Pro bike: Dan Martin's Cervélo R5
By Sam Dansie | Monday, July 1, 2013 8.58am
Dan Martin (Garmin-Sharp) started in Corsica on a Cervélo R5 specially decorated for the 100th Tour de France Sam Dansie/Future Publishing
Dan Martin (Garmin-Sharp) has enjoyed a breakthrough season this year. Three prestigious wins – a stage and the overall in the Tour of Catalonia, and victory in Liege-Bastogne-Liege – mean the 26-year-old specialist climber has joined the firmament of the best cyclists in the peloton.
This year, Martin’s principal bike for the 2013 Tour de France – only his second – will be the Cervélo R5 – a tried and tested, no nonsense frameset that’s light and stiff, to serve him in the mountains, and aerodynamic enough for use on the fast flat stages.
To celebrate the 100th Tour, Cervélo have painted up limited edition frames for the race. The blue argyle in the badge, yellow details in the frame and flash of scarlet in the Fi’zi:k Antares Braided saddle might not be to everyone’s taste but do make the bike stand out.
Beneath the decals, this bike has pedigree. The 2014 Shimano Dura-Ace 11-speed groupset runs the length of the bike, only interrupted by Rotor SRM cranks and chainrings. The bike we saw during stage 1 weighed 7.23kg (15.94lb), but a saving can be made on the CXR60T wheels that were fitted for the fast and flat opening stage.
Decals denote a bike for an extra special Tour de France
Team manager Jonathan Vaughters believes the experienced Garmin-Sharp squad, weighted towards climbers such as Martin, form “a group of guys that together can create chaos in the race”.
BikeRadar is not responsible for the
content of external websites
Complete bike specification
- Frame: Cervélo R5, 54cm
- Fork: Cervélo R5
- Headset: FSA Orbit IS-2
- Stem: 3T ARX-Team Pro 140mm ±17 degrees
- Handlebar: 3T Rotundo Pro, 42cm (c-c)
- Tape: 3T Pro
- Brakes: Shimano Dura-Ace BR-9000
- Brake levers: Shimano Dura-Ace ST-9070
Front derailleur: Shimano Dura-Ace FD-9070
Rear derailleur: Shimano Dura-Ace RD-9070
- Shift levers: Shimano Dura-Ace STI Dual Control ST-9070
- Cassette: Shimano Dura-Ace CS-9000, 11-25T
- Chain: Shimano Dura-Ace CN-9000
- Crankset: SRM Wireless Rotor Flow, Aero Rings, 53/39T
- Bottom bracket: Rotor press-fit 4630
- Wheels: Mavic Cosmic CXR60T
Tyres: Mavic Yksion CXR GripLink tubular, 25mm
- Pedals: Shimano Dura-Ace SPD PD-9000
- Saddle: Fi'zi:k Antares Braided
- Seatpost: 3T Doric Team
- Bottle cages: Arundel Mandible (2)
Computer: Garmin Edge 510
- Rider's height: 1.76m (5ft 9in)
- Rider's weight: 62kg (136lb)
- Saddle height, from BB (c-t): 740mm
- Saddle setback: 70mm
- Seat tube length, c-c: 540mm
- Tip of saddle nose to c of bars: 568mm
Head tube length: 148mm
- Top tube length: 548mm (horizontal)
Total bicycle weight: 7.23kg (15.94lb) with computer
You can follow BikeRadar on Twitter at twitter.com/bikeradar and on
Facebook at facebook.com/BikeRadar.
can also improve your fitness and train with us on training.bikeradar.com.