Shorts: Saunier, Lance, PeronClose
issing rider moves Saunier to ProTour lead, Lance to miss Sunday race, Peron sustains minor fracturPIC BY TDWSPORT.COM Saunier Duval have been promoted to the top of the ProTour's team standings after it was revealed that Constantino Zaballa was not classified in Saturday's Milan-San Remo despite finishing 21st. Zaballa's points take the Spanish team to 51, placing them three points ahead of Fassa Bortolo. - Lance Armstrong will not now be starting Sunday's Flche Brabanconne. Discovery Channel DS Dirk Demol told the Belgian media that "the decision has been taken by both the rider and team management". Demol added that the American, who quit the recent Paris-Nice stage race with a fever, is still due to start Paris-Camembert on March 29 and the Tour of Flanders on April 3. - Andrea Peron has been forced out of competition for several days after being told he had sustained a couple of minor fractures in his hand when he crashed in Milan-San Remo. "I was quite surprised to learn about the two fractures, since I wasn't in a lot of pain after the crash. Of course these are just two minor fractures, so I will allow myself to be optimistic. If things go according to plan, I'll be ready for the Giro, a race I wouldn't miss for anything in the World," Peron said on the CSC website. - Naturino-Sapore di Mare rider Sergio Marinangeli was prevented from starting the Coppi e Bartali stage race in Italy yesterday after he delivered a haematocrit result above 50%. Marinangeli will be forced to 'rest' for two weeks. The Naturino team are conducting an investigation into the result before taking any action against the rider. - After being out of racing since last month's Tour of Valencia with tendonitis in his knee and flu, Iban Mayo has returned to action at this week's Semana Catalana six or seven kilos above his ideal racing weight. He is not expected to be close to his best racing form for some weeks and certainly won't be in contention for today's Pyrenean summit finish at Pal. - Abraham Olano, a former winner of the Vuelta a Espa¤a and now the event's technical director, has told El Diario Vasco that the course for this year's Vuelta has been designed with contenders for the subsequent Madrid World Championships very much in mind. "We want the Worlds contenders to come to our race," said Olano, who added that "long stages have been planned in order to help them with their preparation for the Madrid race."