Another cyclist killed (Angus region)

General bike chat that does not fit elsewhere
thegreatdivide

Another cyclist killed (Angus region)

Postby thegreatdivide » Thu Apr 17, 2014 09:48 am

Only discovered this today:

http://www.eveningtelegraph.co.uk/news/ ... h-1.322019

Look how straight that road is and it happened at 10am. It's being called 'a serious car accident' - FFS!

So sad.
"Crevaison sur les paves..."

adr82

Re: Another cyclist killed (Angus region)

Postby adr82 » Thu Apr 17, 2014 10:19 am

The damaged turquoise road bike was lying in the middle of the road with a squashed wheel. A small white van was parked close by with a smashed front window screen on its passenger side.

Passenger side damage, so it sounds likely they hit the cyclist from behind while attempting to overtake? It is a really straight bit of road but that'd just encourage people to overtake on it so they don't get stuck behind the "bloody cyclist" further on. Wouldn't be surprised if they tried to squeeze between the cyclist and oncoming traffic and got it horribly wrong :(

rpherts

Postby rpherts » Thu Apr 17, 2014 10:34 am

"smashed front window screen on its passenger side" suggests that the car simply ploughed straight through. An overtaking manouver would clip a cyclist, if anything.

Anyway, speculation at this point.

SloppySchleckonds

Postby SloppySchleckonds » Thu Apr 17, 2014 10:44 am

Just sickening.
I'm sorry you don't believe in miracles

adr82

Postby adr82 » Thu Apr 17, 2014 10:52 am

rpherts wrote:"smashed front window screen on its passenger side" suggests that the car simply ploughed straight through. An overtaking manouver would clip a cyclist, if anything.

Anyway, speculation at this point.

I was thinking that perhaps someone had pulled out to overtake at high speed, realised too late oncoming traffic was going to hit them and automatically swerved back to their left, hitting the cyclist instead. Could equally well have been been a "straight through" thing but there'd be even less excuse for that on a stretch of road so wide open and straight! But yes all speculation at the moment.

oxoman

Postby oxoman » Thu Apr 17, 2014 11:46 am

Very Sad and also very frightening, that road resembles nearly every quiet road that we cyclists try to keep to.
I trust the old bill get to the bottom of the cause quickly.
Moda Bolero with Shimano 105 Triple
Dawes Giro 300 Winter / Wet Commuter
Giant Anthem 27,5 SX

Mekong Velo

Postby Mekong Velo » Thu Apr 17, 2014 13:31 pm

RIP to the poor rider, very sad.

Regards
Cervelo R3
Tarmac Elite

dragonontheedge

Postby dragonontheedge » Thu Apr 17, 2014 13:38 pm

My thoughts are with the family.So sad.
Hey, maybe you haven't been keeping up on current events, but we just got our asses kicked, pal!

phillips1965

Postby phillips1965 » Thu Apr 17, 2014 13:48 pm

Respects go out to the cyclists family. Another shocking loss of life. It is difficult to say who was to blame but really makes you think twice about sharing the roads with motor vehicles. Just wondering if the poor cyclist was wearing a head cam or any form of photographic evidence?

dee4life2005

Postby dee4life2005 » Thu Apr 17, 2014 14:13 pm

I'm from Dundee, and have cycled that stretch of road a few times. It's generally fairly straight with good visibility, as seen by the photo, which is why I tend to go that way, which makes this incident all the more shocking and makes you think about your own safety on what is after all a quieter country road. So sad, and my thoughts are with the family.

The description of damage to the van would suggest that the driver didn't even see the cyclist :shock:

reg_

Postby reg_ » Thu Apr 17, 2014 14:20 pm

Tragic loss of life :(

rickeverett

Postby rickeverett » Thu Apr 17, 2014 16:37 pm

dee4life2005 wrote:I'm from Dundee, and have cycled that stretch of road a few times. It's generally fairly straight with good visibility, as seen by the photo, which is why I tend to go that way, which makes this incident all the more shocking and makes you think about your own safety on what is after all a quieter country road. So sad, and my thoughts are with the family.

