Carlos Sastre may race Tour de France, says Cervelo (updated)

Team will make decision later this week

Cervelo Test team said that a decision on whether 2008 Tour de France champion Carlos Sastre races in this year's renewal will be made later this week, it announced on Monday.

The 35-year-old Spaniard had looked to be a certain starter earlier on Monday but a statement issued later cast some doubt as to whether he would be selected for the July 3-25 race.

Sastre was not planning to race the Tour de France, having just completed a near disastrous Giro d'Italia. He suffered three crashes before finishing in eighth place overall behind champion Ivan Basso.

He has undergone medical tests by the team and the results will not be known until later this week when they will then announce their starting line-up.

"Of course we are hoping that Carlos can ride the Tour de France, but his health is still our first priority," said Joop Alberda, the team's General Manager said.

"For a three-week Tour, a rider must be in top shape and we will definitely take no risk on the health of the athlete. We have to wait for the green light from our medical staff."

Sastre is not scheduled to race any events, including the Spanish national championships on June 27.

Fellow Spaniard Alberto Contador, of Astana, will start as this year's yellow jersey favourite after his second career victory last year.

© AFP 2010

Back to top