how can I get my avg speed up

When drugs don't work: training and health tips!
gubber12345

how can I get my avg speed up

Postby gubber12345 » Mon May 05, 2014 15:53 pm

Hi all
been cycling now almost a couple of years now and I dont seem to be able to get my avg speed above 17-18 mph.i ride 3 times a week, 2 x 25 milers week nights and a 50+ miler at the weekend.
is there any regime I can do to try and bring it up or is it just a case of more miles per week.

not training for anything only an 85 mile sportif later in the year and my only goal is to increase avg speed if I can as I would like to do this in a good time if I can.
cannondale supersix

NapoleonD

Re: how can I get my avg speed up

Postby NapoleonD » Mon May 05, 2014 16:13 pm

Intervals, consistency and recovery are your friend.
Twitter - @NapD
Strava - Dense Voigt

jibberjim

Postby jibberjim » Mon May 05, 2014 16:57 pm

aerodynamics, ride with other people - training is a waste...
Jibbering Sports Stuff: http://jibbering.com/sports/

littledove44

Postby littledove44 » Mon May 05, 2014 18:00 pm

Why bother, that's a really nice speed!

Seriously though, your options are, in no particular order.

1. Improve your power (get fitter and stronger).
2. Reduce your body weight (as long as you don't lose power as well).
3. Lighten your bike (it helps, but not a lot).
4. Adopt a more aerodynamic position (again, as long as you don't do so in such a manner as to make a bigger power loss than aerodynamic gain).
5. Make your bike more aerodynamic. (it helps, but not a lot).

Which one turns out to be most important will depend on how bad you are in that category in the first place.

The option is to ride smarter. Hide behind people and get a free speed increase. :)
Specialized Roubaix Compact Sport Ultegra
Moozes Boreas Ultegra
Time Fluidity S VIP Ultegra
Marin MTB
Watch this space...... I have an incurable disease.

markhewitt1978

Postby markhewitt1978 » Mon May 05, 2014 18:18 pm

17-18mph is a good average. I'm usually around 15ish.

t4tomo

Postby t4tomo » Mon May 05, 2014 18:51 pm

Why?
You ride at a decent pace, you're not racing, just riding for enjoyment, so just enjoy it.

Alternatively move to East Anglia, the flatter terrain will increase your average speed :D
Bianchi Infinito CV
Bianchi Via Nirone 7 Ultegra
Brompton S Type
Carrera Vengeance Ultimate Ltd
Gary Fisher Aquila '98
Front half of a Viking Saratoga Tandem

john1967

Postby john1967 » Mon May 05, 2014 19:36 pm

t4tomo wrote:Why?
You ride at a decent pace, you're not racing, just riding for enjoyment, so just enjoy it.

Alternatively move to East Anglia, the flatter terrain will increase your average speed :D

WHY? because he wants to improve...17-18mph is good 18-19mph is better.

NapoleonD wrote:Intervals, consistency and recovery are your friend.

This..try replacing your midweek rides with high intensity intervals,it does bring improvements.

jibberjim

Postby jibberjim » Mon May 05, 2014 19:46 pm

Because one of the things about enjoying cycling is riding to interesting places... most people have some time constraints in their cycling, by increasing the average speed, you get to visit people, I've been known to put on deep sections so I can travel further to see a particular place and still get back when I wanted.
Jibbering Sports Stuff: http://jibbering.com/sports/

briantrumpet

Postby briantrumpet » Mon May 05, 2014 22:06 pm

jibberjim wrote:I've been known to put on deep sections so I can travel further to see a particular place and still get back when I wanted.

Or, similarly, I've been known to leave too little time to do a particular length ride, and have something really important I must get back for. It doesn't half help you keep going on the return part of the ride and push you to dig deeper than you might have done otherwise.

It really is possible to want to ride faster and still enjoy yourself - the two aren't mutually exclusive.

awavey

Postby awavey » Mon May 05, 2014 22:14 pm

its not half as flat as people think (Im convinced people only ever get as far as the Fens) and even when it is flatter there are coastal cross/headwinds to contend with.

but I would have thought distance is more the thing to be thinking about if an 85mile sportive is the goal

DeVlaeminck

Postby DeVlaeminck » Tue May 06, 2014 10:24 am

Need to tell us what these 50 and 25 mile rides consist of
sign for Mickleover Sports FC U14 girls

markhewitt1978

Postby markhewitt1978 » Tue May 06, 2014 10:28 am

Not sure on the exact formula but at those sorts of speeds wind resistance is the major issue and it increases with the square of speed so it takes twice as much extra effort to go from 16 to 17mph average as it does to go from 17 to 18mph average. You can somewhat overcome that with a more aggressive position on the bike, tight clothing etc.

Of course that doesn't really help with hills which is down to weight vs power output.

