Any regular road riders not wear helmets?

New to Cycling? Want some advice? Start here...
Sprogthedog

Any regular road riders not wear helmets?

Postby Sprogthedog » Sun Mar 02, 2014 21:20 pm

I personally don't wear a helmet. I don't like how they feel and i don't like how they look on me, so I don't bother.
However, i do notice i am very much in a minority and i do sometimes wonder why.
Years ago hardly anyone wore helmets, now it seems like some people only have to sit on a bike and they think they have to wear a high-vis vest and a helmet.
I don't want to get into a whole big thing about the pros and cons of helmets, everyone will have their personal reasons either way. I am just curious how many other riders don't bother. I would say in the last few months, I can only recall one other rider without one on.
Anyone else not bother?

gavbarron

Re: Any regular road riders not wear helmets?

Postby gavbarron » Sun Mar 02, 2014 21:24 pm

Our Club rules say no helmet no ride. Personally I wear mine even on my own.
I could go on about why I do but imagine plenty others will no doubt get on their soap box about this one and save me the trouble

kayakerchris

Postby kayakerchris » Sun Mar 02, 2014 21:27 pm

I respect your right to ride without but if you spend anytime working with people with head injuries you will do anything to avoid becoming head injured.

Even a small benefit from wearing a helmet in my view would be worthwhile. The memory loss, loss of body control, emotional changes, etc are things I wouldn't want to inflict on my family.

Arthur Scrimshaw

Postby Arthur Scrimshaw » Sun Mar 02, 2014 21:31 pm

Oh god, here we go again.

Imposter

Postby Imposter » Sun Mar 02, 2014 21:45 pm

My guess is this will go at least five pages...

Kajjal

Postby Kajjal » Sun Mar 02, 2014 22:10 pm

Coming from mountain biking I have seen people go head first in the trail and various other things such as trees. This is why I always wear a helmet on the road as well.

Arthur Scrimshaw

Postby Arthur Scrimshaw » Sun Mar 02, 2014 22:14 pm

That's a coincidence, I've seen trees as well.

TheFD

Postby TheFD » Sun Mar 02, 2014 22:27 pm

No one I ride with or know goes without a helmet!
2013 - R872
2010 - Spesh Tarmac

Kajjal

Postby Kajjal » Sun Mar 02, 2014 23:04 pm

Arthur Scrimshaw wrote:That's a coincidence, I've seen trees as well.

Maybe not as up close as my mate who crashed into one and cracked his ribs :shock:

marcusjb

Postby marcusjb » Sun Mar 02, 2014 23:13 pm

Kajjal wrote:
Arthur Scrimshaw wrote:That's a coincidence, I've seen trees as well.

Maybe not as up close as my mate who crashed into one and cracked his ribs :shock:

Maybe he should have been wearing body armour instead of a helmet?

Velonutter
Lives Here

Postby Velonutter » Sun Mar 02, 2014 23:36 pm

Have a look at the enclosed photo, at over 30 mph sprinting for a 30 sign, I crashed, the last thing I remembered was a wobble at the front end, next minute I'm recovering at the side of the road, totally unaware to this day what happened, that night, it was a blue light job to A&E due to onset concussion.

The Doctors at A&E said I would almost certainly be dead or a total cabbage if I hadn't had my helmet on. The crash was that bad, that something had still cut my head all the way down the crack.

As much as I would to not have to wear a helmet I do and am grateful that I got to see my family after the crash.

Pilot Pete

Postby Pilot Pete » Sun Mar 02, 2014 23:41 pm

Sprogthedog wrote:However, i do notice i am very much in a minority and i do sometimes wonder why...

...I don't want to get into a whole big thing about the pros and cons of helmets, everyone will have their personal reasons either way.

You wonder why? Really? No, I mean you really wonder why you are in the minority? :roll:

So you don't want to get into the whole big thing about the pros and cons, so what exactly is the point of this thread?

