Cycle facilities improve in Lancaster
By BikeRadar | Friday, December 7, 2007 4.38am
Santa has delivered plenty of bike-friendly Christmas cheer to Lancaster © Lancaster City Council
The British city of Lancaster has announced a range of improvements to its cycling facilities this year, as well as plans for more in 2008.
The city council listed the following recently completed works - just in time for Christmas:
- An alternative, safer route from north to south Lancaster and the university with the completion of surfacing and verge works on the section of the canal towpath between Aldcliffe Road and Ashton Road.
- Advisory cycle lanes on Ashton Road to improve access to Ashford Road. Signs have been erected directing cyclists to the university cycle route from Hala.
- Carnforth – a new link from the Lancaster Canal towpath to North Road (a Sustrans Links to School project).
- Morecambe – conversion of footways to shared use have been completed on Westgate - between White Lund Road and Langridge Way on the southern side and between Altham Road and the Lancaster to Morecambe Cyclepath on the northern side.
- Parking - bicycle parking is available at the following locations:
Londis Supermarket, Hest Bank Hest Bank Sub Post Office Smugglers Den (Pub), Morecambe Torrisholme Cricket Club Regent Park, Morecambe Happy Mount Park, Morecambe Morecambe Town Centre Town Hall, Lancaster Queen Square, Lancaster Fat Media (Private Business) Castle Hill, Lancaster Penny Street, Lancaster Spring Garden Street, Lancaster Market Square, Lancaster Ryelands House, Lancaster Lancaster Castle/Priory
- More cycle parking is to be installed soon. Cyclists with suggestions for more or better bicycle parking can email firstname.lastname@example.org or send a letter to Rachel Scott, CDT Project Team, Palatine Hall, Dalton Square, Lancaster, LA1 1PW.
For 2008, the city's cycling plans include:
- A contraflow on Phoenix Street to allow cyclists to travel in both directions along this one way street in the centre of Lancaster.
- An upgrade to the path between Hala Estate and Bowerham Road, making it safer for children at Moorside and St. Bernadette's primary schools to get to school.
- Improved links from Lancaster and Morecambe College to the Lancaster to Morecambe cycle path with conversion of footways to shared use on parts of Morecambe Road and a proposed upgrade of the existing pelican crossing to a more cycle-friendly Toucan crossing.
- Improvements are also planned within Lancaster City Centre in 2008 including contra flow cycling on Church Street and Upper Penny Street. The latter will include changes at the Penny Street Bridge junction to aid the movement of cyclists through and around the junction.
- The cycle race circuit at Salt Ayre is due for refurbishment with assistance of a substantial grant from Sport England (approval expected soon).
You can follow BikeRadar on Twitter at twitter.com/bikeradar and on
Facebook at facebook.com/BikeRadar.
can also improve your fitness and train with us on training.bikeradar.com.