Evans gets special edition Gaerne shoes for Tour
By BikeRadar | Thursday, July 3, 2008 11.45am
Gaerne’s G Kangaroo Limited Edition features detailing inspired by Australia Gaerne
Australian cyclist Cadel Evans, winner of the 2007 Pro-Tour and runner up in last year’s Tour de France, is the clear favourite to take the title in the 2008 edition of the Grande Boucle.
And this year he’ll be sporting shoes made especially for him by Italian manufacturer Gaerne. The Cadel Evans G Kangaroo Limited Edition is the company’s top model and takes its design inspiration from the rider’s homeland.
The shoes' uppers feature so-called ‘dot art’ style graphics, as used extensively by Australia's aboriginal population. Using complex geometric patterns formed from multi-coloured dots, the design pays homage to the land Down Under. Dot art is often used to expresses concepts which are fundamental to aboriginal culture and mythology.
The shoes' rear sport the Australian colours, while the sides are emblazoned with wallabies and Cadel’s own signature.
The G Kangaroo Limited Edition is constructed with a single piece of Lorica on the front, inlays of nylon mesh and perforated Lorica on the side, and a high-tech Microfibre lining with anti-skid treatment inside. The handcrafted shoes are claimed to provide optimal ventilation and a precise and comfortable fit. Their highlights include:
• A micro-adjustable aluminium buckle with the new automatic release button
• A newly patented adjustment closure system that allows the maximum adaptability to most foot shapes - once secure the foot will not move during use.
• A special heel cup providing more stability, preventing the foot from rising away from the sole thereby reducing the risk of tendonitis and other effects of poor stability.
• An anatomic, lined inner sole that is perforated to allow air circulation and removable.
• An ultra-thin carbonfibre outer sole that ensures light weight and complete stiffness to maximize power transfer by allowing the foot to be positioned as close to the pedal axle as possible to provide the most efficient pedalling action.
The sole is compatible with all major pedal brands and models and the shoes are available at a limited number of bicycle shops in Europe and the United States.
You can follow BikeRadar on Twitter at twitter.com/bikeradar and on
Facebook at facebook.com/BikeRadar.
can also improve your fitness and train with us on training.bikeradar.com.