself off the cross, looked up at the Romans with blood in his eyes and said 'My turn, sock cookers'"

@gietvangent

thegreatdivide

Postby thegreatdivide » Mon Jan 20, 2014 14:24 pm

We'll be doing the St Vincent St to West George St dash again. Worked a treat last year.
"Crevaison sur les paves..."

mulletmaster

Postby mulletmaster » Mon Jan 20, 2014 18:09 pm

What time do you need to qualify for the TT just out of interest?

ozzzyosborn206

Postby ozzzyosborn206 » Mon Jan 20, 2014 20:44 pm

mulletmaster wrote:What time do you need to qualify for the TT just out of interest?

They basically made up a criteria saying you need to gain 30 points. They give 10 points for a sub 54minute 25mile time trial in Guernsey, 10 points for a top 5 in the Island Games time trial and 10 points for a sub 52 minute 25 mile time trial in the UK. However they said you can only gain 20 of the 30 required points in the UK meaning you would still need to do the time in Guernsey or top 5 in IG, but you could only gain 10 points from Guernsey TTs. Which means if needed you could have done 2 sub 52min 25s in UK plus either Guernsey time or IG top 5.

I was 5th in the island games time trial and last year did 53.17 25 in Guernsey so just need to sub 52 min 25 in the UK but that is that one i am not so keen on as I don't like the idea of time trials in the UK, it is however generally regarded as the easiest of the three ways to gain the points.

Yellow Peril

Postby Yellow Peril » Tue Jan 21, 2014 07:14 am

ozzzyosborn206 wrote:
mulletmaster wrote:What time do you need to qualify for the TT just out of interest?

They basically made up a criteria saying you need to gain 30 points. They give 10 points for a sub 54minute 25mile time trial in Guernsey, 10 points for a top 5 in the Island Games time trial and 10 points for a sub 52 minute 25 mile time trial in the UK. However they said you can only gain 20 of the 30 required points in the UK meaning you would still need to do the time in Guernsey or top 5 in IG, but you could only gain 10 points from Guernsey TTs. Which means if needed you could have done 2 sub 52min 25s in UK plus either Guernsey time or IG top 5.

I was 5th in the island games time trial and last year did 53.17 25 in Guernsey so just need to sub 52 min 25 in the UK but that is that one i am not so keen on as I don't like the idea of time trials in the UK, it is however generally regarded as the easiest of the three ways to gain the points.

Gotta go for it. I believe there are some quite fast courses in the UK. I'm guessing it is the road safety issue that puts you off but remember 1000's riders TT throughout the year it is still relatively safe.

Der Kaiser

Postby Der Kaiser » Tue Jan 21, 2014 09:56 am

Aside from our friend from Guernsey who do we think will be challenging for the medals in Glasgow.

Will we see a decent field of riders or are we likely to miss out on the superstars?

Richmond Racer

Postby Richmond Racer » Tue Jan 21, 2014 10:12 am

Der Kaiser wrote:Aside from our friend from Guernsey who do we think will be challenging for the medals in Glasgow.

Will we see a decent field of riders or are we likely to miss out on the superstars?

He mentioned the Commies in an interview before the Worlds, so wont be surprised if Wiggins rides the TT alongside Dowsett.

Aus will want to be competitive and I can see Durbo, Hepburn or Dennis lining up for the TT.

disgruntledgoat

Postby disgruntledgoat » Tue Jan 21, 2014 10:27 am

It's one of David Millar's last races too.
"In many ways, my story was that of a raging, Christ-like figure who hauled himself off the cross, looked up at the Romans with blood in his eyes and said 'My turn, sock cookers'"

@gietvangent

Yellow Peril

Postby Yellow Peril » Tue Jan 21, 2014 10:39 am

The aussies will turn out in force, they love a big Games. I expect Meyer to road race maybe track as well?

Return to “Pro Race”