BrandonA

Postby BrandonA » Tue May 06, 2014 12:51 pm

Not sure why people question the OP speed. No matter how fast he rides, its up to him if he wants to go faster. Personally I'm constantly striving to go faster even though I'm a bit faster than he is. Nothing wrong with wanting to maximize your potential

How hard are you pushing yourself? I think some people could go faster if they put more effort in. I'm not the fastest person in the world but I'm not happy if I think that I've not given a ride 100% of my effort.

Sometimes pacing on a ride can affect your performance. If for example you power it up a few big miles it may have a negative effect on your cruising speed which may result in a slower ride. Or if you start to fast you may fade in the second half of the ride.

meanredspider

Postby meanredspider » Tue May 06, 2014 13:19 pm

If you continue to do the same things, you will naturally plateau. As suggested above, mix it up a bit. You might also want to try adding to the distance that you ride at weekends. I've been doing endurance training this year and now a century seems quite normal (did two last week as part of 560k & 4500m I did that week). The spin-off is that my pace on shorter rides has really improved too and I'm finding I can average 20mph on the flat for a couple of hours solo and wind-neutral (a loop) which was a pleasant surprise. I've done no interval training (yet) but I do plan to add it. I'm at the point where my legs will go on and on now I just need "the lungs" to go with them at real power.
ROAD < Scott Foil HMX Di2, Volagi Liscio Di2, Jamis Renegade Elite Di2, Cube Reaction Race > ROUGH

markhewitt1978

Postby markhewitt1978 » Tue May 06, 2014 13:23 pm

meanredspider wrote:If you continue to do the same things, you will naturally plateau. As suggested above, mix it up a bit. You might also want to try adding to the distance that you ride at weekends. I've been doing endurance training this year and now a century seems quite normal (did two last week as part of 560k & 4500m I did that week). The spin-off is that my pace on shorter rides has really improved too and I'm finding I can average 20mph on the flat for a couple of hours solo and wind-neutral (a loop) which was a pleasant surprise. I've done no interval training (yet) but I do plan to add it. I'm at the point where my legs will go on and on now I just need "the lungs" to go with them at real power.

Just did my first 100 yesterday and it's hard to imagine that being 'normal'. But then again I used to think 50 miles was a massive ride and now that's just a normal half day spin.

meanredspider

Postby meanredspider » Tue May 06, 2014 13:29 pm

markhewitt1978 wrote:Just did my first 100 yesterday and it's hard to imagine that being 'normal'. But then again I used to think 50 miles was a massive ride and now that's just a normal half day spin.

Absolutely - I only did my first one this time last year (4 in a row on the a Rat Race a Road Trip L2E) and it seemed massive then so it's funny how quickly the distances shrink when you get a few under your belt. I was thinking only today that I'd hardly bother going out for 25 miles which is why I should really add interval training to practice what I preach and mix it up some more. Hills don't worry me any more either - but that's a good thing because I'm training to do Alpe D'HuZes in a month's time - 6x up Alpe d'Duez in a day. - over 6000m
ROAD < Scott Foil HMX Di2, Volagi Liscio Di2, Jamis Renegade Elite Di2, Cube Reaction Race > ROUGH

gubber12345

Postby gubber12345 » Tue May 06, 2014 20:29 pm

DeVlaeminck wrote:Need to tell us what these 50 and 25 mile rides consist of

25 milers consist of just going out and pushing and getting around as quick as possible and the sunday ride is either with the club or a few mates at a more relaxed pace.
cannondale supersix

gubber12345

Postby gubber12345 » Tue May 06, 2014 20:37 pm

DeVlaeminck wrote:Need to tell us what these 50 and 25 mile rides consist of

the 25 milers are usually just try and get round as quickly as possible and the weekend one is either a club run or out with a mate at a more relaxed pace usually 15-16 avg.

actually feels like I have plateaued at the minute so feel I need to try something different to get out of it.
cannondale supersix

Toks

Postby Toks » Tue May 06, 2014 22:29 pm

You're going to have to do 1, 2 or perhaps all of the following
1. Ride more frequently - 5-6 days per week
2. Ride more intensively - go harder on current rides
3. Get more aerodynamic - ride in the drops (get tighter fitting clothing)
4. Increase the duration of rides - ride for longer

Some of these things may be done with much faster group/club
Good luck

CRAIGO5000

Postby CRAIGO5000 » Wed May 07, 2014 12:59 pm

Don't stop?

I can't believe this advice hasn't been offered? Average speed can mean very little in terms of ride quality.

I can average over 21mph on my 5.5 mile commute to/from work if I get through all the lights. If i get stopped on a few occasions then it'll plummet as low as 18mph?

It's an indicator, but can't be used to assess the quality of ones fitness/power. What if it's really windy one day and the next it isn't?
Ribble Stealth/SRAM Force
2007 Specialized Allez (Double) FCN - 3

Return to “Training, Fitness and Health”