The description of damage to the van would suggest that the driver didn't even see the cyclist :shock:

Van drivers are dic*s at the best of times and never allow enough room.

Roads are getting dangerous by the day, thats why im surprised at cyclists who think two-abreast, RLJ, and other risky business is acceptable, esp country lanes.

rattyc5

Postby rattyc5 » Thu Apr 17, 2014 18:51 pm

how the hell could he of not seen the cyclist!
most car drivers I see overtaking cyclist don't give a damn, they overtake with traffic coming the other way leaving only inches of space for us cyclists.

Fat Cat

Postby Fat Cat » Thu Apr 17, 2014 19:47 pm

RIP and condolences to their nearest and dearest

Ck101

Postby Ck101 » Thu Apr 17, 2014 22:14 pm

Definitely one where use of a mobile phone by the driver should be investigated.

I was skimmed last year by a driver on a similar road only to catch him at a set of lights half a mile up the road on the phone texting or on facebook.

RIP.

Wirral_Paul

Postby Wirral_Paul » Fri Apr 18, 2014 06:56 am

So sad for the family of the guy concerned. :(

Still - whilst this is a cycling forum, there is far too much jumping to conclusions automatically blaming the van driver. Nobody yet knows the details but while the driver could be guilty as charged of any of the above (^^^), the van could also be completely blameless. Lets not jump to any groundless conclusions without any facts hey please. Once the facts are known then maybe then we can all call for the van driver to be strung up - but equally remember there might be a completely blameless driver who has to live with this on his conscience for the rest of their life.

tootsie323

Postby tootsie323 » Fri Apr 18, 2014 07:31 am

Condolences to the nearest and dearest fof the cyclist.

As above, there is bery little in the article that we can draw any deficitive conclusions from, specifically with determining responsibility. Similarly, the article itself does is very neutral in its content. Contrary to the OP's assertion, it is not described as a 'serious car accident' but as a serious road traffic collision.

A Police Scotland spokeswoman confirmed that officers were making inquiries into a serious road traffic collision...

All I might speculate is that the cyclist may not have suffered for long, if at all, before sadly passing on.

Aberdeen_lune

Postby Aberdeen_lune » Fri Apr 18, 2014 07:37 am

Aye your right the cyclist must have jumped out in front of him.

The sooner we get some laws to protect cyclists more the better. It's a real shame cyclists have to die before something is done. Poor bloke, I feel for his family, it's all very sad and heartbreaking.

Let me just make one point a car is a lethal weapons the sooner drivers realise that and drive with due care and attention the better. The ones that don't need to be locked up. None of this careless driving it's dangerous driving.

Guanajuato

Postby Guanajuato » Fri Apr 18, 2014 08:01 am

With such a long straight, there's absolutely no way he couldn't be seen. My experience is that some drivers, particularly van & bus drivers, seem to think it's a good game to see how close they can pass. There's no excuse for this prick and they should throw the book at them. But we all know it'll be a slap on the wrist rather than the ban for life out should be. If they can't see other road users in that situation, they should never be let back on the road.
I do appreciate the attempted balanced viewpoint in over of the earlier posts, but I just can't see any credible defence here. If they pulled in whilst trying to overtake, then they should have been aware and not started to overtake.

kiwimatt

Postby kiwimatt » Fri Apr 18, 2014 10:16 am

Guanajuato wrote:With such a long straight, there's absolutely no way he couldn't be seen.

+1
It's unusual to get published photos of the accident scene and vehicle as clearly as in this incident. You can see the long straight road before the accident site and the impact on the front left corner light and windscreen of the van. The driver 'looked but didn't see' no doubt he will be telling the police. Bo**ocks. Anything but a long stretch in the jail will be an outrage. Just makes me sick. Local music teacher and all round good guy as usual. How hard do you have to hit him so that death is instant and the 'cyclist wasn't taken to hospital'.Poor bastard.

Return to “Road General”