Little Pete out of the Giro with illness

Talk about competitive road cycling in all its forms
Yellow Peril

Little Pete out of the Giro with illness

Postby Yellow Peril » Tue May 06, 2014 10:29 am

http://www.cyclingweekly.co.uk/racing/g ... ess-121883

E£DIT: he was due to ride a local Sportive with Big Pete yesterday but DNS'd.

Sky not having much luck at the moment.
@JaunePeril

Winner of the Bike Radar Pro Race Wiggins Hour Prediction Competition

Turfle

Re: Little Pete out of the Giro with illness

Postby Turfle » Tue May 06, 2014 11:11 am

Half (well maybe not half) of my excitement has now gone. This was the perfect opportunity for Li'l Pete to test himself over 3 weeks, relatively free of pressure. Oh, well.

I wonder what they'll do with him now. Target Tour domestique again, or let him ride for himself in races like Route du Sud, Tour of Austria, or even the Vuelta?

calvjones

Postby calvjones » Tue May 06, 2014 11:24 am

On the upside, Sky's Tour team is getting stronger and stronger.

Strava is not Zen.

FleshTuxedo

Postby FleshTuxedo » Tue May 06, 2014 11:28 am

B*gger. It would have been good to see what he could do, if he'd been given leadership.

TailWindHome

Postby TailWindHome » Tue May 06, 2014 12:15 pm

calvjones wrote:On the upside, Sky's Tour team is getting stronger and stronger.

Mikkel Condé v2.0 ‏@mrconde · 52m
Team Sky's Tour de France team will be frightening in the mountains. Froome, Porte, Henao, Nieve, Kennaugh etc will all be fresh in July.
"ARE YOU NOT ENTERTAINED? IS THIS NOT WHY YOU ARE HERE?"

Blazing Saddles

Postby Blazing Saddles » Tue May 06, 2014 12:52 pm

calvjones wrote:On the upside, Sky's Tour team is getting stronger and stronger.

No upside to having to put all your eggs into one basket a year.
The Sky Giro team is a poor joke, given their supposed strength in depth.
"Science is a tool for cheaters". An anonymous French PE teacher.

Yellow Peril

Postby Yellow Peril » Tue May 06, 2014 12:58 pm

SO late in the day I think I'd be tempted to sacrifice GC and just to give as much support to a rider like Swift to see if he can snatch a couple of stage wins.
@JaunePeril

Winner of the Bike Radar Pro Race Wiggins Hour Prediction Competition

calvjones

Postby calvjones » Tue May 06, 2014 13:02 pm

Blazing Saddles wrote:

No upside to having to put all your eggs into one basket a year.
The Sky Giro team is a poor joke, given their supposed strength in depth.

I suspect they couldn't give a flying toss.

Not that it sits easily with me.

Strava is not Zen.

Turfle

Postby Turfle » Tue May 06, 2014 13:03 pm

Even with Pete in there, the plan was for stages rather than GC.

Kennaugh, Cataldo, Suitsou would all be allowed to ride GC, but they'd also be stage hunting with EBH and Swift and whoever.

Turfle

Postby Turfle » Tue May 06, 2014 13:06 pm

Bit harsh. Siutsou (top 10 in the Giro in 2011) and Cataldo (12th in 2011 and 2012) are not bad 3rd or 4th options for a team to have.

Macaloon

Postby Macaloon » Tue May 06, 2014 13:20 pm

The most dominant stage racing team of all time can't field a credible challenger for the second biggest race of the year. Righto.

As for the Tour, Froome needs protection from cobbles, crashes and lumpy-stage ambushes, more than a longer moutain train. Wiggins would be of more use than a climber.

And what is Kerrison up to? Last year half the Tour riders were over-cooked on arrival. This year it's illness. Bad luck or bad preparation?
...a rare 100% loyal Pro Race poster. A poster boy for the community.

