Davina beyond breaking point

The place for more serious off topic questions, light hearted banter and friendly chat.
sigorman85

Davina beyond breaking point

Postby sigorman85 » Thu Mar 20, 2014 21:15 pm

Anyone else watching this? Them conditions she was riding in looked horrid and to spend 10 hours on the bike I take my hat off to you
When i die I just hope the wife doesn't sell my stuff for what I told her I paid for it other wise someone will be getting a mega deal!!!

De rosa idol Disc di2 2015

wheelwobble

Re: Davina beyond breaking point

Postby wheelwobble » Thu Mar 20, 2014 21:23 pm

+1 130mls in those conditions & its only Day1 chapeau Davina!

Tetley10

Postby Tetley10 » Thu Mar 20, 2014 21:24 pm

What bike is she on?

wheelwobble

Postby wheelwobble » Thu Mar 20, 2014 21:35 pm

Dunno there was a thread on here when she did it. Think it was a smaller British make

Luv2ride

Postby Luv2ride » Thu Mar 20, 2014 21:52 pm

Both her and her trainer are riding Beacon Bikes. Bit of a coup for them...oh, and fair play DM 8)
Kinesis Crosslight Pro6 disc - Scott CR1 SL - Tifosi CK7 - Pinnacle Arkose Singlespeed "monster cross" - Spesh Singlecross...& an Ernie Ball Musicman Stingray 4 string...

Griffsters

Postby Griffsters » Thu Mar 20, 2014 21:52 pm

I think its a Beacon Bike from what little I can see of it. Chapeau indeed to Davina, what a gal.

Edit: Beaten to it! Just seen a side shot and definitely Beacon, runnng a bit behind on Sky +

JSCL

Postby JSCL » Thu Mar 20, 2014 21:58 pm

Definitely a good coup for Beacon. Some good things showing for those guys of late!

Follow me on Twitter - http://twitter.com/scalesjason - All posts are my personal view, not that of my employers.

Dav1d1

Postby Dav1d1 » Thu Mar 20, 2014 22:01 pm

Very good them conditions was horrible for the first day, think she also fell off as had a rip in the bib tights, think gore did well out of it as well,

Cornerblock

Postby Cornerblock » Thu Mar 20, 2014 22:03 pm

A fantastic effort, well done to her.

Grill

Postby Grill » Thu Mar 20, 2014 22:08 pm

Meh. Hundreds of audaxers tide that distance in those conditions (and worse) all the time. Nothing special about them, so I don't see why we should be patting her on the back for it.
English Cycles V3 | Scott Plasma 3 TT | BMC TrackMachine TM01 | Ritchey Road Logic | Scott CX Team

Hoopdriver

Postby Hoopdriver » Thu Mar 20, 2014 22:12 pm

Grill wrote:Meh. Hundreds of audaxers tide that distance in those conditions (and worse) all the time. Nothing special about them, so I don't see why we should be patting her on the back for it.

True, but these committed audaxers you are talking about have been cycling for years; it is their life in many cases, or at least their passion. She's just trying it out and for someone like that, well done. Surely even you were a begginer once

Bordersroadie

Postby Bordersroadie » Thu Mar 20, 2014 22:21 pm

She's one of the most irritating people, sure enough, but I raise my hat to her for what she did. Properly impressive and selfless charity raising despite what the cynics say.

ibbo68

Postby ibbo68 » Thu Mar 20, 2014 22:24 pm

I can't stand the woman,never have been able to.After watching tonight.....still can't stand the woman BUT have to admit a bit of respect where respect is due.
500 miles in 7days ride/swim/walk.Can't fault her 8)
Grill wrote:Meh. Hundreds of audaxers tide that distance in those conditions (and worse) all the time. Nothing special about them, so I don't see why we should be patting her on the back for it.

Well you've sort of answered your own statement with the your first sentence.They do it "all the time" she doesn't :wink:

marcusjb

Postby marcusjb » Thu Mar 20, 2014 22:32 pm

Rough and tough audaxer here who can ride 1000miles plus in a week.

No flipping way would I do that challenge in February! Getting in a ******* lake and swimming for a mile and a half?

Running? Any distance. No thanks.

She's annoying and I can't stand her, but I can't help but to admire her for her guts. Good on her.

KonkyWonky

Postby KonkyWonky » Thu Mar 20, 2014 22:32 pm

I guess they do, but then it wouldn't be quite the same challenge for them would it? Nor would it generate the same public interest and nor would it raise the same amount of money for charity.

There isn't really a negative here, unless your glass is really really empty.....

Cornerblock

Postby Cornerblock » Thu Mar 20, 2014 22:37 pm

And so it begins.

BillyMansell

Postby BillyMansell » Thu Mar 20, 2014 22:39 pm

Can't stand the celebrity self-flagellation and Davina is very good at self-flagellation and letting everyone know how much she's suffering for doing it.

We also had that Alex Whatsherface climbing a rock who was just as bad for showing her suffering. I was hoping she'd fall off not because I wish her ill but just to bring an end to the constant line of celebrities wanting to show us how human they are. They're celebrities, they could raise money for charity without such acts.

Grill

Postby Grill » Thu Mar 20, 2014 22:45 pm

My comment was simply in regards to the cycling bit. The swimming and running is something else. Let's keep in mind that she trained for 6 months with a coach and I'm sure most of us would complete the challenge if we had the same benefits.
English Cycles V3 | Scott Plasma 3 TT | BMC TrackMachine TM01 | Ritchey Road Logic | Scott CX Team

Cornerblock

Postby Cornerblock » Thu Mar 20, 2014 22:50 pm

BillyMansell wrote: They're celebrities, they could raise money for charity without such acts.

Could they raise as much though? Who cares if she has an annoying presenting style, do what I do and avoid her TV shows, it's not difficult. The important bit is that money is being donated and going to people who need it.

nunowoolmez

Postby nunowoolmez » Thu Mar 20, 2014 22:59 pm

Jeez, can't we just commend someone for doing something good, without gaving to sl*g them off too? Yes Davina is a celebrity but she is also a human being like you & I. It's not her fault she has had the career she ha, she has dine well, so what. Well done to her, this should not be used against her. Showing stuff like this on telly opens the projects & the whole reason she is doing it, up to the masses & the appeal can raise much more this way.

I always found Davina very irritating, but this showed her to be a really nice wholesome women, very vulnerable, very open, but stoic & gutsy with it. She came across very likeable i thought. That swim was horrendous though!

For those having a go at these celebs suffering on camera, well, it's because they are suffering. They are taking on mammoth physical challenges & are having a camera thrust in their direction while they are doing it. The average Joe would be exactly the same.

Why can't people just applaud someone for doing something positive without the need to be so negative toward them. Sign o the times I suppose, todays society has gone to the dogs...

Well done Davina & Alex, you made me proud

Return to “The Cake Stop”