Alberto Contador blasts 'outdated' doping rules

By AFP | Monday, February 7, 2011 9.29am

Three-time Tour de France champion Alberto Contador, who is facing a one-year ban for taking performance enhancing drugs, blasted anti-doping regulations on Friday which he said "remain stuck in the '60s."

"Today, advances in science are able to detect minute amounts of some banned substances which neither further athletic performance nor can possibly be taken voluntarily, except if they enter our bodies through ingested food. This is my case with clenbuterol," the Spanish rider said in a statement on his website. "But whereas scientific advances have arrived in the year 2011, the rule remains stuck in the 60s, hence my 'crime' and possible sanction.

"Only by combining scientific advances with modifications to the anti-doping rules will it be possible to talk about honest and fair sport, as I have always practiced it."

The Spanish cycling federation (RFEC) informed Contador last week of its recommendation of a one-year suspension for his positive drugs test from the 2010 Tour de France.

The 28-year-old has said he plans to appeal, but faces becoming only the second Tour de France champion to be stripped of his title, after American Floyd Landis in 2006.

The rider denies any wrongdoing and says he unknowingly ingested trace elements of the banned substance clenbuterol from beef brought from Spain to France during the second rest day of the Tour.

© AFP 2011

You can follow BikeRadar on Twitter at twitter.com/bikeradar and on Facebook at facebook.com/BikeRadar.
You can also improve your fitness and train with us on training.bikeradar.com.

User Comments

Post a Comment:

BikeRadar Partner Offers

Fitness Matches

Fitness Matches

-

Dating to get your pulse racing - get 50% off your first month with code FM50

MuchBetterAdventures

MuchBetterAdventures

-

Find the right cycling holiday for you with MuchBetter Adventures