DeVlaeminck

Postby DeVlaeminck » Tue May 06, 2014 15:29 pm

Turfle wrote:Bit harsh. Siutsou (top 10 in the Giro in 2011) and Cataldo (12th in 2011 and 2012) are not bad 3rd or 4th options for a team to have.

It's a bit poor of Sky though as these are probably at best the 5th and 6th best stage racers in the squad (I say at best, I don't know if they are even that good because they have been so far under the radar) and none of the top 4 are actually injured or ill.
sign for Mickleover Sports FC U14 girls

Turfle

Postby Turfle » Tue May 06, 2014 15:40 pm

DeVlaeminck wrote:
Turfle wrote:Bit harsh. Siutsou (top 10 in the Giro in 2011) and Cataldo (12th in 2011 and 2012) are not bad 3rd or 4th options for a team to have.

It's a bit poor of Sky though as these are probably at best the 5th and 6th best stage racers in the squad (I say at best, I don't know if they are even that good because they have been so far under the radar) and none of the top 4 are actually injured or ill.

It doesn't make sense for them to send Porte, only to see him destroyed, and too fatigued to be effective in the Tour.

Who else is there? Nieve is about the same level GC rider as Cataldo, and Siutsou.

Paulie W

Postby Paulie W » Tue May 06, 2014 15:50 pm

Sky have a pretty good team for winning stages - EBH and Swift will be in the mix on the tougher sprint stages (and there are a few which are uphill); EBH and Siutsou in particular are capable of breakaway wins while Cataldo is in with a shout in the TTs. In the context of raising the Sky profile in an important market, this seems a much more likely strategy than trying to garner a top 10 for Cataldo or Siutsou.

DeVlaeminck

Postby DeVlaeminck » Tue May 06, 2014 15:51 pm

Well the top 4 would be Froome, Porte, Wiggins and Henao and they've ended up in a situation where none of the 4 are contesting the second biggest stage race of the year.
sign for Mickleover Sports FC U14 girls

Rick Chasey
Lives Here

Postby Rick Chasey » Tue May 06, 2014 15:54 pm

Paulie W wrote:Sky have a pretty good team for winning stages - EBH and Swift will be in the mix on the tougher sprint stages (and there are a few which are uphill); EBH and Siutsou in particular are capable of breakaway wins while Cataldo is in with a shout in the TTs. In the context of raising the Sky profile in an important market, this seems a much more likely strategy than trying to garner a top 10 for Cataldo or Siutsou.

Given the BMC news I'd be surprised if ebh rides the tour at all.

gsk82

Postby gsk82 » Tue May 06, 2014 16:07 pm

DeVlaeminck wrote:Well the top 4 would be Froome, Porte, Wiggins and Henao and they've ended up in a situation where none of the 4 are contesting the second biggest stage race of the year.

They've all got good reasons for not been there.

Im sure sky will be fine on the few easy cobble sections with Wiggins and Thomas and possibly Stannard or Eisel.
Rule #72 // Legs speak louder than words.
Unless you routinely demonstrate your riding superiority and the smoothness of your Stroke, refrain from discussing your power meter, heartrate, or any other riding data

Pross

Postby Pross » Tue May 06, 2014 16:57 pm

Imagine the negative comments if Wiggins had been given team leadership a month or so back 'why are they giving him another chance, he couldn't be bothered last year. They should be thinking of the younger riders' etc. etc.

mulletmaster

Postby mulletmaster » Tue May 06, 2014 17:51 pm

Imagine froome gets caught in a first week crash in France though, that's sky's entire season totally written off. Cannot be the best way to run a team.

JSCL

Postby JSCL » Tue May 06, 2014 18:06 pm

mulletmaster wrote:Imagine froome gets caught in a first week crash in France though, that's sky's entire season totally written off. Cannot be the best way to run a team.

How so? Send one of the strongest GT teams possible and have a situation where there's a fallback. The same could be said for last years Tour, these things do happen, you just have to be prepared for them.
Follow me on Twitter - http://twitter.com/scalesjason - All posts are my personal view, not that of my employers.

Return to “Pro Race”