Olympic Champion Greg Van Avermaet started his 2017 with a bang, winning the first stage of the Volta a la Comunitat Valenciana and beating Peter Sagan and Sep Vanmarcke in the final sprint to defend his title at Omloop Het Nieuwsblad.
- Tour Down Under 2017 news and bike galleries
- 10 clever hacks used by World Tour race mechanics
- WorldTour mechanics reveal how they pack for long-haul flights
These results come after a hugely successful 2016 season culminating in a victory at the 2016 Rio Olympics, which earned him a gold BMC Team Machine SLR01.
With a glistening gold paint job, Van Avermaet’s size 54 frame is adorned with the Olympic colours along the top tube. Photos really don't do this paint job justice, the way the gold chrome paint catches the light is truly something to behold.
Running Shimano’s Dura-Ace Di2 R9070 group, the Belgian’s bike also sees a SRM power meter with 172.5mm cranks and 53/39T chainrings. Completing the drivetrain was an 11-29T Dura-Ace cassette at the back.
Despite his size and sprinting prowess, Van Avermaet seems to prefer the C35 over the C50 wheels, quite often opting for the shallower rims, which are finished in Continental Competition 25c tubulars.
The touch points are provided by 3T and Fizik, his bars being 390mm 3T Ergonova Team Stealths attached to a 130mm -6-degree ARX II Team Stealth Stem.
Previously we have seen Van Avermaet riding a Fizik Antares saddle, interestingly this bike is equipped with an Arione pushed almost all the way back on the rails.
Complete bike specifications
- Frame: BMC Team Machine SLR01
- Fork: Teammachine SLR, 01 Premium Carbon
- Stem: 3T ARX II Team Stealth Stem120mm +/- 6-degree
- Handlebar: 3T Ergonova
- Tape: 3t Corius
- Front brake: Shimano Dura-Ace R9000
- Rear brake: Shimano Dura-Ace R9000
- Brake/shift levers: Shimano Dura-Ace R9070 Di2
- Cassette: Shimano Dura-Ace, 11-28T
- Chain: Shimano Dura-Ace 11-speed
- Crankset: SRM, 172.5mm
- Wheelset: Shimano C35
- Tyres: Continental Competition tubular, 25mm
- Saddle: Fizik Arione
- Seatpost: Teammachine SLR01
- Bottle cages: Elite Leggero
- Rider's height: 1.81m / 5ft 10in
- Rider's weight: 74kg / 163lbs
- Saddle height from bottom bracket: 765mm
- Centre of saddle to centre of bar: 710mm
- Total bicycle weight: 6.64kg / 14.6lbs (without pedals)
Check out the gallery above for more on the gold medal winner's BMC.