Sinkewitz plans new year comeback

Aiming for Tour of Majorca

German cyclist Patrik Sinkewitz, who admitted to doping last year, plans to make his comeback in January at the Tour of Majorca riding for Team PSK Whirlpool.

"I have signed a one-year contract," the 28-year-old told German television channel TVnews Hessen having joined the Czech Republic-based team and is looking forward to the five-day race around the Spanish island early next year.

Having tested positive for the steroid hormone Testosterone on June 8 2007, Sinkewitz was later banned for a year.

As a result of his failed drugs test, German broadcasters ARD and ZDF both pulled the plug on broadcasting the Tour de France last year.

Sinkewitz, a former Tour of Germany winner, was sacked by his team T-Mobile during the 2007 Tour after the failed test and he later admitted using blood-booster erythropoietin (EPO) and having undergone blood transfusions.

The 27-year-old gave evidence to the German Cycling Federation's (BDR) disciplinary committee last year to have his expected two-year ban reduced to a year and he was fined 40,000 euros (US$50,000).

Sinkewitz's ban expired on July 17 2008 and he insists he has learned his lesson.

Sinkewitz said: "The fact that I can cycle again is gigantic for me, I have learned from my mistakes and would simply like to make a new start. This team offers a new perspective, which I need, and I will start with the Tour of Majorca."

Related Articles

Comments

Back to top