Children's bike specialists Islabikes have branched out into the adult market with the new Beinn 29. This simple eight-speed hybrid has been designed for people getting into riding for the first time – particularly parents who want to accompany their kids on rides.
Modelled on the children's range with the same name, but with bigger 700c (29in) wheels, the Beinn 29 costs £399.99 and weighs a relatively svelte (for the price) 12kg/26.5lb, it can take tyres up to 2in wide, and Islabikes say it can be used as easily off-road as it can for commuting.
Designer Tom Payton toldBikeRadar versatility was key in the bike's design. "People were telling us they wanted a single bike they could use for lots of different activities," he said. "And that's what this bike offers – it's mudguard-compatible for touring and is compatible with different sized tyres depending on your activity."
Isla Rowntree, the former British national cyclo-cross champion who founded the company in 2006, added: “We have lots of parents who've been inspired to get back into cycling by their children and feel baffled by the choice out there when all they want is a well designed bike just like their child’s Islabike.” The new bike will be on show at the Mildenhall Cycling Rally in Suffolk on 28-29 August.
- Frame: 7005 T6 heat treated aluminium, sliding dropouts, mudguard and rack eyes, bottle cage bosses
- Fork: Chromoly blades and steerer, mudguard and rack eyes
- Headset: 1-1/8in, sealed bearings
- Handlebar: Aluminium riser, 620mm (small) / 640mm (medium) / 660mm (large)
- Stem: Aluminium, 80mm
- Grips: File pattern
- Seatpost: Aluminium, micro adjust
- Saddle: Islabikes unisex
- Brakes: Tektro aluminium V-brakes
- Brake levers: Aluminium
- Rims: DBM-1 double wall aluminium, 32-hole
- Spokes: Stainless steel, black
- Hubs: Aluminium, quick-release, sealed
- Tyres: 29x1.5in Kenda Kwik Trax
- Cranks: Truvativ, 165mm (small) / 170mm (medium) / 175mm (large)
- Chainring: 32-tooth
- Chainguard: Aluminium
- Bottom bracket: Cartridge w/ sealed bearings
- Pedals: Aluminium, flat
- Rear mech: SRAM X4
- Front mech: None
- Shifter: SRAM 3.0 Comp, eight-speed
- Cassette: SRAM 11-32T
- Approx weight: 11.8kg/25.9lb small, 12kg/26.4lb medium, 12.2kg/26.8lb large
- Sizes: Small (16in), medium (18in) and large (20in)
- Colour: White