This weekend saw the official launch of the BMC UK Racing Team at Redbridge Cycling Centre in Essex. Team members donned their new kit and gathered with sponsors, family and friends to celebrate the launch of their new website.
A new squad for 2009, the BMC UK Racing Team brings together some of the eastern region’s most talented riders. The team of 10 riders, including six under-23s, will ride in the Premier Calendar, National Circuit Series and new Tour Series.
Team manager James Whatling said the young team were ready to take the step onto a bigger stage. He said: “I knew that the key to good performances and, ultimately, a successful season would be to create a real team ethic among the guys. The dream became reality at our training camp in Majorca last week when we were riding along at 30mph in strong crosswinds.
"The riders were all communicating well, pulling hard, rolling smoothly through and working together as one, as a unit, a team. The BMC UK Racing Team are a true team, a group of good mates, and that, coupled with the hard work the guys have put in over the winter in training, will get us through the hard races and the challenges we're going to encounter this season."
- Team manager: James Whatling, 34, of Ingatestone, Essex
- Directeur sportif: Alan Rosner
- Team captain: Andy Lyons, 39, of Chelmsford, Essex (ex-GB, 40+ Elite road race wins)
- Steven Charles, 36, of Hornchurch, Essex
- Ian Franklin, 21, of Chelmsford, Essex
- Steven Griffiths, 22, of Hornchurch, Essex
- Dan Kogan, 20, of Ilford, Essex
- Adam Norris, 21, of Romford. Essex (Eastern regional road race champion, former national junior champion)
- Nino Piccoli, 23, of King's Lynn, Norfolk
- Dean Shannon, 29, of Southend on Sea, Essex
- Joe Skipper, 20, of Lowestoft, Suffolk
- Ben Thompson, 30, of Woodford Green, Essex
- BMC: Pro Machine, Racemaster and Roadracer bikes
- Spiuk UK: eyewear, Daggon helmets and ZS1 Carbon Road shoes
- Green Jersey Web Design: website and technical support
- Rotor Bike Components: Agilis Evo Cranks, Q Rings and SABB bottom brackets
- Mule Bar
- Redbridge Cycling Centre
- Thule: ProRide 591 bike racks
- Pro-Vision Clothing
- PowerTap hubs
- Continental racing tyres: Grand Prix Attack and Force, Grand Prix 4000s Clinchers and Competition Tubulars
- Garmin: Edge 705 GPS-enabled cycling computers