The 2008 USA Cycling Elite Track National Championships opened at the ADT Event Center velodrome at the Home Depot Center in Carson, California on Wednesday, as three national champions were crowned on the first day of competition.
Following a meteoric rise in the individual pursuit event since last year’s championships, 18-year-old Taylor Phinney scored an elite title in the men’s kilometer time trial. Phinney clocked a winning time of 1 minute, 3.208 seconds to best silver medalist Jimmy Watkins by more than two seconds, while Stephen Hill finished third.
In the U23 classification of the kilometer time trial, sixth-place overall finisher David Espinoza was awarded the national title with a mark of 1:07.370. Although only 18, Phinney was ineligible for a U23 championship since he is still considered a Junior.
In the only other title awarded on Wednesday, Michael Blatchford clocked a time of 18.388 seconds to win the standing 250-meter time trial over Lanell Rockmore and Watkins.
2008 USA Cycling Elite Track National Championships
Carson, California October. 1 - 5
Men’s Kilometer Time Trial
1. Taylor Phinney (Boulder, Colo.) 1:03.208
2. Jimmy Watkins (Bakersfield, Calif.) 1:05.782
3. Stephen Hill (Winston, Ga.) 1:05.799
6. David Espinoza (Breiginsville, Pa.) 1:07.370*
*U23 National Champion
Men’s 250-Meter Time Trial
1. Michael Blatchford (Cypress, Calif.) 18.388
2. Lanell Rockmore (Bethlehem, Pa.) 18.723
3. Jimmy Watkins (Bakersfield, Calif.) 18.728
© BikeRadar & USA Cycling 2008