Team Halfords Bikehut won the coveted Bob Chicken trophy and overall series win at the Tour Series in
Billed as the 'Showdown on the Seafront' the final leg of the 2009 Tour Series arrived in
As the teams rolled-out for one last time in 2009 there were some nervous looking faces amongst the top three teams of Halfords, Candi TV and Rapha-Condor, showing just how much this series has come to mean to some of the UK's top professional racing teams.
The early exchanges, however, came from the teams a little lower down the standings as Endura and Sport-Beans fired men off the front in the opening laps, and cyclingbargains local-man Jason White turned a big gear and sucked the field along the Western Esplanade.
Sprint number one heralded the time for some of the big guns to show their mettle, with Rapha's
A familiar face of Russell Downing accelerated out of the final turn on this hotdog shaped circuit and easily took the first sprint from Chris Newton and Rob Hayles.
Unfortunately for some of the teams this powerful injection of pace from the Candi TV man signalled one gear-change too many, and significant gaps appeared in the peloton. A small group of seven riders skipped off the front after 20 minutes of racing, with Rapha-Condor, Candi TV, Halfords, BMC, Corley Cycles, Sigma Sport and Sport-Beans represented.
The tempo was furious as the riders flew around the circuit averaging over 32 mph.
Into the last lap Sigma Sport man Wouter Sybrandy made a long attempt for the line, with the key players more interested in the minor placings. Team Halfords’ Rob Hayles had other ideas though and caught Sybrandy within inches of the line for a photo finish.
The judges consulted the cameras and announced their verdict - and it was to be Team Halfords' night. Rob Hayles won the sprint to take the individual win, he was ably backed up by Ian Wilkinson in 4th and Ed Clancy in 13th as they took the win on the night and the 2009 Tour Series title.
Team Results – Round 10
- Team Halfords BikeHut
- Candi TV – Marshalls Pasta
- Rapha – Condor
- Team Corley Cycles
- Sports Beans – Wilier
- Sigma Sport Cycling Team
- Endura Racing
- BMC UK Racing Team
Individual Results – Round 10
- Rob Hayles TEAM HALFORDS BIKEHUT
- Malcolm Elliot CANDI TV-MARSHALLS PASTA
- Wouter Sybrandy SIGMA SPORT-SPECIALIZED
- Ian Wilkinson TEAM HALFORDS BIKEHUT
- Marcin Bialoblocki SPORT BEANS-WILIER
- Dale Appleby CANDI TV-MARSHALLS PASTA
- Stephen Adams MADISON.CO.UK
- Matthew Higgins TEAM CORLEY CYCLES
- Kristian House RAPHA-CONDOR
- Tom Southam RAPHA-CONDOR
Final Team standings
- Team Halfords BikeHut 96 points
- Candi TV – Marshalls Pasta 94 points
- Rapha – Condor 91 points
- Madison.co.uk 84 points
- Sigma Sport Cycling Team 51 points
- Sports Beans – Wilier 50 points
- Team Corley Cycles 44 points
- Endura Racing 28 points
- www.cyclingbargains.com 22 points
- BMC UK Racing Team 20 points