As the dominant force in women's cycling, Marianne Vos has won the UCI road world championship race a whopping three times (and placed second five times) since graduating from the junior ranks at the end of 2005. This year in Florence, the Dutch woman again crushed the competition at worlds, this time aboard an Envie Advanced, Giant's aero bike for women.
The threepeat: Vos won her third world road title in Florence
There are a few notable things about her set-up. One, the world champion is still on 10-speed. Granted, it's Shimano's original Di2 Dura-Ace, 7970. And two, Vos uses Rotor's ovalized Q-Rings, shown here in the aero style to match the aero bike.
Her position is curiously forward, with the saddle slammed forward on a straight post. It is unclear whether this is due to the geometry of the bike, or perhaps her running her cleats a bit farther back on her shoes than normal. While many pros still center their cleats under the ball of their foot, a few road cyclists — and certainly some pro triathletes — has moved theirs back for more leverage. Proponents of this set-up argue that it offers more steady-state power, while critics say it hinders sprinting.
Regardless of esoteric arguments on cleat placement, Vos seems to be producing power just fine, and she records her data on an SRM connected to an older Shimano Dura-Ace crank and the aforementioned Q-Rings.
The rest of the build is fairly straightforward in nature, with pieces anyone with the money could buy: Shimano Dura-Ace C50 tubulars with Vittoria Corsa CX tires, PRO cockpit, Dura-Ace pedals. The gold and rainbow schemes on the bike, however, have to be earned.
Note that Vos' bike shown below is slightly different than the bike she finished worlds on, as that one had a 7900 crank with Q-Rings but without an SRM.
Complete bike specifications
- Frame: Envie Advanced
- Stem: PRO Vibe Aluminum, 110mm
- Handlebar: PRO Vibe Carbon Compact, 40cm
- Brake calipers: Giant Aero
- Front derailleur: Shimano Dura-Ace Di2 7970
- Rear derailleur: Shimano Dura-Ace Di2 7970
- Shifter levers: Shimano Dura-Ace Di2 7970
- Cassette: Shimano Dura-Ace
- Chain: Shimano Dura-Ace
- Cranks: Shimano Dura-Ace
- Chain rings: Rotor Aero Q-Rings
- Power meter: SRM
- Bottom bracket: Shimano Dura-Ace
- Pedals: Shimano Dura-Ace PD-7900
- Front wheel: Shimano C50 tubular
- Rear wheel: Shimano C50 tubular
- Front Tire: Vittoria Corsa CX, 23mm
- Rear Tire: Vittoria Corsa CX, 23mm
- Saddle: fi'zi:k Antares, custom color
- Seatpost: Giant Vector
- Bottle cages: Tacx Tao Carbon
- Rider height:168cm/5'6"
- Rider weight: 58kg/128lb
- Saddle height from BB (c-t): 70.5cm
- Seat-tube length, c-t: 46.5cm
- Head tube length: 16cm
- Top tube length: 54.5mm