Is TREK becoming slightly cool ?

Talk about competitive road cycling in all its forms
SpecialGuestStar

Is TREK becoming slightly cool ?

Postby SpecialGuestStar » Thu Jan 23, 2014 17:20 pm

TREK and associated teams always seem to have a degree of naffness to me (is this just me?) However their status has been climbing the ranks. I've actually seen a couple of TREKs I would buy and the team seems to be at the right side of the coolometer

Is the zeitgeist a changing ?

andytee87

Re: Is TREK becoming slightly cool ?

Postby andytee87 » Thu Jan 23, 2014 17:23 pm

It's worrying isn't it. I think some of the newer ones are much better than 2+ years old

MajorMantra

Postby MajorMantra » Thu Jan 23, 2014 17:24 pm

Maybe. They're slowing shedding the accumulated baggage of the Armstrong era, they've got some genuinely interesting bikes out (Boone, Domane, Crockett) and they're sponsoring Sven Nys. (Not to mention Katie Compton.)

I still think BB90 is sh1t though.

Yellow Peril

Postby Yellow Peril » Thu Jan 23, 2014 17:29 pm

MajorMantra wrote:Maybe. They're slowing shedding the accumulated baggage of the Armstrong era, they've got some genuinely interesting bikes out (Boone, Domane, Crockett) and they're sponsoring Sven Nys. (Not to mention Katie Compton.)

I still think BB90 is sh1t though.

agreed. sponsoring Sven Nys is huge Kudos he's awesome.

rayjay

Postby rayjay » Thu Jan 23, 2014 17:37 pm

These are the coolest treks I have ever seen, being tested by some trek boys.

They should race them like this [lots of pic's so I'm ok rich]

http://triathlete-europe.competitor.com ... rek-frames

ALIHISGREAT

Postby ALIHISGREAT » Thu Jan 23, 2014 17:42 pm

Yeah I think Trek is getting cooler - Cancellara and Voigt on the road, Nys and Compton for Cross. Oh and MTN Qhubeka are pretty cool too.

And as already mentioned the Domane and the new Cross bikes are very interesting. I think Project One gives them an advantage over competitors too?

SpecialGuestStar

Postby SpecialGuestStar » Thu Jan 23, 2014 18:06 pm

Trek Factory Racing has certainly a better ring than The Shack - TREK Leopard whatever it was etc

This current team must be the most multinational and extreme age range from four 20/ 21 year olds to Legs 11 42

I counted 17 different flags!

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Trek_Factory_Racing

ozzzyosborn206

Postby ozzzyosborn206 » Thu Jan 23, 2014 19:13 pm

yeah I like them, hired one in Lanzarote a few years ago and was nice, but i'm not a fan of bontrager components and they still have a bit of Armstrong lingering around them but given time that should go. I don't think project one is really worth the money, I would rather spend the extra money on nicer components than a different paint job.

Paul 8v

Postby Paul 8v » Thu Jan 23, 2014 20:22 pm

They are just making good bikes, I got the Domane after trying a few of the competitors and it blew them away. Seeing Cancellara riding them to victory at Flanders and Roubaix is pretty much the best advertising you can get.

They don't have the prestige of the Italian brands so have had to make up for it by making good bikes. I used to think they were boring as hell but I love mine.

The new kit isn't as cool as last years but I'm getting more used to it.

The project one is probably only worth it on the higher end models, if you have that sort of money to splash anyway. Cheaper than a re-paint and wouldn't affect the warranty though so if you did want your teams colours it isn't a bad idea.

No tA Doctor

Postby No tA Doctor » Thu Jan 23, 2014 20:26 pm

I still can't warm to them, though it's not really possible to be less cool than The Shack.
“Road racing was over and the UCI had banned my riding positions on the track, so it was like ‘Jings, crivvens, help ma Boab, what do I do now? I know, I’ll go away and be depressed for 10 years’.”

@DrHeadgear

Steve Abraham's attempt at the year record

jimmythecuckoo

Postby jimmythecuckoo » Thu Jan 23, 2014 20:33 pm

Still not enough for me to like them.

Lance, the Schlecks, stealing Celeste from Bianchi last summer...

Not a fan.

Although the Project one bike in ride cycling review could start to turn me.
http://fendrien.eu <<Blog/Photos/Kit

rayjay

Postby rayjay » Thu Jan 23, 2014 20:51 pm

I don't understand how some of you hint at not liking a bike because the rider doped. It's shallow.

I'm not a fan of Garmin but the RCA is my fav tour bike and those Gabba jerseys are very cool.

Question ,,,,Armstrong on a Pinarello, would the world end?

mroli

Postby mroli » Fri Jan 24, 2014 00:51 am

Rajay - I'm not a fan specifically because of the stories about how Lemond got treated, presumably at the behest of Lance. Having said that, other companies I tar with the same brush are Oakley and Nike TBF...

TimB34

Postby TimB34 » Fri Jan 24, 2014 08:00 am

I always find the name "Trek" uninspiring - it conjures up images of tediously trudging across endless, dull landscapes.

Although I actually quite like the new team kit (looks much better on the bike than in the team presentation pics)

dsoutar

Postby dsoutar » Fri Jan 24, 2014 08:26 am

Just out of curiosity, how differently are Trek viewed in the MTB world seeing as the Armstrong "legacy" isn't quite so relevant ?

Just to declare an interest here, my winter bike is a Trek and whilst it is fairly boring (certainly to look at) it has done the job more than adequately for years. The summer / dry bike is a Wilier though and that is a thing of beauty

jimmythecuckoo

Postby jimmythecuckoo » Fri Jan 24, 2014 09:18 am

You sum it up quite well.

There is something missing for the Romantic cycling fan.
http://fendrien.eu <<Blog/Photos/Kit

Crankbrother

Postby Crankbrother » Fri Jan 24, 2014 11:27 am

There's just something very 'corporate' about Trek ... Same with Specialized ...

I have more issue with the blanket supply of parts and accessories (via Bontrager in Trek's case) rather than the bikes themselves ... The stuff just always looks cheap and uninspired ...

Bikes`n`guns

Postby Bikes`n`guns » Fri Jan 24, 2014 16:16 pm

Personally , I reckon my Domane 5.9 is the coolest thing, ever.

Lots of there older stuff is a bit naff, but theres no escaping they are now pretty cool.
Trek,,,, too cool for school ,, apparently

andy_wrx

Postby andy_wrx » Fri Jan 24, 2014 16:34 pm

I always avoided because of the Armstrong connection. The LeMond shenanigans put me off even further.

You could say that they and Specialized have all the romance of Ford & Vauxhall, compared to the Ferrari & Lamborghini heritage of the Italian brands.
Although in practice, if we follow the allegory, Bianchi are like Fiat and whatever happened to Lancia in the UK...?

But things like that DuoTrap Ant+ sensor built-into the chainstay rather than a cabletied-on Garmin sensor are cool.

And with their size and R&D budget, you'd think they would actually know how to make a decent bike compared to some far smaller exotic-sounding competitor

Joelsim

Postby Joelsim » Fri Jan 24, 2014 16:55 pm

Given £3k to spend on a bike, Trek would be pretty much at the bottom. No style or panache whatsoever.

Gimme a nice De Rosa any day
My men 2016: Kung, Meintjes, MA Lopez, Betancur, A Yates, S Yates, Gaviria, Taaramae. Bonus: Teunissen

www.catsittersw17.co.uk

Return to “Pro Race”