Crankworx 2009: Leov wins Garbanzo DH, Strait takes dual slalom
By BikeRadar | Monday, August 10, 2009 9.03am
The Kokanee Crankworx mountain bike festival in Whistler, Canada concluded over the weekend with some of the best riders in the world taking part in the dual slalom and Monster Energy Garbanzo Downhill.
New Zealand rider Justin Leov (13:44.55) took top spot in the downhill race, ahead of Australians Chris Kovarik (13:46.61) and Sam Hill (13:48.31).
The 330 riders had just one race run on the course that dropped 3,400ft through some of the most challenging and aggressive terrain in the Whistler Mountain Bike Park.
Leov said: “I held it pretty solid and then during the last minute I really smashed it. Near the end I was just holding on and it worked out.”
Top ten results
- Leov Justin NZL Trek World Racing 13:44.55 +0.00
- Kovarik Chris AUS Chain Reaction Cycl 13:46.61 +2.06
- Hill Sam AUS Monster Energy, Spe 13:48.31 +3.76
- Beaumont Marc GBR GT Bicycles 13:58.55 +14.00
- Keene Curtis USA Specialized 14:02.55 +18.00
- Neethling Andrew RSA Trek World Racing 14:11.32 +26.77
- Smith Steve CAN MS Evil RACING, Re 14:16.96 +32.41
- Atkinson Bryn AUS Crank Brothers, Inte 14:17.69 +33.14
- Reading Jack GBR Ellsworth, ONeal 14:20.45 +35.90
- Guardia Bernat ESP Massi 14:21.63 +37.08
Miller wins women’s Monster Energy Garbanzo Downhill
Canadian rider Miranda Miller won the women’s category with a time of 16:32.32, beating Frenchwoman Emmeline Ragot (16:36.01) and American Kathy Pruitt (16:52:64).
Miller said: “I just tried to make sure I pedalled hard out of every berm. It was a little rough and studded but still, a really good course.”
Top ten results
- Miller Miranda CAN Santa Cruz 16:32.32 +0.00
- Ragot Emmeline FRA Suspension center 16:36.01 +3.69
- Pruitt Kathy USA Jamis 16:52.64 +20.32
- Griffiths Fionn GBR Norco World Team 16:57.56 +25.24
- Uyesugi Danice CAN CCN, Trek, Sram 17:12.70 +40.38
- Carpenter Manon GBR Maxxis Royal, 661, Ticket2Ride 17:49.15 +1:16.83
- Strand Katrina CAN Oakley, Shimano, Maxxis 18:03.81 +1:31.49
- Mancer Kari CAN Whistler Bike CO 18:04.43 +1:32.11
- Cashen Dawn CAN Cycle Path Kelowna 18:16.76 +1:44.44
- Skoglund Lina SWE POC 18:20.73 +1:48.41
Strait upsets Lopes to win dual slalom
KyleStrait beat fellow US rider Brian Lopes to win the Crankworx dual slalom. American Neko Mullaly took third and German 4X and downhill rider Johannes Fischbach took fourth.
Watch dual slalom highlights now:
BikeRadar is not responsible for the
content of external websites
Please install Adobe Flash player to view this content
Strait said: “I just rode as fast and as smooth as I could. You can’t think too much about the race, you need to just ride. It’s awesome to get a good result like this.”
Kintner dominates women’s dual slalom
Jill Kinter took the win in the Pro Women category, beating British rider Fionn Griffiths. US rider Melissa Buhl finished third with Canadian Micayla Gatto finishing in fourth place.
You can follow BikeRadar on Twitter at twitter.com/bikeradar and on
Facebook at facebook.com/BikeRadar.
can also improve your fitness and train with us on training.bikeradar.com.