UCI demand Ullrich investigation is reopened

2006 Operacion Puerto scandal refuses to go away

Ex-Tour de France winner Jan Ullrich could still face legal proceedings over the 2006 doping scandal which led to his retirement from cycling, the sport's governing body the UCI said Thursday.

A UCI spokesman has confirmed to German sports agency SID they have appealed to the Court of Arbitration for Sport (CAS) against the Swiss Olympic Committee's decision last month to halt the investigation into Ullrich's past.

In February, it looked like 2006 scandal was behind 36-year-old Ullrich, the former T-Mobile lead rider and 1997 Tour winner, when the Swiss Olympic Committee, with whom Ullrich had a licence, said no further action would be taken against him.

But the UCI have said they are not satisfied with the decision to stop the investigation and insist a decision must be made whether Ullrich is guilty or not.

The Swiss Olympic committee had decided not to pursue the investigation about Ullrich, who lived in Switzerland, because the German resigned from the Swiss cycling federation in 2006.

Ullrich was linked to the Operation Puerto scandal in 2006 after samples of his blood were found during a police raid on Spanish doctor Eufemiano Fuentes who was at the centre of a doping ring.

Ullrich has always insisted he is innocent and has never doped.

© AFP 2010

Related Articles

Back to top