I am another who will defend the right of individuals not to wear a helmet if they so choose, but I always wear one. That's my choice and I know why I am in the majority.

PP
:roll:

Cygnus

Postby Cygnus » Mon Mar 03, 2014 00:18 am

I never wear a helmet. I tried wearing a helmet for about 2 years but it just wasn't me so now I don't bother. I've managed for about 40 odd years without a helmet (apart from that 2 year [call it] trial period), had my fair share of spills over the years and I'm still here so no reason to change.

sjmclean

Postby sjmclean » Mon Mar 03, 2014 01:01 am

I think it's stupid to not wear a helmet, it could save your life.

If it was my choice it would be the law. I don't see one valid argument against wearing it, especially vanity. Que the people saying if the knock is hard enough to kill you it will regardless of wearing a helmet.

fujisst

Postby fujisst » Mon Mar 03, 2014 04:16 am

Really? Stupid is as stupid does.

Bozman

Postby Bozman » Mon Mar 03, 2014 07:47 am

I generally don't wear one but I'll put one on for wet or Icey rides purely down to risk assessment/nagging wife.
I've been cycling for over 20 years and I didn't even own a helmet up until about 4 years ago, we all know the risks but it's up to the individual to choose and long may it remain that way.
Freedom of choice is slowly disappearing and we're being wrapped in cotton wool to appease the health and safety brigade, I'd guess that we'll all have to wear HV within the next few years.

Mercia Man

Postby Mercia Man » Mon Mar 03, 2014 08:54 am

I wear a helmet. It's about half and half on our Saturday club rides. Those who don't are in their 60s and 70s and are highly experienced high mileage riders.

Dabber

Postby Dabber » Mon Mar 03, 2014 09:04 am

Frankly, I couldn't give a stuff if people wear helmets or not. It's their life and health.Their demise matters not one bit to me. All this "I've ridden for x years and never needed one"... fine, but when your head scrapes along the road or makes contact with the curb you may find you have a different view. So may you loved ones.

For my part, I wear one and so does everyone else I ride with.
“You may think that; I couldn’t possibly comment!”

Wilier Cento Uno SR/Wilier Mortirolo/Giant Defy 3

Slowbike

Postby Slowbike » Mon Mar 03, 2014 09:17 am

I didn't wear one for our Saturday ride to breakfast ...

I didn't wear lycra tights either ...

I wore trainers instead of cycling shoes ...

Does this make me a bad person?

It was a beautiful morning to be riding casually down a cyclepath ... nice breakfast too :)

neeb

Postby neeb » Mon Mar 03, 2014 10:32 am

I always wear a helmet and have had at least one crash that I'm sure would have resulted in significant head injury if I hadn't been wearing one, but the one thing that sometimes tempts me to throw the thing away is the opinions of the hard-line pro-helmet brigade on threads such as this... :wink:

The fact is that people were riding bicycles for 100 years before anyone wore a helmet, and it wasn't regarded as a ridiculously dangerous activity. If you ride without a helmet you are certainly (IMO) putting yourself at significantly greater risk of life-altering head injury, but the risk isn't so great that anyone has the right to call anyone "stupid" or "idiotic" for taking that risk, or to imply that there is only one reasonable choice to make. There are plenty other risks some people voluntarily take in their lives that are just as serious, and we don't generally criticise them for it.

The important thing is that everyone is aware of the true facts, and unfortunately the bike and helmet industry (ironically) seem to conspire to obscure these. Try asking a helmet manufacturer how the level of protection differs between different models or brands of helmet, or how helmets sold in the U.S. and certified to different standards compare to identical-looking but structurally different ones sold in Europe and certified to different standards. You hit a blank wall of evasion and marketing bullshit.

The decider for me is that the risk reduction benefit from wearing a helmet very significantly outweighs the very minor inconvenience of wearing one, but others may reasonably come to different conclusions depending on a whole bunch of considerations including the type of riding that they do.

Return to “Road Beginners”